• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Things aren't all bad in Australian rugby when we are arguing over which of three impressive, young THPs are going to be first in the queue for the Wallabies in 2 years.

T

Train Without a Station

What. you're telling me there's rugby outside of Sydney Reg?

In all seriousness in the right environment a player can improve dramatically on the technical aspects of scrummaging. Coupled with the right strength they should improve dramatically as a scrummager.

I'd saying playing under Nick Stiles in QLD has been shown to be the right environment for that (Can't say the same for a lot of other parts of the game though!).

Barring any genetic limitations, Tupou should be able to be developed into an equal or better scrummager as Robertson within 2 years.

I don't any environment is going to teach Robertson to be anywhere as good around the ground as Tupou is though. A lot of that ability is something you either have, or you don't.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
When you talk of young prop prospects like Robertson and Tupou experience comes from packing down in scrums.

It is better when your scrum is the dominant one and its fair to say the Reds scrum should be as good as the last couple of years (even with Holmes missing).

If Tupou works hard and is mentored right he will improve at scrumtime quite quickly. He is superior to Tom around the park.

Anyway it is really promising to have 3 good youngTHP's fighting for position behind Kepu.

It will be an interesting battle

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Robertson has a better shape for LHP anyway. He's young, plenty of time to figure that out

I know different coaches have opinions about shape of LH v TH, but what looking at the shapes of highly successful players proves is these opinions don't hold true.

All props are muscular and heavy, but other than that tall, fat, whatever, it's all talent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So CFS has injured his knee whilst playing in Japan. 6 months recovery and likely to miss approx the first 5 rounds.

Gees I hope we're not paying him much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I heard we are paying him barely anything, was lucky to get renewed. If he didn't have a solid season after 'finding his confidence' in japan, he would have been lucky to go around again. Hope he sticks around but at bare minimum.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Heard on the grapevine that Mack Mason has signed with the force. Maybe doesnt want to be stuck behind Quade and Mcintyre?

Would be a shame, though he was at the reds on an u20 contract. Third will probably move into the '3rd string' FH role, no pun intended.

Will we see Lucas back in Aus after his Japan stint? Would be a perfect bench option for the Reds to cover 9, 10 and FB. Tuttle needs a bit more time and mcintyre will continue to be.....solid.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Part of every contract you would think that if you get injured playing or training for someone then they pay for the surgery and rehab.

I know a couple of Aus players in Japan have flown back for surgery here.

T

TOCC

Also how good has Duncan P been for QLD country! Played very strongly on the weekend. He'll be a strong option for the Reds in 2017/18

Duncan P was a good option at the start of 2016 IMO, the best the Reds backline looked in 2016 was in the trial games when Duncan P ran at inside centre, i found it baffling that RG/MOC never ran that as a combo during the season.

He loses composure occasionally with silly decisions, but that's part of the parcel with some of these younger riskier type playmakers.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
DP played extremely well but blotted his copybook at the death, his misdemeanor cost QC (Quade Cooper) the match. However, as Boris Becker said about a tennis match which he lost: "It was not a war, nobody died out there"; he'll learn.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yes he is to blame for the last minute mistake, but was it his fault we lost or was it the team when considered over 80 minutes?

If he had not set up a try earlier in the game then we would have lost before full time.

Yes it was a massive mistake and thank god it was at NRC level and not Super Rugby level but I like to consider what a player offers over their whole game.

How many points to they allow their team to score minus what they cost the team.

This is why I have stuck by Cooper for so long, he has many faults in defence but he gets us points and is a net positive while on the field, DP will do this as well.

NRC is there for learning

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From memory, he set up two of our tries and had a hand in two others, plus created a number of other line breaks.

Whilst the fall out of his pass over the sideline is disappointing, my bigger concern is that he did appear to fall of a few tackles.

Generally speaking, tackling appears optional a lot of the time in the NRC, but if he is going to be a regular in Super rugby, he'll have to improve there.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From memory, he set up two of our tries and had a hand in two others, plus created a number of other line breaks.

Whilst the fall out of his pass over the sideline is disappointing, my bigger concern is that he did appear to fall of a few tackles.

Generally speaking, tackling appears optional a lot of the time in the NRC, but if he is going to be a regular in Super rugby, he'll have to improve there.

I would imagine given his foray into League that he would at some point have been taught how to tackle, hopefully using his arms.

I dont think his defence is too much of a concern, it will be a simpler fix than teaching someone how to set up tries

Status
Not open for further replies.