• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
His name has certainly started appearing in the forums over the last week or so.

I do wonder what an assistant coach of a Scottish Pro12 side offers above one of the current guys (who haven't shown enough to get it either). At least MOC has some head coach experience.

Considering there have been absolutely no decent attack structures in the Reds I wouldn't be rushing to sign MOC.

.....but then wait its all McIntyre's fault isn't it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Considering there have been absolutely no decent attack structures in the Reds I wouldn't be rushing to sign MOC.

...but then wait its all McIntyre's fault isn't it.
That's the issue though isn't it? If the backline/attack is the problem, how do you evaluate the suitability of a guy who's been a defensive assistant for his entire career?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

...but then wait its all McIntyre's fault isn't it.

You're delusional if you think either of them are currently worthy of being a Super rugby coach / starting player.

I'd say the same if you thought that the biggest Reds problem is the backrow right now.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Toulon can take Goro in 2017, I don't see any role at the Reds for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought his shoulder charge while the sunwolves scored a try was an indication of an "I dont give a shit" mindset.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought his shoulder charge while the sunwolves scored a try was an indication of an "I dont give a shit" mindset.

Just like his refusal to run the ball, refusal to chase his own kicks, and refusal to commit in defence. Been the same all year. Most over rated / over hyped play in a while.

Noticed that on the Roar and front page there was a lot of criticism for not giving the guy a decent shot this season. I just wonder if guys have actually watched him play at all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The other thing that has got me stumped is we have a Sat arvo game between Reds/ Sunwolves at same time as prem rugby is being played. I assume that sanzar decided the time of Reds game, but why the hell weren't prem games played tomorrow, or is it too much like using your thought processes to realise a lot of people that support Prem rugby are Reds supporters, and you want them at both games. Or is that too much like being sensible and be seen to support grass roots rugby!!!

T

TOCC

This conversation is also been held in the QPR thread..

One issue is that there is a large portion of the population who play club rugby who won't play on a Sunday.

T

Tip

This conversation is also been held in the QPR thread..

One issue is that there is a large portion of the population who play club rugby who won't play on a Sunday.

QRU should really have organised a "Friday Night Lights" round. Premier Grade, First Grade & Colts play Friday night, the rest play Saturday. All games would be finished by 2 pm...

I feel like this was really a wasted opportunity to boost Prem Rugby!

To tie it back to Reds2017, the QRU should really push for something like this next year if we get stuck with this broadcast slot.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I reckon you'll be waiting until next year's financial statement
10% of people at the Brisbane Airport when I got off a domestic flight were Japanese reds fans.... Fully kitted out.

I don't get why people are angry/surprised. Signing the face of the Japan RWC success Was never about back up goal kickers. I can't see much wrong with the play he has hardly taken the place on the pine of the next Latham. And gained interest in a team that had already resigned itself to mediocrity... By re-signing mediocrity.

N.b. 10% may be inflated... At least 8 ...in total

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The other thing that has got me stumped is we have a Sat arvo game between Reds/ Sunwolves at same time as prem rugby is being played. I assume that sanzar decided the time of Reds game, but why the hell weren't prem games played tomorrow, or is it too much like using your thought processes to realise a lot of people that support Prem rugby are Reds supporters, and you want them at both games. Or is that too much like being sensible and be seen to support grass roots rugby!!!

Because the ARU don't give a shit about Club level rugby and if they can rape it they will.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree, wondered why they bought him at the beginning, and still waiting for answer

Based on how he played for the Japanese side at the RWC we know that he has the ability. Maybe turning up at the Reds and seeing how Graham turned out the side just did him in and his level of effort matched the skill level of the coaching management. Something happened because he was very, very good in the RWC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep,I agree Gnostic, he did look like he wasn't bad at WC, I just never thought he was answer to Reds problems, but to be fair there may not of been too many inside backs around, which I thought they would of looked for.

As for the ARU putting game on on a sat arvo, was that who decided it?? Was bad, and not helped by QRU not moving Prem grades to sunday, playing them at same time to me seemed the height of stupidity. But anyway that is what was decided by people who know more than us.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Based on how he played for the Japanese side at the RWC we know that he has the ability. Maybe turning up at the Reds and seeing how Graham turned out the side just did him in and his level of effort matched the skill level of the coaching management. Something happened because he was very, very good in the RWC.

Don't forget the guy has come into an English speaking environment.without any basic understanding of the language. The Reds strategy is also not suited to a line-running fullback with size & strength. The Japanese play high tempo, ball in hand, quick recycle rugby, with strike plays off set piece for the backs, which gave Goromaru opportunities.

Hunt struggles to get 5-6 touches a game in phase play (not counting kick returns). Duncan came on after Goro got injured, had 25 minutes and touched the ball once. If I am a Fullback, I'm not going to the Reds. Your destined for limited attacking ball, kick return duties, kick chase and last line defence.

Add in the language barrier, it's no wonder he's out of sorts. It was never going to be successful. I don't know why he didn't stay for the Sunwolves, he would've started and had more opportunities in every game.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I honestly don't get why anyone is surprised over this latest debacle of a recruitment that so clearly should never have happened - another cruel offense perpetrated upon Reds fans.

Just one offence of a hundred.

It's why I deem the Graham era and all that it has entailed not just bad, very bad, but without hype a catastrophe for QLD rugby.

In virtually every element of Reds existence, since Graham's arrival there has been decay, regression, accelerating mediocrity, poor selections, idiotic recruitments, appalling player development, skills degradation, collapsing team morale, generally poorly selected assistant coaches, woeful attacking structures and zero coherent game plans, declining crowds, declining media coverage, declining QRU income, the tiny numbers of game wins have been singularly uninspiring, and so on.

Why would the bungling of a signing of a Japanese player who spoke no English, be an outlier against the overwhelming scorched earth of recent years?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I honestly don't get why anyone is surprised over this latest debacle of a recruitment that so clearly should never have happened - another cruel offense perpetrated upon Reds fans.

Just one offence of a hundred.

It's why I deem the Graham era and all that it has entailed not just bad, very bad, but without hype a catastrophe for QLD rugby.

In virtually every element of Reds existence, since Graham's arrival there has been decay, regression, accelerating mediocrity, poor selections, idiotic recruitments, appalling player development, skills degradation, collapsing team morale, generally poorly selected assistant coaches, woeful attacking structures and zero coherent game plans, declining crowds, declining media coverage, declining QRU income, the tiny numbers of game wins have been singularly uninspiring, and so on.

Why would the bungling of a signing of a Japanese player who spoke no English, be an outlier against the overwhelming scorched earth of recent years?

I have no doubt he is a great player in the right environment, but I got the feeling that he was always a marketing tool, and in that light he has been successful, but while he gained exposure for his team, his own capital has been burnt and degraded.

T

TOCC

I don't think he is a great player in any environment, the stars aligned for him at the RWC and he became the face of the Cherry Blossoms due to his kicking reliability and unique kicking style, I don't think he was in the top 5 performers for the Japanese team at the RWC though, he was however the most marketable.

I thought Goro would make a good bench player for the Reds, someone to bring on late in the game to help close it out with his accurate kicking... His kicking hasn't been as good as I had hoped and that was a big part of his value to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The other thing is that Goromura's signing made a lot more sense if the plan was to play Hunt at 12. If that was never the plan, there was very little logic to it.

It seems it may have been commercially successful - and I guess the reality is that that is important - but in hindsight just seems a flawed squad selection from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.