• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Shipperly apparently out until the end of next year. 18 month recovery.

Jeebus! That's terrible. That's almost up around Yow Yeh's recovery time isn't it? Trying to think of a player that has come back from such a significant injury? Drew Mitchell springs to mind. That was a pretty horrific ankle injury. If he does come back, expect him to have the standard hamstring and calf injuries after.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the 18 months is more the expected timeframe for a full recovery. He should be running and available substantially before that if things go well.

It's similar to the Mitchell and Yow Yeh injuries. There are plenty of potential complications in the recovery and it could go much better or as happened with Yow Yeh, end your career.

In the AFL, Swans player Gary Rohan had a similar injury and returned to the side within a year.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Mitchell was back in like 4 months.

His rushed rehabilitation left him undercooked and barely lasted a couple games after returning.

Yow Yeh is a similar story, but the treating docs in Perth stuffed up and he had complications due to incorrectly cleaning the wound and it got infected. He suffered because of that and was never right after a second round of surgery.

What makes Dom out for 18 months is, it's a 8-12 month recovery period which brings us to the end of Super rugby next year. So the Docs would be erring on the side of caution and say, miss next years games and focus on having the entire pre-season of 2015/16 under your belt.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see when he moves to Melbourne. A lot of players like to be close to home when recovering from these injuries as it makes life easier for them.

It would be very hard to set up your life in a new city if you can't walk.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell's hammy went, his ankle was fine. He rushed it on purpose to be apart of the World Cup which I'm sure he has no regrets about. 18 months sounds ludicrous, he will be right for at least a month of pre-season.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
We should give up on this thread now and move chatter to the 2015 thread. 2014 is done and dusted for the Reds (and hopefully swept under the carpet and forgotten about)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Mitchell's hammy went, his ankle was fine. He rushed it on purpose to be apart of the World Cup which I'm sure he has no regrets about. 18 months sounds ludicrous, he will be right for at least a month of pre-season.

So the recovery time Mitchell had didn't have an effect on his strength and conditioning especially on an area he's had problems before?

As I said, 18 months is drawn out. Just like Pocock's injury. Hypothetically, he could be right for the spring tour, but why risk it? It's the same for Dom, why rush it for a couple games at the end of next year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the recovery time Mitchell had didn't have an effect on his strength and conditioning especially on an area he's had problems before?

As I said, 18 months is drawn out. Just like Pocock's injury. Hypothetically, he could be right for the spring tour, but why risk it? It's the same for Dom, why rush it for a couple games at the end of next year?

Yeah, different situations though. Rushing back to try and make the RWC is a totally different situation to rushing back to try and play a few games of Super Rugby.

That said, I expect Shipperley will play by part way through next season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course, that's why his hammy blew.. My point was his ankle was ready to run/take contact on after 4 months. He just didn't have time to get conditioning done on the rest of the his body as he wasn't running. Shipperey will be 100% good to go in 6 months you'd think.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, different situations though. Rushing back to try and make the RWC is a totally different situation to rushing back to try and play a few games of Super Rugby.

That said, I expect Shipperley will play by part way through next season.

I agree it's different situations, I'm just pointing out there's absolutely no rush for Dom and hence the elongated recovery period than the 6 - 8 months people think it'd be. It's better for the medical team to say "12-18 months" and re-evaluate around the 8 month mark and see the progress (which will be around the start of the super rugby season). If he needs more time, fine, everyone was prepared for it and great if he doesn't.

Look at Lealiifano, similar injury and time frame and said 2013 didn't feel great in and around that injury. The Doctors aren't out there to push anyone back onto the field sooner than they should be (you think Pocock's surgeon isn't sweating bullets that his knee holds this time round?), there's a reason why they over-estimate recovery times.

Status
Not open for further replies.