• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Agree but it seems to be catching on.

I believe Griffith Uni is making moves to enter the Brisbane Prem Comp over the next period of time - from their Gold Coast Campus.

Probably more suited to the QPR thread, but if Griffith Uni were to get involved it would make more sense to do it via the new Logan team..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Probably more suited to the QPR thread, but if Griffith Uni were to get involved it would make more sense to do it via the new Logan team..

They have a team in the local Gold Coast Comp - Colledges

My understanding is that they want to support THAT team. Suppose it's all about control of their own destiny with their money.

Don't know the structure of the Logan Club (and can it be taken over) but it very likely may not suit the Uni's demographics

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The new Reds coaching 'team', with the exception of Brad Thorn who already has it, is to obtain & maintain the respect of the senior player 'cohort' of the Reds squad.
At the same time, it is important for said 'cohort', to show the respect and not to demonstrate a 'I know better' attitude
In other words, both groups need to be able to work together as a (dare i say it, the overused word) TEAM.
It is not about the individual coach or player, as the media likes to make out.
Only then will the fruits of their efforts be realized.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The new Reds coaching 'team', with the exception of Brad Thorn who already has it, is to obtain & maintain the respect of the senior player 'cohort' of the Reds squad.
At the same time, it is important for said 'cohort', to show the respect and not to demonstrate a 'I know better' attitude
In other words, both groups need to be able to work together as a (dare i say it, the overused word) TEAM.
It is not about the individual coach or player, as the media likes to make out.
Only then will the fruits of their efforts be realized.

It seems Stiles has that support (of the senior blokes) and I 100% agree with the thrust of your post

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
i think that new attack coach will struggle to tell quade how the reds need to be structured to go well, even harder if genia comes back, even harder if blokes like higs and hunt are on quades side, though I can't see quade being an all round pain the in the ass because a) he seems to be generally less of a pain these days, but also i can't see moore, smith and thorn letting him push any boundaries too far. BUT if they respect the blokes (arnold and gilmore), it wont be about who's telling who, it'll be more about collaboration.

The chats between stiles, moore and simmons about set piece tactics

The chats between Stiles, Thorn and Smith about breakdown tactics.

Experienced campaigners like slipper, higs, houston and douglas able to effectively and confidently execute the agreed upon tactics.

The youngsters like ready, thor, tui and timu sponging up the knowledge and finding it very difficult NOT to be humble.

Hopefully arnold, gilmore, quade plus whoever..frisby, kerevi, hunt maranta etc..can even come close to that level of rugby nouse, they should be able to have a positive season.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Couldnt agree more. Do not actively involve the senior players in strategy and tectics would be daft. None of the three coaches have played against these players. The players are the best at knowing specific flaws etc in the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It's late and I'm bloody tired, but is that post a gee up Hawko? I can't tell?

Bit of a sweeping generalisation if it's not!

Tongue firmly planted in cheek, with a kernel of underlying truth. As a resident South Australian (all eastern staters are idiots who don't understand that SA is the greatest place on earth) I am now permitted to make sweeping generalisations like this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Tongue firmly planted in cheek, with a kernel of underlying truth. As a resident South Australian (all eastern staters are idiots who don't understand that SA is the greatest place on earth) I am now permitted to make sweeping generalisations like this.

I suspect wine was involved.

T

TOCC

Nah, alcohol slows my brain and its slow enough already. Enough fun, I'll return to the Tahs thread where I belong. Its too easy here.

Yeah dribbling is easy, you could challenge yourself and make constructive input instead if you want to hang around.

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

Any update on Kerevi's injury, no injury is a good injury but at least for the Reds this is probably the best time for it to occur..

Also what about Nabuli, he was injured in a head clash in the NRC and wasn't sighted again all season or in any of the recent Reds training sessions.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Any update on Kerevi's injury, no injury is a good injury but at least for the Reds this is probably the best time for it to occur..

Also what about Nabuli, he was injured in a head clash in the NRC and wasn't sighted again all season or in any of the recent Reds training sessions.

Ditto Hunt.
Ditto Korzcyk - we have had some feedback but wonder how it's travelling?

Nigel

Frank Row (1)
i think that new attack coach will struggle to tell quade how the reds need to be structured to go well, even harder if genia comes back, even harder if blokes like higs and hunt are on quades side, though I can't see quade being an all round pain the in the ass because a) he seems to be generally less of a pain these days, but also i can't see moore, smith and thorn letting him push any boundaries too far. BUT if they respect the blokes (arnold and gilmore), it wont be about who's telling who, it'll be more about collaboration.

The chats between stiles, moore and simmons about set piece tactics

The chats between Stiles, Thorn and Smith about breakdown tactics.

Experienced campaigners like slipper, higs, houston and douglas able to effectively and confidently execute the agreed upon tactics.

The youngsters like ready, thor, tui and timu sponging up the knowledge and finding it very difficult NOT to be humble.

Hopefully arnold, gilmore, quade plus whoever..frisby, kerevi, hunt maranta etc..can even come close to that level of rugby nouse, they should be able to have a positive season.

Your point about collaboration is correct. There are some very experienced and wise heads amongst the playing group now with higs, douglas, simmons, hunt, moore, smith. Many of these players do not have a lot of years left in them and after the reds have experienced the lows of the past few seasons the old heads in the playing group will have not patience for egos disrupting the group. There will still be egos... Quade has learnt from this. If he has not, he will be chewed up and spat out from his fellow players, not the coaching staff. The reds have been selective in recent choices not just to win games but to rebuild a strong culture. They have done well with these choices and will be very strong in 2017.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Nabuli wasn't? I thought I saw some footage of him somewhere. Will have a look.

Korzcyk has definitely been training.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
i think that new attack coach will struggle to tell quade how the reds need to be structured to go well.

I don't think the attack coach needs to tell Quade etc how to play nor do I think they will. Hopefully we'll revert back to what Link did, give Quade, the backs and the team the general structure on what will beat the opposition on the weekend and play it as you see.

Deans used to preach about how he wanted the guys to play what's in front of them, but either he didn't know how to teach players who've never played that game plan before or there's a huge difference in the English language between Australians and Kiwis. However, we saw Link was able to effectively teach the youngsters this and it worked which is why I think with Quade back they'll revert back to generalities rather than a specific plan of; 3 hit ups right side then quick ball to the left!

Status
Not open for further replies.