• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Genia still hasn't signed with an Australian club, Reds still an option with Frisby a possibility to be released if he gets a contract elsewhere.. possibly overseas

It's quite a ridiculous contractural situation, 2 players with ARU top ups are without clubs for next year(Genia and Simmons), clubs are forced to pay half of what the ARU values the players contract at.. so if the ARU says Genia is worth $700k, then the Reds need to find $350k.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Genia still hasn't signed with an Australian club, Reds still an option with Frisby a possibility to be released if he gets a contract elsewhere.. possibly overseas

It's quite a ridiculous contractural situation, 2 players with ARU top ups are without clubs for next year(Genia and Simmons), clubs are forced to pay half of what the ARU values the players contract at.. so if the ARU says Genia is worth $700k, then the Reds need to find $350k.

Can the fans start a gofundme to help subsidize Frisby departure?

Would love to see Frisby moved on and bring back a franchise legend in Genia!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Can the fans start a gofundme to help subsidize Frisby departure?

Would love to see Frisby moved on and bring back a franchise legend in Genia!

you say move on but frisby would still add value at another franchise. Remember that Australian rugby's issue is depth. Maybe tell Frisby he's wanted, but needs to work on a couple of things first. Drop Sorovi and Keep your 3 best halfbacks. We want players to urn their place, not just given it on talent or potential.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd gladly have him, but I don't like how it has transpired. Right at the start of the process the Reds should have ruled themselves out on the basis they had 3 contracted halves.

I know contracts seem to have lost a lot of meaning (from both sides) but forcing out one of our existing halves seems wrong to me.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He headed overseas to earn the big biccies. Happy for that. But it forced Aus rugby to live in his absence. The argument that we can't dictate to our big names where they go is now mute. He does not (should not) get to dictate he returns to Brisbane.

It becomes a market where the offer from Australian rugby is Melbourne/Perth wherever it best strengthens rugby. OTOH if the Reds want him, say like we needed a flyhalf in Cooper, then we bid, but ARU is entitled to back off the top up. Which would stay high - in Melbourne/Perth.

Personally I don't think we need him. Though I'm not happy with Frisby in 2017 either. Mind you I would have said the same for Moore this time last year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
you say move on but frisby would still add value at another franchise. Remember that Australian rugby's issue is depth. Maybe tell Frisby he's wanted, but needs to work on a couple of things first. Drop Sorovi and Keep your 3 best halfbacks. We want players to urn their place, not just given it on talent or potential.

I would rather take the punt on Sorovi. The kid is super young and he would essentially be developed as the backup to a Genia/Tuttle rotation.

I just don't know how much better Frisby is on the development scale. I remember commentators raving about Frisby ability to play #10 or #15 and he was absolutely horrible when given those chances at the super rugby level.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Reds were looking to shed a halfback for Genia, I'd happily take Sorovi or Tuttle, but not interested in Frisby.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How have the Wallabies lost out with Genia overseas? Who has stepped up to his level in his absence from Super Rugby? As far as I can (subjectively) see Genia is still clearly the best half in the country and he wants to play for the Reds. I'd try to everything to get him.
Btw you can almost guarantee he'll be the half for the test matches unless he's injured. Sure as shit if he's not it won't be a Reds half taking his spot.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
He headed overseas to earn the big biccies. Happy for that. But it forced Aus rugby to live in his absence. The argument that we can't dictate to our big names where they go is now mute. He does not (should not) get to dictate he returns to Brisbane.

It becomes a market where the offer from Australian rugby is Melbourne/Perth wherever it best strengthens rugby. OTOH if the Reds want him, say like we needed a flyhalf in Cooper, then we bid, but ARU is entitled to back off the top up. Which would stay high - in Melbourne/Perth.

Personally I don't think we need him. Though I'm not happy with Frisby in 2017 either. Mind you I would have said the same for Moore this time last year.

I doubt the WF would want him at a 1/4 the price.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How have the Wallabies lost out with Genia overseas? Who has stepped up to his level in his absence from Super Rugby? As far as I can (subjectively) see Genia is still clearly the best half in the country and he wants to play for the Reds. I'd try to everything to get him.
Btw you can almost guarantee he'll be the half for the test matches unless he's injured. Sure as shit if he's not it won't be a Reds half taking his spot.
I don't disagree Genia's standing in the pecking order Sully - but Frisby entered into a contract with the Reds in good faith. He is entitled to expect the Reds to honour it. In return, the Reds are entitled to expect him to address whatever shortcomings has seen him fall from grace, but so long as he is prepared to do that then I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the Reds forcing him out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why is that Reg?

Probably because I think Frisby has a higher ceiling. It's going to take a massive attitude shift from this year for sure. But even watching him today's Major Final he showed the class we've seen.

Genia to me is just coming home to retire. He'll be a pro, I have no doubt, but I don't think he's what we want in our team anymore. I want Tuttle and Frisby (and Sorovi and Chapman and McDermott) snapping away at each other's heels.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Probably because I think Frisby has a higher ceiling. It's going to take a massive attitude shift from this year for sure. But even watching him today's Major Final he showed the class we've seen.

Genia to me is just coming home to retire. He'll be a pro, I have no doubt, but I don't think he's what we want in our team anymore. I want Tuttle and Frisby (and Sorovi and Chapman and McDermott) snapping away at each other's heels.

Yes I agree with your logic but have been disappointed at how Frisby has performed for the Reds given how strong he has been in the NRC and as you said today in Premier rugby. Do you have any take on what went wrong with him? He seemed to be a very skilled footballer and after having to fill in all over the place under RG I had expected him to shine at 9 for the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.