• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Wasn't Toua signed as emergency cover for Hunt and if Hunts available doesn't that leave Toua without a gig?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Doubt it, RA havent demonstrated themselves to be quite lax and in their interpretation of the salary cap and squad sixes

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Who would pick Hunt and if so, where?

I have no problem picking Hunt on the back of his recent "misdemeanors". Where you put him is the issue. Dint have a probalem with him spending a bit of time in grade. Then in the squad he is a little behind the 8 ball - plenty of players squeezing in front of him in the early part of the season. Let him work for it and see.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not for me. I was a big supporter of him being picked last year and thought he could have been our Test 12 or 15.

But he has blown his chance IMO. With Thorn taking such a hard line on culture I think he would leave himself open if he were to pick him.

Plus if reports are true that sponsors will walk away then they simply can’t pick him.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yep he was signed as emergency cover for Hunt. Not sure where that leaves him or the Reds now though. I imagine the Reds are trying to work out how to cancel Hunt’s contract at the moment.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/super-rugby/reds/queensland-reds-sign-aidan-toua-as-emergency-cover-for-troubled-karmichael-hunt/news-story/b6bdf68718d61259eda06c26bfbd4ffe

I'm quite sure Toua was 'signed as emergency cover' doesn't mean he was signed on a different contract to anyone else, it was more their way of saying 'he is going to cover fullback for us'.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
But he has blown his chance IMO. With Thorn taking such a hard line on culture I think he would leave himself open if he were to pick him.

Not sure that Thorn would 'leave himself open'. He was very transparent about leaving Frisby and Cooper out of the squad due to wanting to go in other directions, and yes attitude and 'culture' were drawn upon as reasons possibly for this but he hasn't, as far as I'm aware, come out to the public and said 'drinking, partying, etc will get you extradited from this team'.

Hunt has been served a punishment and paid his dues in that regard and I think is still a value adding member of the team. Public opinion will of course be mixed on the matter but I don't think Thorn should be criticized for letting Hunt back into the team, providing he's ticked all the boxes that have been outlined.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This was already his second chance. I don’t think he can be brought back on the back of that alone. Huge loss of talent but this is just one of those situations..

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big Dog you are essentially saying he didn’t know what he was doing was wrong. I don’t agree with that. He wasn’t drunk.

I agree with USA Rugger - he’d already had a first chance.

If he can’t or won’t adhere to expectations then it is time for him and the Reds to part company.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would hope he would know it was wrong - it's pretty apparent he put himself into a bad situation. I'm referring to the extract of your post where you reference Thorn being left in the open and essentially criticized if he were to let Hunt back into the team. Feel free to prove me wrong but Thorn is yet to come out on record stating that what Hunt did is worthy of being released and that it even falls into the same category of why Cooper and Frisby were let go.

People's opinions about whether or not Hunt should be allowed back are going to vary and I'm in the boat that if Thorn is happy for him to return then by all means he can be allowed to as he's been cleared by RA and the courts of the serious charges.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would hope he would know it was wrong - it's pretty apparent he put himself into a bad situation. I'm referring to the extract of your post where you reference Thorn being left in the open and essentially criticized if he were to let Hunt back into the team. Feel free to prove me wrong but Thorn is yet to come out on record stating that what Hunt did is worthy of being released and that it even falls into the same category of why Cooper and Frisby were let go.

People's opinions about whether or not Hunt should be allowed back are going to vary and I'm in the boat that if Thorn is happy for him to return then by all means he can be allowed to as he's been cleared by RA and the courts of the serious charges.
Fair enough - I see your point now. Even though you are right in that he hasn’t publicly spoken out about Hunt’s behaviour I still feel it would go against the cultural change he is trying to achieve to condone it.

I am mindful of Sullys post above and will leave it at that.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I am mindful of Sullys post above and will leave it at that.

I would like to say this, with all due respect, and point out that I do have the utmost respect and appreciate the effort of those who moderate forums like this, moreover I appreciate I am somewhat new here.

I personally feel like this is perhaps an instance of slightly over zealous moderation, it's not a situation where this discussion is disrupting or detracting from discussion of other topics. I feel like it's not a topic that's 'bogging down' this thread -- yet. And perhaps that's because we have fantastic moderators (we do have fantastic moderators) who foresee these issues and divert them appropriately before issues crop up.

Sully, please don't view this as any kind of personal attack because it's not, I've noticed it a few times on this thread particular (and a few times it's been the other way in other threads), just wanted to say my little bit.

Having said all that I just posed a juicy comment over in the K-Hunt thread... Click here to find out more.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair Zero Cool - I think Sully’s point was essentially that a number of posters asked specifically to have a seperate thread on Hunt because they didn’t want the Reds thread being overrun (which it was threatening to do at one point). So he was really just directing traffic.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair Zero Cool - I think Sully’s point was essentially that a number of posters asked specifically to have a seperate thread on Hunt because they didn’t want the Reds thread being overrun (which it was threatening to do at one point). So he was really just directing traffic.

I did not know this, that's fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.