• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Would be pretty confident that it is a "Funnelling system"

School coaches, Liaison Officers. Club Coaches, influential persons all "identify" potential players for those who actually make the decision.

HC has plenty to do but I would think it would be a combination of Cordingly and Stiles/Assistants who actually make the final decision.

Reg may be in the loop on this issue ?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Be some combination of these guys wouldn't it?

Paul Carozza - Elite Development Coordinator
Sam Cordingley – Head of List Management & Pathways, St.George Queensland Reds
Jason Gilmore - Elite Development Head Coach

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Been rewatching Reds/Rebels in chunks over the last few nights and to be totally fair the refereeing was, objectively, questionable.

The Higginbotham "obstructing a runner" was a FARCE. There's even a wide camera angle following the kick that shows him 3-4m from the nearest Rebels player before he gets in behind our own ruck.

I know it's not right to bitch about the officials but geeze the standard is poor for some of these guys.. it feels like I'm watching the part-time clowns from the NFL sometimes.

Reactions: gel

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
^^^^^^^^^^^​

We all know that referees only have their mother as a friend, but surely something should be done to make these highly paid "professionals" more proficient.
For instance, having regular seminars with recently retired 'guru' referees giving lectures on the finer points of managing infringements, and using plenty of video of good decisions, along with bad decisions like USARugger was referring to above.
I mean, these guys with the simple blow of a whistle can change the result of a game. Not a good look for rugby, if the ref. & OTM erred, which is happening far too often.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It's hard to attract potential talent in anything when the pay isn't great. Even test referees are far, far from loaded.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
LBox

They should all have good games. Those that don't should be given the DCM note.

I absolutely hate it when a Referees shitty calls determine the outcome of a game.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Be some combination of these guys wouldn't it?

Paul Carozza - Elite Development Coordinator
Sam Cordingley – Head of List Management & Pathways, St.George Queensland Reds
Jason Gilmore - Elite Development Head Coach

Gilmore definitely attends a premier match when the Reds aren't travelling - i constantly see him around the grounds.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^^^^^^^^​

We all know that referees only have their mother as a friend, but surely something should be done to make these highly paid "professionals" more proficient.
For instance, having regular seminars with recently retired 'guru' referees giving lectures on the finer points of managing infringements, and using plenty of video of good decisions, along with bad decisions like USARugger was referring to above.
I mean, these guys with the simple blow of a whistle can change the result of a game. Not a good look for rugby, if the ref. & OTM erred, which is happening far too often.

In the Shute Shield, I have seen retired referees set up on the sideline and watch all grades. They speak to the ref at 1/2 time, full time, and AFAIK submit a written report too.
How extensive the practice is I don't know but at least something is being done.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kerevi isn't a captain.

If you want your players to play like rubbish, make them.watch really bad performances on video (duh).

When you have a really bad defensive structure - don't kickback ball to the opposition.

And most importantly of all. Never ever talk about anything other than the next game. Ever.

I think Stiles os a born leader, but he's only ever learnt to lose.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's it, I'm done with the Reds.

The whole team is a joke. On paper they should have put 30 points on a weakened Force team on a short turn around from a 50 point hiding.

The whole coaching staff needs to go. Stiles, for all his pragmatism, can't put together a sensible game plan. I am sick of the Reds kicking away possession in the opposition half, even when chasing the game.

Poor timing of subs, Stiles has zero, read zero, feel for a game.

And the defence coach, Gilmore. Useless, should have gone mid season.

In the horror years of mid 2000s at least our team was poor. This year we had the best team in our conference on paper, and will end up second last.

The biggest factor this year for me has been the rubbish game plans. Refusal to play rugby in the second half. Pointless kicking, rubbish chases, continual ill discipline, poor tackling technique, flawed compressed defensive structure that just sits back and drifts all day, happy to watch teams run around them week after week.

Stiles and his entire coaching staff should be sacked. Then maybe, just maybe, people like me will start giving a shit about the Reds again.

From a supporter that dates back well into the 90s, a previous season ticker holder who has flown up in years previously from Sydney for every Reds home game.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That's it, I'm done with the Reds.

The whole team is a joke. On paper they should have put 30 points on a weakened Force team on a short turn around from a 50 point hiding.

The whole coaching staff needs to go. Stiles, for all his pragmatism, can't put together a sensible game plan. I am sick of the Reds kicking away possession in the opposition half, even when chasing the game.

Poor timing of subs, Stiles has zero, read zero, feel for a game.

And the defence coach, Gilmore. Useless, should have gone mid season.

In the horror years of mid 2000s at least our team was poor. This year we had the best team in our conference on paper, and will end up second last.

The biggest factor this year for me has been the rubbish game plans. Refusal to play rugby in the second half. Pointless kicking, rubbish chases, continual ill discipline, poor tackling technique, flawed compressed defensive structure that just sits back and drifts all day, happy to watch teams run around them week after week.

Stiles and his entire coaching staff should be sacked. Then maybe, just maybe, people like me will start giving a shit about the Reds again.

From a supporter that dates back well into the 90s, a previous season ticker holder who has flown up in years previously from Sydney for every Reds home game.

Geez,

This is how i felt when they bought back Richard Graham last year when he was a year or 2 past his expiration date. i boycotted the Reds then and I started coming back to the games this year to show my support of them firing Graham. But the team is underperforming like you said awesome on paper but destined for 2nd last in the conference.

I agree with the wholesale coaching staff except Brad Thorn. Lets promote him to HC! Doubt the Reds would want to open the chequebook for a marquee HC so I think Thorn is the best internal hire.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fuck off everyone associaed with the 2017 season asap. Scoreboard tells the story

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I absolutely hate it when a Referees shitty calls determine the outcome of a game.
There is no way that pathetic performance from the Reds can be blamed on anyone but the players and their coaching staff. It is absolutely ludicrous to blame the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.