• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yup. I believe tomorrow will be Carmichael's last day. Which means they have his replacement ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Could be a problem. Unless we can have a squad of about 60 and the ability to play about 3 people in each position (and some in multiple positions) we'll never finish selection meetings in time for games.

Although some selections would be easy. McKenzie would be back as coach and Gill & Holmes wouldn't be allowed to leave. Ever.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Could be a problem. Unless we can have a squad of about 60 and the ability to play about 3 people in each position (and some in multiple positions) we'll never finish selection meetings in time for games.

Although some selections would be easy. McKenzie would be back as coach and Gill & Holmes wouldn't be allowed to leave. Ever.

It would be easier to have a list of every player and just kickout those that are critisised, of the millions of players in the world we should have about 23 left to play

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I did like your post Dru - but on reflection, even though I think Matwijou has been good for us if we have Douglas, Simmons, Neville, Rodda & Tui all on the books then we should probably prioritise other positions. Hope he gets picked up though - he has been pretty solid.

Yeah I know. Somewhere there's got to be tough decissions.

Aren't we doing OK without Douglas? Maybe there's an option to reward Matwijou and save some funding for priority positions? Need to be sure that Simmo is rock solid first.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We've already contracted Douglas, Simmons, Neville, Rhodda and Tui. Signing Matwijow would actually cost us money. Money, as you suggest, is probably best of spent in another position.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from the QRU Release

Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) CEO Jim Carmichael will depart as CEO of QRU today after a successful seven-year tenure as the codes leading executive.

In March this year, Carmichael signalled his intention to step down. After ongoing discussion with Chairman, Damien Frawley, they have agreed that now is the appropriate time for Carmichael to exit the business. QRU Chairman Damien Frawley said that Carmichael has been "a committed and dedicated executive". With the new QRU Board having settled in, the search for a new CEO is in its late stages, as well as commencement of the implementation of the QRUs next five-year strategy, which compliments the ARUs five-year blueprint for the game, Carmichael will now pursue other professional opportunities.

QRU Chairman Damien Frawley said: “Jim and I have been speaking since March and there have been a number of things he and I wanted him to finalise before his departure. When Jim arrived at Ballymore from Melbourne in 2009 there was huge uncertainty around the game and this organisation. His prior business experience outside Rugby allowed him to come to us with a fresh perspective.

“During Jim’s seven years as CEO, QRU has experienced considerable growth in Rugby participation and Reds membership. I’d like to thank Jim for his significant contribution. We wish him and his family well for the future. It is an all consuming role.”

Leading QRU executives, Daniel Herbert and Dave Hanham will assume day to day responsibilities of the business reporting directly through to Chairman, Damien Frawley, for the short period until the new CEO is announced.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Back to the footy, missing pieces to the puzzle;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Tui
8. Browning
9. Frisby
11. CFS
12. Godwin
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Tongan Thor (must surely be ready for 20 minutes a game by 2017!)
19. Matwijow
21. Gale
22. McIntyre

IMO that's the core of what we are working off atm for next season. A new experienced 10 as well as a 7 & 12 would be absolutely perfect for the Reds. However finding the right players will be tough.

Do we use the international slot for an All-Black in one of those positions? Any players come to mind?

I'd prefer to keep Matwijow over Cadeyrn Neville if it came down to a choice.

Curtis Browning impressed me at No.8, so my preference again would be to keep him there.

There's been talk that Kyle Godwin's development is being stunted at the Force, and the last I could find was a three-year extension back in 2013.

He should be off contract at the end of this season. He's a well-rounded centre with a good distribution game who could really help unlock Kerevi and the other wide threats. The signing might have ARU support too.

I'd really like to see the Reds put Sunnybank halfback Issak Fines-Leleiwasa on an EPS contract, just so he doesn't get pinched by the Force/Rebels. He's a really dynamic ball-runner with good strength through contact - I'd put him on par with Genia in terms of speed.

His biggest weakness, decision making, would only improve with time in the Reds, and he's got a much higher ceiling than Tuttle or Gale - neither of whom could be described as 'gifted' athletes.

Fines isn't the answer, but he'll get signed sooner or later and I'd rather it was by us.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know if is the proper thread but I'd like to see this kind of Reds polo shirt:

watermarked_thumbnail.jpg

Obviously with different colours, maybe a dark red instead of navy

C'mon, BLK! You can do it

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/50ec0e1703728844335eff464d04f816

"What we want to do is have an identity like the Crusaders that is something that outlives people."

Hire Todd Blackadder.

Appoint everyone he wants to appoint.

Implement every single thing he says.

Ignore every single idea that anyone within the upper management or board of the QRU *ever* have about anything to do with running or producing a high performance unit because as an institution the QRU have a demonstrated history of showing that their systems are not capable of delivering on their goals.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This could be fun

Stuart Lancaster poised to snub Bath job after Mike Ford sacking
By NIK SIMON FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 07:32 +10:00, 17 May 2016 | UPDATED: 09:03 +10:00, 17 May 2016
View comments

Bath could miss out on Stuart Lancaster as they begin their search for a replacement for Mike Ford, who was sacked on Monday.
Lancaster is ready to return to work for the first time since the World Cup but the axed England coach favours a move to the Southern Hemisphere.
The 46-year-old is in the running for a job in Super Rugby with the Queensland Reds.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3593596/Stuart-Lancaster-poised-snub-Bath-job-Mike-Ford-sacking.html#ixzz48roJrD9b

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is supposed to be a very good coach and he did have England playing some pretty good rugby in the time prior to the RWC

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'd much rather get an ITM Cup coach from New Zealand.

Seems to be a breeding ground for quality - just look at how good the Chiefs have been since getting Keiran Keane on-board from Tasman. Their attack is the best it's ever been.

With coaching positions in NZ settled for now, the better ITM Cup coaches will be looking elsewhere to take the next step coaching. Canterbury won the competition last year under Scott Robertson. Surely he'd be worth looking at for our head coaching gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.