• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
An interesting debate going on here regarding Critique of players. Valid points on both sides.

As I have always said, critique (well founded and balanced) is essential to development and improvement.

If we accept that the players at this level are highly motivated, skilled and talented individuals (which I do generally), then one should examine the systems and training methods in use if those players consistently fail to execute the requisite skills at the level expected.

That was the basis of my critique of the Tahs here a few years ago and what Redshappy and I have opined regarding the Reds this year.

If people/fans truly want to see the advancement of their team and improvement in individuals and team outcomes they need to embrace such critique.

T

tranquility

Not that we are part of the side, but this is Dermott Breretons thoughts on team harmony and development.

"The Tigers want to win a flag. And that requires trust among teammates. A trust that for the good of the team, all players attempt to do the right thing. And a trust that if things do go wrong, you all share the blame and not turn on each other.

Sure, you can demand better of your teammates, but you can’t criticise or berate them. That just breaks down that trust."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The relationship between teammates is entirely different to that between fans and a team and the coach and the team.

As fans, we are observers and largely, our discussions on an internet forum go completely unheard amongst teams and players.

It would be different if we were turning up to games and harassing the players and booing them, but we're not. Most of us are amongst the most die hard fans and love supporting our team.

T

TOCC

I think it's also healthy to constructively criticise and identify faults in the players game. I think there is a fine line between constructive criticism, and outright criticism, I've done some training roles within my company's over the years and we have a pretty defined way of training and development which is;

You identify the person, you identify the fault, you offer a solution or improvement to the fault.

What you shouldn't so it criticise a person without telling him his faults, or alternatively identifying his faults and not offering a fix or solution.

I think as long as criticism of players is along these lines then it's fair and warranted.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I AM RED!

red-dog-header.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gill is apparently out for 6 weeks and Toua out for 10.

Whilst he's played more this season than previous years, that's another season ruined for Toua by injury. It looked pretty innocuous when it happened too.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Gill is apparently out for 6 weeks and Toua out for 10.

Whilst he's played more this season than previous years, that's another season ruined for Toua by injury. It looked pretty innocuous when it happened too.

I thought he was gone for season when he did it actually. Torn Pec generally takes ages to heal. At least with mid-season break he should get back in for last 3 rounds.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
And so the injury role starts.
At least there is plenty of depth to cover the losses, and in some cases, will allow those players who are out for two- four weeks to refresh.

T

Tip

It really is perplexing isn't it. Why wouldn't a young outside back be given a chance instead of Frisby. With Lucas covering 9,10, 12 & 15 and Fainga'a coving 12 & 13, we are short on an outside back. Surely a chance should have been given to JJ or Kerevi?

T

TOCC

Frisby is a far better halfback then Lucas. Given the current depth, the bench makes sense, there may have been a temptation to put JJ on the bench instead of Lucas, but Lucas is a proven steady perform at Super Rugby level and has some commendable performances at fullback to his name that none of the other players in the team have.

JJ and Kerevi have been training with the Reds A, Lucas has been in the Reds touring squad, the more your examine it the more it makes sense.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it would have been a good chance to give Frisby a good run for GPS too. I suspect he's played less footy than Lucas lately and Lucas has been injured.

I worry the season is slowly slipping away from us, acknowledging that we've had a tough start to the season.

I will feel a lot more positive after three home wins in a row!

T

Tip

Frisby is a far better halfback then Lucas.
Whilst I tend to agree that Frisby poses more threats around the ruck, he's still prone to brain explosions - one that nearly cost us the game against the cheetahs. I'd go for a better safe than sorry approach especially considering that Genia only ever comes off after the 70th minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.