• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The tweet I read from the QLD Reds account said he was, ".....appointed to the QRU Board as Player Appointed Director."

So it certainly sounds like the players appointed him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CEO will need to be appointed before HC, the two positions are so closely aligned that any new HC needs CEO approval IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought that the Board will appoint a new Head Coach as well as a CEO.

Don't necessarily agree that the former appointment is dependent upon the latters'

It should be a Board decision (although it would be nice to have agreement from a CEO)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The tweet I read from the QLD Reds account said he was, "...appointed to the QRU Board as Player Appointed Director."

So it certainly sounds like the players appointed him.

Scoey - hate to be pedantic but it doesn't necessarily mean that at all.

Maybe Reg can enlighten us on the subject.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, players appoint him.

It's part of the RUPA stipulations picked up via the CBA.

It is an interesting step. The first non-playing player I can remember. Makes sense though, as long as the players are happy.

I don't think Sharpe is too connected to anyone on the board to be a lacky.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
yeah, players appoint him.

It's part of the RUPA stipulations picked up via the CBA.

It is an interesting step. The first non-playing player I can remember. Makes sense though, as long as the players are happy.

I don't think Sharpe is too connected to anyone on the board to be a lacky.

Agree that it is interesting, particularly Sharpie trying to get feedback from players when he is not apart of the group working each day with them.

Suppose he will have to canvass players individually from time to time or get input from the senior guys on a regular basis.

aaaaah, the modern way, I suppose.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree that it is interesting, particularly Sharpie trying to get feedback from players when he is not apart of the group working each day with them.

Suppose he will have to canvass players individually from time to time or get input from the senior guys on a regular basis.

aaaaah, the modern way, I suppose.

Fair bit of work that's only nominally paid if he's going to do it properly....

T

TOCC

I would have thought that the Board will appoint a new Head Coach as well as a CEO.

Don't necessarily agree that the former appointment is dependent upon the latters'

It should be a Board decision (although it would be nice to have agreement from a CEO)

CEO and the board need to be on the same page, and the current board have said as much, that their first priority is appointing a new CEO and then appointing the head coach after that..

That doesn't mean the recruitment process can't or hasn't already started.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds posters on GAGR not content with exceeding the page number allotted to their Franchise on the Forum had a covert CIA-like conspiracy to keep Richard Graham last year to ensure they won the page number and views competition last year. The Brumbies not to be outdone in 2016 had their own backroom intrigue to boost their views and looked to be taking the trick but LO! the Reds jumped in and started an early foray into 2017. Surely a false start...... who's the coach?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Back to the footy, missing pieces to the puzzle;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Tui
9. Frisby
11. CFS
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
22. McIntyre

IMO that's the core of what we are working off atm for next season. A new experienced 10 as well as a 7 & 12 would be absolutely perfect for the Reds. However finding the right players will be tough.

Do we use the international slot for an All-Black in one of those positions? Any players come to mind?

T

TOCC

The Australian is reporting that Kerevi has turned down a massive offer from the Rebels to remain with the Reds.

Also, that the Reds and Waratahs have out the feelers out towards disgruntled Rabbitohs playmaker Luke Kleary

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Back to the footy, missing pieces to the puzzle;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Tui
9. Frisby
11. CFS
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
22. McIntyre

IMO that's the core of what we are working off atm for next season. A new experienced 10 as well as a 7 & 12 would be absolutely perfect for the Reds. However finding the right players will be tough.

Do we use the international slot for an All-Black in one of those positions? Any players come to mind?

8. Houston? Higgers?
10. Cooper?
11. CFS

18. Neville
19. Browning

Pretty good core there if the Reds can get the 8 & 10 that are rumoured.

If going for an international player, targeting a 12 would be my preference. A lot of players that have been green this year and last should be a lot better next season but 12 will be the spot where there is still not many options. Gill will be a massive loss but the quality of that forward pack is very good and still ahead of the backs so I wouldn't be looking for an international 7.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds need a 10, 2 flankers, a 12 or 15 (depending on what they want to do with Hunt). They should be looking for a flyer out wide too (?fullback or wing)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I did like your post Dru - but on reflection, even though I think Matwijou has been good for us if we have Douglas, Simmons, Neville, Rodda & Tui all on the books then we should probably prioritise other positions. Hope he gets picked up though - he has been pretty solid.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah Benny Matts has been solid for us but he wouldn't be high in my priorities. I think we are well covered for locks next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think we may be hearing some news out of Ballymore tomorrow about the organisation's future direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.