• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Any coach who wants to coach in the Southern Hemisphere is currently in the running to coach the Reds I would assume/hope.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Lancaster got the English team playing the most attractive and best Rugby they've played in ages. He will be marked poorly for their implosion at the RWC and I'm not saying he shouldn't but the Poms were always going to do poorly - they were way too young an inexperienced. When you look at what cost them it was on field calls made by a young mob that let the occasion get the better of them.

Not saying we should necessarily sign him for the Reds job but we shouldn't disregard him if he's interested.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Lancaster could be good for the Reds. He did some good things with England.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seems to me that a lot of coaches are terrific with franchises and poor with national sides. Robbie Deans for instance could coach the shit out of a confined group of players that he just had to work with. But when he was given the wallabies job he had so many options that he could experiment that it all turned into a gelatinous blob.

Might be the same with someone like Lancaster, who fell apart when he had to select from a massive group of potential players and ended up making a 'rush of blood' decision with Scapegoat Sam.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think an outsider from England combined with a CEO with a cricket background would be ideal.

No old boys club and no loyalty to under performing players.

Worked last time we recruited from outside of the old boys club.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Seems to me that a lot of coaches are terrific with franchises and poor with national sides. Robbie Deans for instance could coach the shit out of a confined group of players that he just had to work with. But when he was given the wallabies job he had so many options that he could experiment that it all turned into a gelatinous blob.

Might be the same with someone like Lancaster, who fell apart when he had to select from a massive group of potential players and ended up making a 'rush of blood' decision with Scapegoat Sam.
Lancaster also coached his team to dead last in the Guinness Premiership so there's a bit of a recurring theme of failure

T

TOCC

My biggest issue with Lancaster was selecting Burgess at centre, it made no sense at the time given the form of other centres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
England were runner-up four years in a row or something prior to this year. Many things went wrong at the RWC but coming second in what is usually a tough comp for consistency suggests something must have been going right.

I have preferred options to Lancaster and think the failure of the RWC will make it a tough sell to the fans if he is appointed. Reds could do worse though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My biggest issue with Lancaster was selecting Burgess at centre, it made no sense at the time given the form of other centres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they all may errors, but judging him only on that decision is like only judging Bob Dwyer on his comments about Ryan McGoldrick.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the poor showing by England in the RWC will actually work for whoever signs him as he has something to prove. By the sound of things he's been pretty proactive in getting feedback from others in how to improve.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the poor showing by England in the RWC will actually work for whoever signs him as he has something to prove. By the sound of things he's been pretty proactive in getting feedback from others in how to improve.

He'd be bloody fantastic. For Force. Reds? Jeez, would be an improvement on RG, but can he match our current CIHC's?

Hell I hope the decission makers know what they are doing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe I just need my eyes opened. He seems like a nice guy. After RG that doesnt seem very important. My "problem" is that I'd love to see Lancaster in Aus. But I've had enough of "this seems like a good idea" at the Reds.

Maybe it would be brilliant. But it's giving me indigestion right now.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Who do you reckon ?

It was more meant as a reference to how things work on GOT, but....

The Reds are currently the classic case of doing the same thing, trotting out the same stuff every week and expecting a different result. Well they are wrong, the result is the same. Schoolboy moves they continue to stuff up, co-interim HC's who must be trying to figure out what to do next and thus giving the impression of no actual coaching being undertaken (ie: same thing every week, week in week out). A halves combination that is, frankly, terrible with a 9 who thinks he is a 10 and a 10 who doesn't know what he is. And what's with the kicking?

So in answer to your question, to start with, both HC's and both halves. This doesn't mean they can't be used successfully in different areas though.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
He'd be bloody fantastic. For Force. Reds? Jeez, would be an improvement on RG, but can he match our current CIHC's?

Hell I hope the decission makers know what they are doing.

To date, there is zero evidence that the board of the QRU knows what it's doing.

That evidence is to be accrued when we assess its choices for a new CEO and Reds HC. And then, in 2017, how they actually perform.

Whilst in the golden glow few years of 2010-12 Link and Carmichael did incontestably outstanding joint work for QLD rugby, that period is now shown, sadly, as a 'oncer', a true outlier in a decade or more of merciless incompetence, reckless and nepotistic introversion and generally poor strategic and managerial judgement.

With Wayne Smith's leaks in The Australian that, seemingly, the leading candidates for QRU CEO are - deliberately - Queenslanders with zero successful track records in professional elite sports administration but rather having media careers, my concerns that no real lessons have been learnt are growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.