• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have no idea what you need in a 10s team, but perhaps something like this (acknowledging we are meant to pick our 5 (?) best/biggest paid players)

10 Eto Nabuli
9 Izaia Perese
8 Samu Kerevi
7 Quade Cooper
6 Nick Frisby
5 Adam Korczyk
4 Cadeyrn Neville
3 Taniela Tupou
2 Andrew Ready
1 Sef Fa'agase

11 Alex Mafi
12 Pettowa Paraka
13 James Slipper
14 Lukhan Tui
15 Caleb Timu
16 Moses Sorovi
17 Duncan Paia'aua
18 Lachlan Maranta

will players in japan be available? higs and tui would be useful. I like your squad but I would drop paraka and just got with slipper as cover for both sides (him and faagase can cover both) and bring hunt on the bench aswell. Would have thought simmons would be a bit more useful then neville also.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
And at wing for kick returns. Hilarity ensued.. except for the first defender.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yeah the Sarries used Brits for this when he was more athletic.

Usually you'd use a loose forward, but if a tight forward would do better then why not.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
will players in japan be available? higs and tui would be useful. I like your squad but I would drop paraka and just got with slipper as cover for both sides (him and faagase can cover both) and bring hunt on the bench aswell. Would have thought simmons would be a bit more useful then neville also.

Can't see the Japanese players being available.

I assume 10s still values speed, skill and fitness as well as set piece. I reckon Neville offers more than Simmo there.

As BH suggests squad sizes may be unlimited but I would've thought you'd need two front rows on the bench to cover all positions.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Perese/Kerevi/Cooper/Frisby/Tupou would be a fucking nightmare to contain in a 10's match. Looking forward to it! Hopefully I can dig up a stream somewhere.

Frisby's playstyle and pace should make him a real asset in a 10's match.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
My thoughts are that the presence of our extremely mobile and athletic front rowers on the park would actually put somewhere among the 3 or so favourites to win the thing.

Frisby, DP and Quade sending balls to Tupou, Neville, Fa'Agase, Paraka will be something to watch as they are all very mobile, skilful players in their position. The only thing that might let us down is a lack of genuine pace outside of perese

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
perese isnt actually a top speed players, bit like JOC (James O'Connor), wasn't anywhere near the top speed of players going around, just crazy feet and acceleration.

magnay is recorded as one of the fastest players and would do nicely in 10s. Im surprised 7s hasnt approached him with his size, speed and experience as a centre. Nabuli will be useful off the bench. Maranta will be important also!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
perese isnt actually a top speed players, bit like JOC (James O'Connor), wasn't anywhere near the top speed of players going around, just crazy feet and acceleration.

Your memory may be a bit cloudy because JOC (James O'Connor) is very fast. There was never much between him and the gas guys, there still isn't.

(Embedding on here doesn't work with time stamps but check out 1:17 and 2:20)

Should have been one of the all-time greats and the most capped player of his generation :(

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^
Some of those tries are pretty special. I haven't seen any of the Euro matches he's been involved in, but if those highlights are anything to go by then good on him for recovering so well from his knee/leg injuries.

He could have been stellar! Perhaps he still could be.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Your memory may be a bit cloudy because JOC (James O'Connor) is very fast. There was never much between him and the gas guys, there still isn't.

(Embedding on here doesn't work with time stamps but check out 1:17 and 2:20)

Should have been one of the all-time greats and the most capped player of his generation :(

obviously u cant remember toua chasing down JOC (James O'Connor) at suncorp with ease. Toua was a track star, JOC (James O'Connor) wasnt. Jocs top speed wouldnt touch naivalu, koroibete, davies, turner, morohan, but would be better then most.

Yes JOC (James O'Connor) should have been a great, but I'm just talking about pure speed eg, top speed and 100m.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Pereses ability is in his balance, he is one of the most naturally balanced players I've seen in a long time, it might seem minor but that's what gives him that strength in contact and change of direction.

One thing he offers that players twice the size often lack, is straight line running. Sounds simple enough but not alot of backs are effective at it. He runs onto the ball hard at pace holding his line with good timing which is a big reason he breaks the line so much at NRC.

At the last Reds game vs the Rebels sat behind the goalposts, was stunned how lateral the backline running is. Everyone drifting sideways and waiting to get the ball except for the obvious decoy. By the time it got out to the wings they were out of room. Conventional wisdom would say Perese is too small to play 13 at Super but damn he's good, and has proved NRC is no issue.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
magnay is recorded as one of the fastest players and would do nicely in 10s. Im surprised 7s hasnt approached him with his size, speed and experience as a centre.!

The reds offered him 3 years full squad deal as an 18 year old a few years ago when league, 7's and force/rebels were interested. Unsurprisingly he took the best deal.

He has had a shoulder recon a while ago but still may not be fit in time for 10's

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Magnay is recorded as one of the fastest players and would do nicely in 10s. Im surprised 7s hasnt approached him with his size, speed and experience as a centre.

I think it's pretty apparent it's more desirable to have a Super contract than a 7s contract unless it's one year out from the Olympics. Even then, you have blokes like Wells opting to go Super.

I'm sure there's a lot of blokes the 7s would like.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it's pretty apparent it's more desirable to have a Super contract than a 7s contract unless it's one year out from the Olympics. Even then, you have blokes like Wells opting to go Super.

I'm sure there's a lot of blokes the 7s would like.

was definitely thinking in the lead up to the olympics when they were looking for other players to join training camps etc, of course you'd pick the long term super deal if that was the better option.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
obviously u cant remember toua chasing down JOC (James O'Connor) at suncorp with ease. Toua was a track star, JOC (James O'Connor) wasnt. Jocs top speed wouldnt touch naivalu, koroibete, davies, turner, morohan, but would be better then most.

Yes JOC (James O'Connor) should have been a great, but I'm just talking about pure speed eg, top speed and 100m.

The 100m doesn't really have a place in measuring a rugby player's abilities. Speed at any distance over 40m is just going to be irrelevant in the vast majority of match situations a play is going to find themselves in.

JOC (James O'Connor) is the same kid who beat Billy Slater in a 40m dash without any issues - I'd be very surprised if any of the guys on the above list aside from Davies/Toua were more than a third/half a step ahead of him at that distance. Aside from that, you could throw all those guys together into one player and JOC (James O'Connor) would still be many times the better footballer.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The 100m doesn't really have a place in measuring a rugby player's abilities. Speed at any distance over 40m is just going to be irrelevant in the vast majority of match situations a play is going to find themselves in.

JOC (James O'Connor) is the same kid who beat Billy Slater in a 40m dash without any issues - I'd be very surprised if any of the guys on the above list aside from Davies/Toua were more than a third/half a step ahead of him at that distance. Aside from that, you could throw all those guys together into one player and JOC (James O'Connor) would still be many times the better footballer.

yeh that's great. Not talking about whether speed is important or whether JOC (James O'Connor) is a good player. Merely responded to the comment "The only thing that might let us down is a lack of genuine pace outside of perese", by pointing out perese isn't known for his speed, nor does he have the greatest genuine pace in the squad. His strengths lie elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.