• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds need c) because Jake Mac is 1-2 years away from being a 10 that is prepared to play very well in Super Rugby. Elsewhere he would be playing off the bench but at the Reds he is not. The Reds have 3 10's on the books, none of whom are ready to dominate Super Rugby. That needs to change so one of them is going to have to go

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Losing Green is disappointing for the Reds imo. But not unexpected based on being given no real game time all year. Clearly the powers that be (who ever that is these day at the Reds) didn't feel the need to give him a chance. That says more about the Reds management than Sam. Jake is not the answer now or in the future for the Reds.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah it was either Frisby or a front rower.

Frisby is not a 10, but did his best ( which was a bit below the pass mark)

The important bit is he did his best, but even more important is he now has a very good idea of how to service a 10 from scrumhalf.

If he uses this knowledge he will continue to be a great half and I think better than Genia was and potentially the best half for the Wallabies for a number of years.

This may be a massive over statement but he is showing a lot of potential and actually starting to live up to it, he is always around the ball when required, the only thing I want to see is another 2 metres on long passes and slightly quicker ball and we will have a true champion of his position.

He is now only 23 years old, imagine where he will be at in 2018 given he seems to be getting better and not stagnating.

If he gets to his peak in 2018 then this still leave a decent 8 years as a Wallaby (and hopefully a Red) as a 33 year old.

Apart from needing a tight head prop I think the best thing the Reds can do is get Frisby a 10 to form a combination with.

Cooper (if he comes) is 28 so should have a good 5 years in him but which time we should hopefully have a good backup ready to start.

A backline of 9 Frisby, 10 Cooper, 11 Nabuli, 12 Kerevi, 13 Timu, 14 Magnay, 15 Hunt offers some interesting options running off Coopers shoulder. It is also a line up that can be in play for a number of years.

With Cooper even at non 2011 form we will have a potentially great backline and if we can secure a decent 3 then our forward pack is also good

I think we should be contenders by 2018 or 2019 again.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Does anyone know the contractual status of UJ Seuteni? Used to be in the reds system and was one of our most talented prospects. Had injuries, went overseas and surely he wouldn't be getting much game time in Toulon.
He's spent two years of there and would've have learnt alot, now turns 23. To me he seems like a more prepared version of anything we have ATM.

Here is a video of him playing Prem grade at Easts in 2013/14 when he was 20ish to jog your memories.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Greene off to Japan is not a problem if any or all of the following are true:

(a) You're (or a new HC is) convinced that Jake Mc will very soon evolve into a 10 of more than adequate quality to, along with others, take the Reds to the S18 Finals and fast (we don't have multiple years of 'young player's development' and 'team growth' to play with or the QRU will be in Receivership, this 'plenty of time to develop' theory defies the hard economics of the QRU's survival needs) or

(b) We have multiple excellent other 10 candidates waiting elsewhere in the QRU wings that, again, will likely perform well in 2017 and will not need 2 or more years of baby steps to get S18 Finals-ready or

(c) You're confident we'll dump Jake Mc and soon recruit a top-class 10 who's very likely Finals-ready now for 2017.

None of the above denies the parallel truth that no matter how good a 10 is, he needs to be surrounded by competent other players and a balanced team and good backs coaching, etc., etc.

It's just that if you end up having the right competent other players and a balanced team, good coaching, etc., in our code a poor 10 will likely ensure they never rise much higher than the standard the team 10 is at. For example was not Foley a crucial ingredient in Cheika's transformation of the Tahs, and ditto QC (Quade Cooper) for the Link-coached Reds and ditto Cruden for Rennie's Chiefs?

Or (d) you have already in place a heads of agreement with a Rabbitohs player.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone know the contractual status of UJ Seuteni? Used to be in the reds system and was one of our most talented prospects. Had injuries, went overseas and surely he wouldn't be getting much game time in Toulon.
He's spent two years of there and would've have learnt alot, now turns 23. To me he seems like a more prepared version of anything we have ATM.

Here is a video of him playing Prem grade at Easts in 2013/14 when he was 20ish to jog your memories.

UJ was a talented kid from South Aust who, I believe, was "contracted" (wrongly IMO) by the ARU as a 15 year old. He was going to be fastracked.

Through school and beyond he never really reached his potential (as is often the case unfortunately). He was brought into the system by a talent identification person (also a dickhead INHO), and given opportunities he didn't deserve (based on his performance), simply to validate the talent identification persons' decision. Think the money spent on the lad was wasted or at least could have been spent wiser.

However all of that is in the past and I also would love to know how he has been playing recently.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Player recruitment and retainment is a bizarre dynamic, it seems that the larger the talent pool the harder it is to get it right. 2 franchises that should always be at the top of their conferences are the (Auckland) Blues and the Queensland Reds.

The Blues have the largest talent pool to pick from in NZ, the strongest junior competitions but have been sub-standard for years. They are bogged by politics and stick with 'system' players who were schoolboy standouts or personal preferences, at the expense of late-bloomers or out-the-box talent that doesn't fit the mold. Often these players get picked up elsewhere and succeed (Malachai Fekitoa). Most of the Highlanders squad is made up of 'rejects' from other regions but in the right set-up were able to win the competition.

The Reds have a whole state of talent to pick from, with strong juniors and probably stronger competitions than most NZ regions. At the very least, the Reds should never lose to non-rugby states such as the Force & Rebels who have nowhere near the homegrown talent.

The Reds continue to pillage league players and 'big' name signings for their squad. This is a recruitment strategy that the Force or Rebels should follow, not one that produces most of the top rugby talent in the country. The Reds administration is known to be political, and the same selection issues that hold back the Blues, also hold back the Reds.

The Reds love system players. Guys who go through the rep system and are deemed 'ready to go' once graduating from the 20s setup. A large proportion of the next gen Reds are getting blooded with barely any club rugby under the belt. Campbell Magnay is one example, who is a great prospect but has played probably 2-3 games of QPR over '14,'15,'16. When he's not in Qld or Aus 20's he doesn't play.

I get the impression Club rugby is seen as the scrapheap rather than a necessity. That's where Greene was sent after 20s, played 2 full seasons and actually became a better player, developed his game further; added a running game, and improved his defence against grown men. McIntyre was involved in Aus 20s alot and I don't believe has logged a full season of QPR. Anyone seen Chris Kuridrani this year??

Thankfully NRC is now here, but it is still a short competition. These guys are getting thrown in the deepend without decent exposure to week in, week out, rugby against grown men.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How has
Tupou
gone in Prems this year?
Kid got a trial start, against men and got hammered. This was to be expected.
Has he improved this year. Lad has all the attributes but just needs maturity and time.
Sef seems to be going well and gaining the experience he heeds. Paraka just doesn't really seem to be in the same league.
Daley is up for contract negotiations but has become so injury prone it is probably worth bringing on the young lads and letting Dales go.
Young frontrowers need to be putting their heads in scrums, live scrums.
Premier grade is the place to learn the basics of their trade.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tupou played all of last year in Premier Grade and was excellent.

Don't think he has played this year as he was in the Under 20s program. I believe it might be due back in the next few weeks?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Don't we need a CEO first or did I miss that? We're running Co-Interim- CEO's at the moment aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.