• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The smile on his face as he talks about Feao Fotuaika, his effort and opportunities for older players playing club the play pro rugby

yeah, as I listened on I gathered that. It's a fantastic story and a credit to Feao (who would have thunk he'd be running around for an hour playing Super Rugby in 30+ degree heat even just 3 months ago). Great eye by Cameron Lilycrap too.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe a matter for the Refereeing Decisions thread, but the Brumbies stopped the Reds maul on the required two occasions, and the ref gave the order to use it on the second occasion. As far as I know, the ball has to be used withing 5 seconds or possession turns over. It took 10 seconds (Imeasured the time) for the ball to come out after the ref's order and that led to Higger's try. IMO should have been a turnover with scrum feed to the Brumbies, as was ruled later in the game against the Brumbies.
You might be right, but what makes good refs good is knowing when not to blow the whistle more than knowing when to.

See also my comments about a "captains call" in rugby in the refs thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I hope the torpedo makes a return this weekend. Best part of the match - rivalled with Moses try celebration at the end.

Even better than the torpedo clearance is the torpedo bomb. Adam Reynolds has just about nailed them for South Sydney, they're a very hard skill to master but a hell of a thing to catch when they wobble around in the wind.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I love the effort, but as with the NSW game the oppo allowed us the opportunities. Brumbies uncharacteristically flat, I know it was hot but both teams had to play the conditions.

Capitalising on mistakes is all well and good but not many sides will give us that luxury. Having said that, we are getting there, I am loving the forward play. The games v the jaapies will be very interesting.

If only we could unleash the backs from set piece or phase ball. At least the guys are aware and hungry, finally showing some game smarts. I thought everyone stepped up a notch, at least we know where the bar is set be going forward.

I think we have the makings of a really really good team in another season or two provided we can keep the nucleus together.

HH another great cameo.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe a matter for the Refereeing Decisions thread, but the Brumbies stopped the Reds maul on the required two occasions, and the ref gave the order to use it on the second occasion. As far as I know, the ball has to be used withing 5 seconds or possession turns over. It took 10 seconds (Imeasured the time) for the ball to come out after the ref's order and that led to Higger's try. IMO should have been a turnover with scrum feed to the Brumbies, as was ruled later in the game against the Brumbies.
Understand where you are coming from BR and I did think the Reds were lucky to get away with it, but I think the difference was that the ref could see the ball and McDermott was pretty clearly trying to get it out to clear it, whereas with the Brumbies one the ball was wrapped up by Hockings and was never coming out. The rule was designed to stop halves killing the game unnecessarily so, in that sense, the refs interpretation was in line with the purpose of the rule (IMO of course, and I can see why a Brumbies supported would feel otherwise).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cripes, that seems very low, back in the day Qld v nags would've been at least 25k?. I wonder what the record is.

13k @ Ballymore wouldn't be so bad, @ 53k capacity Lang Park is just depressing :(

It's roughly 2,000 more people that attended the same match last year..........

The Reds average crowd in 2018 was just over 12k.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I'd say if a bunch of 20-something blokes turned up each with their paw patrol bottles full of vodka, security might check them.
:D

I know that's the risk with letting people bring liquids in but I'm glad common sense prevailed and they let us bring our kids drink bottles in. As it was they both smashed their waters by half time and I had to buy a bunch of mount franklins at half time to fill them up again.

Hope you could afford it. The stadium doesn't miss out in making a quid on food and drinks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You might be right, but what makes good refs good is knowing when not to blow the whistle more than knowing when to.

See also my comments about a "captains call" in rugby in the refs thread

Inconsistency is the killer though Strewth. Two similar situations in the one game refereed quite differently, with ultimately an impact on the game itself.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Or when it fails, it fails bad. - i.e. goes perfectly sideways off the boot.

I think the other aspect is kicking them dead. A torpedo that really sails off the boot can go a huge distance and then keep travelling.

Kicking the ball dead from well inside your half is a substantial penalty now that it is a scrum to the opposition.

I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation between the decreased use of the torpedo and the change in the laws to make a ball kicked dead a scrum to the opposition from the position of the kick rather than a drop out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Understand where you are coming from BR and I did think the Reds were lucky to get away with it, but I think the difference was that the ref could see the ball and McDermott was pretty clearly trying to get it out to clear it, whereas with the Brumbies one the ball was wrapped up by Hockings and was never coming out. The rule was designed to stop halves killing the game unnecessarily so, in that sense, the refs interpretation was in line with the purpose of the rule (IMO of course, and I can see why a Brumbies supported would feel otherwise).

I can see there might have been a difference as you describe TSR, but if that's the case then why have the law in the first place. If the ball is tied up as it was by Hockings, then it will result in a turnover scrum anyway, whereas if it is free then there is not reason for the ref to say use it if he isn't going to enforce the law.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Inconsistency is the killer though Strewth. Two similar situations in the one game refereed quite differently, with ultimately an impact on the game itself.

Is it inconsistency though?

They're not similar situations. In one the referee can see the ball and thinks it can be cleared and in the other they can't.

The laws clearly allow for the referee to provide time for the ball to be cleared if they think it can be cleared.

The 5 seconds in the laws is about the maul stopping advancing. It is not mentioned in relation to clearing the ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can see there might have been a difference as you describe TSR, but if that's the case then why have the law in the first place. If the ball is tied up as it was by Hockings, then it will result in a turnover scrum anyway, whereas if it is free then there is not reason for the ref to say use it if he isn't going to enforce the law.
I think the argument is that we want to see refs use discretion, where appropriate, to allow the game to proceed. Happy to concede though that the Reds would have no case to argue if the ref had pulled it up.

Edit: with regards to the rule itself, if I recall correctly it was introduced when the practice was to form really long rucks & mails and hold the ball at the back for ridiculously long periods of time. That no longer occurs, so it has been a very good rule from that perspective.