• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(This conversation is also been held in the QPR thread..

One issue is that there is a large portion of the population who play club rugby who won't play on a Sunday. )
sorry didn't realise it was discussed there, but;
Thought yesterday was at least a great chance to he a prem game of the week as curtainraiser. If the prems can't play on sunday, how are these teams going to handle finals time??

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The other thing is that Goromura's signing made a lot more sense if the plan was to play Hunt at 12. If that was never the plan, there was very little logic to it.

It seems it may have been commercially successful - and I guess the reality is that that is important - but in hindsight just seems a flawed squad selection from the start.

TSR - I agree re this being a flawed selection from the start. However, I must be alone in not grasping how this failed experiment has been in any way 'commercially successful'.

The player in question is/was here for one year. He barely speaks English, so he cannot be a darling of the local media. Yes, he's naturally attracted Japanese media and fans - maybe adding marginally to merchandise sales, discounted memberships and say 1,000 or so more new persons at home games, but that was always going to finish come late July, never to return again in a Reds context. And those marginal economic gains are before his reported very high salary is factored against them in a net P&L sense.

Further, I know many Reds fans that have just seen this recruitment as yet another reason to justify their biting cynicism re the conduct of RG as HC and the recent QRU in general: namely that the Reds/QRU would put the deemed 'marketing value' of an odd recruiting call over the far more pressing need to improve upon the team's lamentable 2014-15 team performances.

The 'marketing value' of the Reds as a whole sports asset - underpinning the QRU's financial viability - has sunk alarmingly where it matters most, namely in SEQ. Japan is a 9th order priority.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds Happy - I agree with all that. The commercial success, if any was actually achieved was short sighted and will be short lived. I'm certainly not celebrating it.

I guess I was merely acknowleging the fact that it did boost membership.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In partial defense of the QRU, much as they didn't expect last year's star recruit to be up on drugs charges, they probably expected this year's to be at least competent at full back.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Goro experiment was dismal on a player level. Commercially it was good.

Now the reds need to sign Chinese, Serbian,Croatian, English, Irish, Scottish, Canadian, Kiwi (fuck that), and Georgian players to engage with those ethic groups. Reckon we would have a fabulous membership on the one hand but the playing group's success may be a little inhibited.

T

Train Without a Station

The playing group's success hasn't been impacted.

Due to being Japanese Goro was an EXTRA squad member that was not signed at the expense of any local player.

Without Goro the Reds would have just gone into 2016 with 1 less player. Unless there was a better Japanese international that could have filled another hole in the Reds squad, his signing bought zero negatives.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't recall too many people so critical of his signing at the time it was announced. Given his RWC performance it seemed an astute signing. It has been just one disappointment in a season full of them.

And since this is the Reds 2017 thread, let's not discuss it anymore here as the experiment will be forgotten as soon as QC (Quade Cooper) confirms his return. Which will also give Scrubber another signing to rage against.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't recall too many people so critical of his signing at the time it was announced. Given his RWC performance it seemed an astute signing. It has been just one disappointment in a season full of them.

And since this is the Reds 2017 thread, let's not discuss it anymore here as the experiment will be forgotten as soon as QC (Quade Cooper) confirms his return. Which will also give Scrubber another signing to rage against.

Funny post actually.

I agreed with the Goro signing but it, upon reflection never did much for the Reds, except commercially. Are you saying different ?

It seems to me that you think the signing of Quade will fix the problems at the Reds. No doubt he is better than McIntyre, but he ain't the player he once was (way back in 2011).

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Have a closer look at the discussion at the time. Plenty of us were curious as to how Goro would work and how the Hunt story would govern it. It didnt require prescience.

The return of Quade will be another completely legitimate discussion topic. Me, I'm all for it, though dont expect the appointment to be a saviour.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks Reg.

Shame about Greene, I was really hoping they'd give him a go over McIntyre one week. He looked like he had a bunch of better skills.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Funny post actually.

I agreed with the Goro signing but it, upon reflection never did much for the Reds, except commercially. Are you saying different ?

It seems to me that you think the signing of Quade will fix the problems at the Reds. No doubt he is better than McIntyre, but he ain't the player he once was (way back in 2011).

1. No, I said it was disappointing.

2. I made no comment on what I think QC (Quade Cooper) will do for the Reds. However, this season has shown McIntyre is some way off being up to standard and 10 is one of the weakest positions in the side. Bringing in a 10 for next season looks necessary.

Who are the options? Really does not look like there are many available with proven experience that the Reds can get. QC (Quade Cooper) has the experience and wants to come back.

No one player is going to turn 2017 around. On the whole the squad does look like it will be better and there will be a new coach with a full pre-season under their belt. I do think QC (Quade Cooper) could be a very important part of a turn around next year. No way will he fix the issues on his own.

You have regularly questioned the Reds chasing him and the amount he will demand. You have not yet told us who you think will be better. Any 10 worth signing is going to want good money, and rightfully so. So who do you think is a better option?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. No, I said it was disappointing.

2. I made no comment on what I think QC (Quade Cooper) will do for the Reds. However, this season has shown McIntyre is some way off being up to standard and 10 is one of the weakest positions in the side. Bringing in a 10 for next season looks necessary.

Who are the options? Really does not look like there are many available with proven experience that the Reds can get. QC (Quade Cooper) has the experience and wants to come back.

No one player is going to turn 2017 around. On the whole the squad does look like it will be better and there will be a new coach with a full pre-season under their belt. I do think QC (Quade Cooper) could be a very important part of a turn around next year. No way will he fix the issues on his own.

You have regularly questioned the Reds chasing him and the amount he will demand. You have not yet told us who you think will be better. Any 10 worth signing is going to want good money, and rightfully so. So who do you think is a better option?

Quade under McKenzie was fine. Link could "control" him on the field to a large degree.

RG could not. It is my understanding QC (Quade Cooper) called the shots, on and off the field (along with Will Genia) A weak coach had no chance with that kind of "culture". AND we did have a weak coach.

QC (Quade Cooper) is NOT at the top of his game and frankly has not been for quite a while. Is he better than McIntyre - shit yes ! Based on current and recent (3 years) form he doesn't deserve a huge contract. As even you said he isn't going to be the savior of the Reds in 2017 (if re-signed).

Am fine with Quade coming back but in the first instance we need a
strong- willed HC

I haven't put my mind to an alternative but there has to be one floating around the world. One can say a lot without actually saying it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mike Harris is off-contract apparently.

Jono Lance is signed up until 2017 unfortunately. He'd be my #1 option.

Bryce Heagerty is available, but he wouldn't necessarily be someone I'd be chasing hard.

I'd be going after Kyle Godwin, but not for 10 but because we have a gap at 12.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mike Harris is off-contract apparently.

Jono Lance is signed up until 2017 unfortunately. He'd be my #1 option.

Bryce Heagerty is available, but he wouldn't necessarily be someone I'd be chasing hard.

I'd be going after Kyle Godwin, but not for 10 but because we have a gap at 12.

Thanks Reg

Aussie Mike would do me !

May not be the best 10 but neither is Quade NOW. He would be safe and conservative in play.

Mike was treated very badly at contract time and "had" to leave - think he had just purchased a house in Brisbane prior to his departure.

Can also play centres and fullback - so pretty versatile.

And 4918, I reckon his asking price would be considerably lower than that of QC (Quade Cooper). Surely that is relevant as well (even to you)

Status
Not open for further replies.