• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Brad Thorn made his debut for the Bronco's in 1994, thats a professional rugby career of 20years including over 400.. yes 400 professional games, he made his debut for the Broncos the same year as George Gregan was debuting for the Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If he doesn't play again I think he'll be tied with Steve Menzies for 20 years. He played 520 pro matches.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Thorn is IMO one of the greatest FOOTBALLERS to lace on boots. His longevity in RL and Union is unbelievable. He has played at the highest level for both Australia and new Zealand in both codes.

BUT FFS the bloke is now past his prime - time to move on.

But unfortunately at his age, Mother Nature would ensure that Thorn would carry a bagful of injuries through the season.
He hasn't played too many games for the Highlanders this year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is Haydn a 2nd rower?

Yeah mate, he is - plays there for Saracens and USA. His dimensions are almost identical to Horwill and is very athletic for his size (6'7" 255-260lb).

He's got a funny story already, funnier if he's actually coming to Ballymore.

Learned his basketball in Sydney, played basketball in college in the United States, learns his rugby in the USA and then goes to play professionally in the UK after being scouted by Eddie Jones...former Australian head coach.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
But unfortunately at his age, Mother Nature would ensure that Thorn would carry a bagful of injuries through the season.
He hasn't played too many games for the Highlanders this year.

He tore his bicep. I have no idea if that's an age thing or just one of those freak injuries but I don't recall him ever being prone to injury. He would've stopped playing 5-10 years ago if he was.

T

Train Without a Station

Mostly because there does not seem to be any evidence of him having any qualifications in the field. Whilst I certainly don't doubt he'd be a great mentor as a player, I think a role like that may be a little beyond his experience and qualifications.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, the assumption that someone who trains very hard and is excellent at managing their own strength and conditioning can decide what is right for everyone else is a bit of a leap.

My guess is that the workload Thorn puts himself through would break most other players.

T

Train Without a Station

I believe he'd certainly have the right personality to be successful and valuable in the role, but even then he'd really need to spend a few seasons under a Senior S & C guy before being able to lead a program.

T

Train Without a Station

Really personality is a huge factor for success in that type of role. Somebody like Brad Thorn could really commence working whilst studying at the same time due to his experience in professional environment.

One of my friends was working for the Rebels in an S & C role this year for example and he would have been one of at least 4. There was the head/director Bryce Cavanagh, Zane who was an S & C Coach and then my friend and another I believe. As the program will generally be set by the head of S & C there is a lot of scope for learning on the job if you are starting from the bottom anyway.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think he has a degree in PE teaching, could easily be in a dual player/coach/mentor role at Reds while completing a masters in S and C via correspondence at Edith Cowan uni in Perth.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think he has a degree in PE teaching, could easily be in a dual player/coach/mentor role at Reds while completing a masters in S and C via correspondence at Edith Cowan uni in Perth.

Does he get any say in this? Does he have any interest in becoming an S&C?

It seems like his future career has been mapped out with no consultation from the man himself.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently has publicly expressed interest in it as a post-rugby option. Obviously is passionate about it, it just remains to be seen if that's what he finally settles on

T

tranquility

I was joking when I suggested it..

Parallel universes, let's not get too excited about nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.