• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
IMO Reds best 23 for Round 1 2017

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sam Talakai
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Hendrik Tui
7. George Smith
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia'aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Lachlan Maranta
15. Karmichael Hunt
RESERVES
16. Andrew Ready
17. Set Fa'agase
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Caderyn Neville
20. Leroy Houston
21. James Tuttle
22. Izaiah Perese
23. Campbell Magnay/Jake McIntyre

Would have Chris F'Sautia in there for sure but isn't available til at least April/May
Thoughts?
Personally I think that's enough to make reds fans excited for the season

maybbeee Maranta @ 23, with Perese @ 14 and Magnay/Mcintyre @ 22

But I think you're right. Maranta has experience, training well and should be a kicking option. Most likely Mcintyre @ 22 and Perese/Magnay @ 23.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reg
Yeah maybe a reversal of what I originally said.

That is, go for the 10's and put a "B" team (overall) against the Rebs

Be a good discussion point in the near future.

The 10s should be treated with the utmost seriousness. It's a gateway to introducing and reengaging fans with the team and more importantly the sport. Winning casual fans is what will turn the tide for the code in the country. Plus a winning team will lead to better ticket sales for the start of the season. The only players not considered should be the ones that have serious niggles or injured.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not in the shitting on Lachlan Maranta club, but is he really more promising than Izaiah Perese?

He may start due to having a decent pay cheque (maybe), but I'd be disappointed. I also think Magnay is a great prospect, discipline notwithstanding.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well with the 2 day ticketing debacle I seriously doubt whether "they" will be engaging NEW fans in this format.

Sure it would be great to win but it is also just a hybrid game of real rugby.

The first real game for purists is the following Tuesday is the trial against the Rebels. That one I will attend and hopefully our full (as can be) Super team will win and give me the optimism I have lacked at the start of the last few seasons.

New Coach, some great "new" players - just need the results to follow.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
maybbeee Maranta @ 23, with Perese @ 14 and Magnay/Mcintyre @ 22

But I think you're right. Maranta has experience, training well and should be a kicking option. Most likely Mcintyre @ 22 and Perese/Magnay @ 23.

Personally I we need to see some form via the trials before we can declare the best 15/23. I think you're close though. McIntyre (not my favourite) will be on the bench. Like to see Tui/Houston/Smith too before we lock in on the best loosies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Personally I we need to see some form via the trials before we can declare the best 15/23. I think you're close though. McIntyre (not my favourite) will be on the bench. Like to see Tui/Houston/Smith too before we lock in on the best loosies.

I'd actually be surprised.

Let's presume Mcintyre is a 10 by preference and a 15 in a pinch. You're not going to sub Quade off by preference, and Karmichael/Paia'aua both cover 10/12/15 in a pinch.

I think you'd more likely see a 6-2 split or a crash and bash back that covers center/wing (like Magnay of CFS) on the bench.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

<snip>

Thoughts?

I'm more than a little 'excited' at that lineup. Drop Jake out as Quade will play 80 and Paia-aua is more than adequate 10 cover. There's a few other permutations that would get me similarly aroused (there, I said it, aroused. I am aroused) but that really just demonstrates that we have some great options more than me being unhappy with us fielding a few dud players.

From what I've heard Maranta is a bloody hard worker who has an exceptional training ethic. Not saying Perese doesn't at all, just that sort of stuff counts for a lot in the preseason, as does that fact that Maranta probably has relative seniority on his side. Perese will get plenty of minutes; we don't need to rush him into the first XV in round 1.

That being said, if Stiles selects him then all good! Lets see what the kid can do at Super level. :D

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely correct Dru.

Reputations are one thing. The fact that blokes are running around in the heat in probably the fastest completion in the world will sort some out, particularly when you add into the equation, "old legs".

Looking forward to the dynamics in the forwards.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sam Talakai
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Hendrik Tui
7. George Smith
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia'aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Lachlan Maranta
15. Karmichael Hunt
RESERVES
16. Andrew Ready
17. Set Fa'agase
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Caderyn Neville
20. Leroy Houston
21. James Tuttle
22. Izaiah Perese
23. Campbell Magnay/Jake McIntyre

Would have Chris F'Sautia in there for sure but isn't available til at least April/May
Thoughts?
I actually thought it was good to see you not pick him at all, he has talent but the Reds must move on as he has not produced.

I would have Perese in for Maranta. This is for no real reason other than I have seen Perese play and have never seen Maranta and would like to see him off the bench to show what he has got.

T

TOCC

CFS is returning from injury, can't see him been selected for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Just injury cover though. Seems perhaps he couldn't get a contract overseas? Or more likely didn't want to, so finished his contract at the reds (pretty sure they can go right through till dec 31.) and see what else is around.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wish him well and I'm glad he has picked up a contract. I also felt he coped a bit of unfair flack. But at the same time, he had a pretty fair run at the number 8 role and I don't think you could really say he made it his own.

My question (as with a lot of players from the last 3 years) was how much of that was him and how much was a product of the environment.

Happy to see him get a chance to prove it to was more the later rather than the former.

Reactions: gel

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
the lack of a big ballrunning backrower to compliment gills breakdown work and Schatzs set piece and workrate hurt. If Higs or Houston had been @ 6 or 8, Schatz would have been considered more highly IMO, great aerial work, good bacll control and the back of scrum, massive workrate, great defensive stats, strong leadership and rugby nouse. Just not much impact in the tight stuff

Reactions: TSR

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
totally unrelated, but now the Sunwolves have signed the unit Tongan born U20 winger.

With a couple new big boy backrowers, Will Tupou, samoan born but now japanee Inside Centre/ 5/8 plus this kid....Sunwolves building some serious fire power with some of these newly debuted Japanese internationals.

Now the entire top 14 format is adjusting so they get 5 weeks to prepare. Could mean a few more stars making themselves available for sunwolves and then blossums duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.