• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
They also played Goromaru at fullback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes Goromaru - the less said about that whole saga the better - what a disappointment. Still, moving forward, there are quite a few players in good form - Duncan P, Tuttle, Nabuli, Stewart - all showing promise for next season - let us hope that this continues through to Super Rugby form.

T

TOCC

Played 25mins, made a couple of runs and tackles but nothing which really stood out. QCountry scrum finished the match well on top.

T

TOCC

Rodda off for surgery which will hopefully mean he is back for the start of the season. For the trials, Douglas and Tui to start, and potentially one of the kids, Blyth or Hockings to play off the bench. They’ve been playing well for QCountry, but lack the physicality/size for Super Rugby just yet.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The two young fellas Blyth and Hockings are pretty good, but they do definitely need to be placed firmly in the Slipper-Thorn lifting and eating program for a few months. It's as much about insuring their longevity in Super Rugby as it is about making them into better players.

I read that the Reds are interested in the two standout wingers from our NRC sides?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Filipo more likely due to his future eligibility for Australia whereas Eddie Fidow has already been capped by Samoa in 7's. It's amazing how good Filipo is. Apparently he's 21 and only picked the game up 2 years ago after being I high level Fijian soccer player. I would already have him way above Eto Nabuli but rushing Filipo straight into Super Rugby could possibly stunt his development. Time will tell

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Question:Why is it that Fiji can produce remarkable wingers in droves. Big, fast, elusive and look pretty tough as well.

Very few of those guys are able to play in the rough and tumble of top Super Rugby packs.

Is that a mental thing ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Question:Why is it that Fiji can produce remarkable wingers in droves. Big, fast, elusive and look pretty tough as well.

Very few of those guys are able to play in the rough and tumble of top Super Rugby packs.

Is that a mental thing ?

Access to quality coaching I would guess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DMdFaPiU8AAp18Z.jpg:large

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good to see daugunu get a shot at super rugby, nice to have some pace on the wings again. Hopefully there's room for fidow too, might be worth him filling magnays space until he returns.

This has to be CFS' last shot, he's been good in NRC but he really needs to string good super rugby games together

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This will be CFS's seventh season at the Reds. So far he has managed 47 appearances in six seasons.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Amazing accomplishment by Daugunu. I won’t lie but I had my own concerns how players like Fidow/Dagunu would look at the next level of NRC but both players have stood head & shoulders above their opposing wingers & both players will look to factor into their teams MVP awards at trophy night.

Hope the reds are able to offer Fidow a contract as well. He is just as deserving as Dagunu

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So the Reds have played 100 odd games over the last six years, and CFS has been involved in less than half of them.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a fantastic accomplishment for Daugunu. I do like seeing young players who perform well in QLD premier rugby get a look in. If he's as talented as it seems then he may grow into a real weapon

HOWEVER

Please don't forget that we've been down this road before. Does anyone remember Junior Laloifi? JJ Taulagi? Veresa Mataitini before him? CFS too arguably. There have always been talented wingers running around in QPR and more recently in our NRC sides. The number that have gone on to flourish at Super Rugby level is low.

What it takes to win consistently in Super Rugby is a MASSIVE step up from what it takes to win (or even dominate) at NRC and QPR level. Teams that win in Super Rugby are good enough to have often have Test caps sitting on the bench.

Good luck to the young man (and Fidow also if he gets a training squad spot, which he should) but I'm not banking on these guys being much of the difference if the Reds are to push forward and become a serious team in Super Rugby.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's a fantastic accomplishment for Daugunu. I do like seeing young players who perform well in QLD premier rugby get a look in. If he's as talented as it seems then he may grow into a real weapon

HOWEVER

Please don't forget that we've been down this road before. Does anyone remember Junior Laloifi? JJ Taulagi? Veresa Mataitini before him? CFS too arguably. There have always been talented wingers running around in QPR and more recently in our NRC sides. The number that have gone on to flourish at Super Rugby level is low.

What it takes to win consistently in Super Rugby is a MASSIVE step up from what it takes to win (or even dominate) at NRC and QPR level. Teams that win in Super Rugby are good enough to have often have Test caps sitting on the bench.

Good luck to the young man (and Fidow also if he gets a training squad spot, which he should) but I'm not banking on these guys being much of the difference if the Reds are to push forward and become a serious team in Super Rugby.
Outside backs in a losing team seldom look good

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He looks really good at the moment, he needs a year free of injury. My prediction is he is ready to go full beast mode in 2018.

Running straight at people with no footwork hardly ever works unless you're the size of Jonah. Unless CFS has added something to his arsenal, I'm expecting the exact same thing from him, a guy who doesn't deviate from a line or look to bet his man outside of the collision.

Having such dodgy hamstrings will also mean his top end pace will drop off and he'll be easy to defend against.

Status
Not open for further replies.