• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Isaac Lucas may be a bit harder to sign. I've heard the Lucas family are very anti-Reds after Graham et al told Ben his services weren't required.

Perhaps the new admin might be a help.

FB post has Nic Stiles giving Isaac his trophy for Australians Schoolboy Player of the Year for 2016, mending bridges and getting in his ear for the future perhaps.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hmm it's a funny one, understandably there would be a bit of malaise, but that's professional sport.. when Ben Lucas was signed other players missed out, some felt it was due to the Lucas family having greater rugby pedigree, one of those Luke McClean went to Europe and represent Italy dozens of times.. was it the right call? Possibly. but that's the nature of the game, there's limited contract spots and everyone wants an opportunity

Luke McLean is a good player who would've been a handy Super Rugby squad member. Still playing pretty well - but he really shined as a wing/fullback and not the 10 he was originally slated as.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
FB post has Nic Stiles giving Isaac his trophy for Australians Schoolboy Player of the Year for 2016, mending bridges and getting in his ear for the future perhaps.

Or possibly one prominent Terrace rugby player to another?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
would love to see a

higs houston holloway timani hoops mcmahon backrow unit for the wallabies squad next year, but i think both of our Reds boys will miss out to fardy and mccalman :(

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Higs offers what the Wallabies need if he super rugby form is good. He's a good carrier who offers a lot in the lineout. He's excellent at 2.

Houston doesn't, but Super Rugby will tell the tale. He'll need to be in excellent form to crack the squad (let alone team). A non-jumping, good carrier, with a bellow average work rate - we just aren't screaming for that guy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But surely Houston has already overtaken McCalman in Wallabies' contention. Has been in the squad and played for the Wallabies more recently than Ben McC.

I'd say the next big thing in the back row from WA will be Ross Haylett-Petty. Still very young but a big lump of a lad with very good mobility. Seems to have a big motor and definitely has an impact.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Higs offers what the Wallabies need if he super rugby form is good. He's a good carrier who offers a lot in the lineout.

I agree about higs, but it would be hard for him to crack the wallabies with sublime form Mumm is in. Mumm even benches Fardy due to form.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
mumm is really there for his lineout expertise, but higs was a lineout hero when he was here, so has the lineout box well and truly tickedalong with offering more around the park then mumm. His wider keiran read style play is more acceptable in backrow now that arnold, coleman and timani are more then capable of dominating their space in tight (something that simmons, carter, mccalman struggled to do)

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Isaac Lucas may be a bit harder to sign. I've heard the Lucas family are very anti-Reds after Graham et al told Ben his services weren't required.

Haha if that's true that is karma for ya. The best flyhalf prospect coming through QLD schools over the last 3 years (I've seen) and it seems they've burnt that bridge. Morons. The RG effect continues.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
mumm is really there for his lineout expertise, but higs was a lineout hero when he was here, so has the lineout box well and truly tickedalong with offering more around the park then mumm. His wider keiran read style play is more acceptable in backrow now that arnold, coleman and timani are more then capable of dominating their space in tight (something that simmons, carter, mccalman struggled to do)

Not really, Higgs jumps at 2 generally and Mumm calls and thus jumps further back. Both jumpers but different skill sets.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haha if that's true that is karma for ya. The best flyhalf prospect coming through QLD schools over the last 3 years (I've seen) and it seems they've burnt that bridge. Morons. The RG effect continues.
Big call to sign up straight from school when you have a string of young hopefuls already in the mix, DP, McIntyre, Mason, Tim Horan, Liam McNamara, Hamish Stewart and Liam Moseley (been injured the last year) with Moseley, Stewart and Horan eligible for u20's 2017 I don't think young Lucas will even get a look for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Sharpe used to call Higgers one of the worlds best jumpers when they played together. With his athleticism and natural footballing skills Higgers has the highest ceiling of any 8 prospect available to the wallabies from 2017 there is no doubt. Whether his mind (and 30 yr old body) will allow him to show the relentless physicality that Cheika demands from Test backrowers (and rightly so) will determine how his remaining career plays out.

Houston is no better than Timani is at the lineout and probably won't get much better whereas Lopeti will

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Big call to sign up straight from school when you have a string of young hopefuls already in the mix, DP, McIntyre, Mason, Tim Horan, Liam McNamara, Hamish Stewart and Liam Moseley (been injured the last year) with Moseley, Stewart and Horan eligible for u20's 2017 I don't think young Lucas will even get a look for a while.

Yes no point signing straight from school. I did say prospect though. DP is primarily a 12, McIntyre will need a cushion in 2017, Mason will be playing club rugby (in Sydney since he's signed with the Tahs), Tim Horan will remain on the Fox sports panel with occasional appearances in Reds TV comm box (hopefully). Havent seen McNamara play 10 since Colts and the last 3 will all hopefully break into Prems.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes no point signing straight from school. I did say prospect though. DP is primarily a 12, McIntyre will need a cushion in 2017, Mason will be playing club rugby (in Sydney since he's signed with the Tahs), Tim Horan will remain on the Fox sports panel with occasional appearances in Reds TV comm box (hopefully). Havent seen McNamara play 10 since Colts and the last 3 will all hopefully break into Prems.
I did mean Alex Horan and just saying that Isaac Lucas may not even make an appearance in u20's in 2017. McNamara played 10 in the Colts finals in 2016 (not too long ago).

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
means higgers is better for the wallabies lineout then mumm as he is the best jumper around at 2 and coleman already is caller and further back so why need mumm aswell.

Especially if simmons is on the bench.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I did mean Alex Horan and just saying that Isaac Lucas may not even make an appearance in u20's in 2017. McNamara played 10 in the Colts finals in 2016 (not too long ago).

Will be interesting to see if McNamara sticks with 7s which he has gone to for the upcoming trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom