• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

How much say did the ARU have in the latest coaching appointments?

There was an interesting comment from Stiles, i don't have the original comment so i'l paraphrase here but more or less he said that whilst he supported the new National Coaching Advisory Panel which formed this year, he admittedly didn't think this would be the outcome.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Man, he’s standing in that car park, I SAW the fricken photo. If he loiters he’s in trouble. Red for sure.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting he’ll be the next head coach, or the next CEO?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting article for two reasons -
- I guess I should wait to see how well he has recovered to this point, but I hope Slipper is left behind for the EOYT. I don’t believe he ever returned to his full ability from his previous injuries. Would really like to see him have the full off season on top of his recovery so far and come out firing in Super rugby
- I know the reference to the Mantra of Thorns is just a sound bite really, but super rugby players (and test player) seem to becoming smaller, quicker and more industrious. In saying that if Thorn is focused on peak physical condition I think that has to be a good thing.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...n/news-story/f6cdb4a6739fce3b67418dae399a9673

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In context nobody had ever achieved what Martin Johnson did in English Rugby either and he was parachuted into a coaching position he did not have the experience for and it ended his career. There is a price to be paid in any field with talent being promoted too early and too green. There is rarely a second chance at the top levels.

But at the same time, rugby coaching is not (hopefully) the same as the public service, where promotion up the ranks is mostly done by seniority. In Thorne's case, aside from his outstanding playing record, he has now successfully coached for two seasons, has been an assistant coach to the Reds, and probably as importantly, has the respect & total support of the playing squad. If he asked them to jump over the goal posts, they probably would (front rowers excluded).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But at the same time, rugby coaching is not (hopefully) the same as the public service, where promotion up the ranks is mostly done by seniority. In Thorne's case, aside from his outstanding playing record, he has now successfully coached for two seasons, has been an assistant coach to the Reds, and probably as importantly, has the respect & total support of the playing squad. If he asked them to jump over the goal posts, they probably would (front rowers excluded).

I heard Brad Thorn ripped a goal post out of the ground and beat Chuck Norris to death with it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So..wait...Brad Thorn beat Chuck Norris to death with his own pole.

Please Cyclo - enough with the smutty jokes.

Occupational hazard. Plus, the forum is so farked I can't post images or GIFs, so words are all I have.

Reactions: TSR

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Young Duncan is really becoming something else altogether.

I hope the reds don't start screwing him over by trying to make him shift all over the backline.

He needs time to develop consistency and that means developing in one position.

*please keep him at 12*

T

TOCC

I’ve said it before, but RG really screwed over Duncan.. in his first year in 2015 he thrust Duncan into 5/8 well before he was ready, and as expected he failed pretty badly.. in 2016 he again trialled Duncan at 12 outside of McIntyre and it was the best the Reds backline looked that year, incredibly RG never played Duncan at 12 again in 2016.

Fortunately Stiles gave him the opportunity at 12 and he hasn’t looked back, just needs to tighten up his defence and he will be a really good inside centre. But his strength is his running game, not his distribution, he is clearly a 12 and not a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

2015 was his injury year, he suffered successive concussions playing in the U20s that ruled him out for a long stretch.

2016 he was fit mostly, played QPR and NRC, and a couple of Reds matches, but at 5/8 and utility reserve, not 12.

T

TOCC

so not sure about blaming RG for that one.

Duncan played 12 in the 2016 pre-season and that was the best the backline looked.. yet dropped him next trial match and went with Taefu for RD1. Duncan didn’t play again under RG that year despite the backline struggling. That’s why i blame RG.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Duncan played 12 in the 2016 pre-season and that was the best the backline looked.. yet dropped him next trial match and went with Taefu for RD1. Duncan didn’t play again under RG that year despite the backline struggling. That’s why i blame RG.

Don't disagree with you that he should have been there but RG only had I think 2 games in 2016 (outside of trials) before being flicked, then Stiles'O'Connor took over, and they started bringing DP off the bench a month later with Anthony F starting at 12.

T

TOCC

They also played Goromaru at fullback...

Status
Not open for further replies.