• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Who will step up to be the No 8?
Just as Higgers was fitting into that role nicely, we lose him.
Many of the other Super 15 sides have strong No 8's
It's a position we seem to have a serious dearth in.
And please don't say Shatz; he's a 6, not an 8.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Who will step up to be the No 8?
Just as Higgers was fitting into that role nicely, we lose him.
Many of the other Super 15 sides have strong No 8's
It's a position we seem to have a serious dearth in.
And please don't say Shatz; he's a 6, not an 8.

Shatz to 8. Quirk to 6.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Shatz is a hard worker, but not a big player to take the ball up. In some ways the 8 is the leader of the forward pack. But he needs to have sp0eed as well. He's a big No 7. so
please don't say Shatz; he's a 6, not an 8.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
we got 2 very good 8's in Vaea and Fotu at the Brumbies. I see you got 2 opensides in Robinson and Gill. Maybe we can work something out? (if Pocock doesnt come).

J

Jiggles

I wouldn't mind Link going after Talelei Grey for no.8 who is over in France right now.

J

Jiggles

The Rebels should've gone for him over Higginbotham. It would've been an excellent example of a Victorian developed player, playing for his province. It would've been great for the game down there.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels should've gone for him over Higginbotham. It would've been an excellent example of a Victorian developed player, playing for his province. It would've been great for the game down there.

Why+_71a26c6ded34c5fc046c16d8d3154387.jpg

Jokes aside though, Grey doesn't even always start for Biarritz and they were poor this season (by their standards).

If he can other he'd have to work himself into the starting XV, he wouldn't be a ready made starter.

J

Jiggles

I can't see the photo you posted, I think the link may be corrupted.

Either way I wouldn't read to much into consistently starting in France. They have huge squads which they rotate through due to their stupidly long seasons.

From what I have seen he is good enough to be a valuable squad member and the point of the extra teams was to keep more talent at home. So if the Rebels don't want him, I would definitely take him for the Reds.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lots of injury disruption but the players that stood out for me were Chibba and Holmes. I thought they both had outstanding seasons. Gill progressed another year and is justing better and better. The downs were some of the injuries to individuals. I was looking forward to seing McDurling who is highly thought of but his season never got off the ground. Taps early in the year when we were in the slump was by far our best back and was playing himself into a Wallaby jersey for the June tests. Sam Lane showing showing so much promise but having his opportunity cut very short. No news of progress on the Peter Hynes front.

I would like to give this season a good appraisel but the bad taste of last night still lingers.

Bring on 2013.

I was walking my dog around Ballymore on Friday and I'm amost certain I saw Peter Hynes doing some 1 on 1 rehab work.

Hard to believe but maybe there's a comeback in the works? I'd love to see it - you have to admire that sort of spirit.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I can't see the photo you posted, I think the link may be corrupted.

Either way I wouldn't read to much into consistently starting in France. They have huge squads which they rotate through due to their stupidly long seasons.

From what I have seen he is good enough to be a valuable squad member and the point of the extra teams was to keep more talent at home. So if the Rebels don't want him, I would definitely take him for the Reds.

I know but the reality is if you primary game time is in the Challenge Cup and not the Top 14, you're not considered the first choice option.

It was the Old El Paso why can't we have both picture.

T

TOCC

Shatz is a hard worker, but not a big player to take the ball up. In some ways the 8 is the leader of the forward pack. But he needs to have sp0eed as well. He's a big No 7. so

I don't particularly agree, i think Shatz could definitely fill that role, with a back row of Gill-Quirk-Shatz you definitely wouldn't be questioning their workload, these players all have high involvement. They may not make the big runs out on the wing, but they will be more then involved when it comes to rucks and mauls..

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
T

tranquility

Shatz is a carbon-cut number 8, who has played 6 (like many others) as he finds his feet in senior rugby. Quirky is a fantastic prospect at 6, however its a shame he got injured this season as it means he is robbed of 5 or so games that he desperately needs for experience.

About 3 years ago, I said these three would make up a very famous QLD backrow - however I did not expect that they would have to do it so soon. I would like if we could sign an experienced backrower, like Sergio Parisse or equivalent so that there was still someone to set the standard. We shall see on that front.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Shatz is a carbon-cut number 8, who has played 6 (like many others) as he finds his feet in senior rugby. Quirky is a fantastic prospect at 6, however its a shame he got injured this season as it means he is robbed of 5 or so games that he desperately needs for experience.

About 3 years ago, I said these three would make up a very famous QLD backrow - however I did not expect that they would have to do it so soon. I would like if we could sign an experienced backrower, like Sergio Parisse or equivalent so that there was still someone to set the standard. We shall see on that front.

Maybe aim lower than Parisse, he's pretty and a good rugby player. That's worth BIG bucks in France.

Barbieri is practically as good and would be half the price. :)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i have seen nothing at super 15 level to suggest that quirk will be a dominant force over the next few years but i am willing to accept he could grow but i would need to see it soon. Is he out the whole premier grade season?

Schatz is a good player but neither quirk or him have the same explosiveness as higgers who seemed to have a fantastic turn of pace for his size. I feel that quirk & beau robinson lack this as well but are all hard workers. so depends i guess on what type of game link wants to play

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If Shatz takes a genuine off-season and uses it to get bigger he might become a good 8 in the vein of Mowen or maybe (ambitiously) Read. Read was industrious but not a gamebreak at Shatz's age too.

Also, physique-wise Read is listed as 1cm taller than Shatz but 4kg lighter (probably BS but they're in the same ballpark).

See:
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/Reds/RedsSquad/PlayerPage/tabid/583/playerid/24/Default.aspx
http://www.crusaders.co.nz/profile/kieran-read/24/player-details.aspx

Read doesn't particually look a giant of a bloke but what he is exceptional at is Keeping his body height low. He really makes the most of what he has. He is also very gifted in the top 4 inches but young players will develop that with experience. Players like Shatz can learn heaps from the way he plays.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Read doesn't particually look a giant of a bloke but what he is exceptional at is Keeping his body height low. He really makes the most of what he has. He is also very gifted in the top 4 inches but young players will develop that with experience. Players like Shatz can learn heaps from the way he plays.

For sure, Shatz is certainly on the path to play Read's kind of game. Only time will tell if he's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.