• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force Rd 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Biggest asset for the Force this year is Gus Cottrell... He's got nasty. How good is he this year at the clean out and only going to get better.

M

Moono75

Cottell defelcted off two players expecting contact. They adusted their body positiions and it looked worse than it was. I'd back Gus to keep playing that way cause it's intimidating. He looks nasty this year. He'll hurt you.

Dominic Stovold

Frank Row (1)
Absolute monster of a game. Thanks to all you Reds that have shown grace in defeat. Really enjoyed the banter this week.
Hope you can see Brain dead Dick for what he is now. It's sad to see a S15 power not fulfilling their potental.
New coach time?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
One way to get over a disappointing loss, is a New Farm Deli cafe breakfast of 3 meats and eggs, coffee and the 4x4 tinnie and tackle show.

I'm going out for golf later. Should get my mind off it for a while.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good win Force. The Force are a much improved side, and with the injury gods smiling on them right now they could be the surprise packet of the comp. Think only Alcock and 3M are their injured players right now. The biggest thing the Force have currently is enthusiasm and self-belief. The ability to close out the close ones is important.

Reds just don't seem to have confidence right now. Their decision making is right off.

Examples are Genia's absolutely nothing kick from the scrum with 5 minutes to go. To me, you run that ball every time when you're 4 points up. Kick after a few phases.

Then there was the drop goal attempt at the end. No patience after making it into the Force, just a low percentage chance at a draw. Although the Reds players were all clustered midfield, they needed to reset and go again.

I am also wondering what Richard Graham was thinking with some of his subs. Absolutely the wrong time to sub some of the wrong players.

Reds shape and structure seems to go missing as not all players seem to know what they should be doing, a sharp difference from the McKenzie era. I'm starting to really worry about the current coaching staff at the Reds.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Great win Force.
A bunch of unknowns playing for each other can go far.
(Rough) similarities can be drawn to the Chiefs.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's complex though, isn't it, the whole context of the Tahs, the NSWRU, and all their histories. In the interests of Australian rugby, we do worry about you a lot actually, many of us want you to finally break through this year and win an S15 title.

Link left NSW, via France, came back, learnt some lessons, within 2 years at the Reds he achieved the title that had so painfully eluded him in NSW following his ignominious sacking from Australia's biggest State RU.

What we can say re M Foley - at the very least - he seems to be improving the Force at a faster rate in many facets of play and, critically, in a much more balanced forwards-and-backs-integrated mode of play, than has been the case with his two recent predecessors there.

The Waratahs board, management, administrative culture is something of a special place by all accounts. It tends to eat more than it procreates. To date, anyway.

Not the full wombat, then. Eats and leaves; no roots.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
It was wonderful to see Taps come back from the grave, so to speak. He was/is(?) such a fine player when confident and in the right head space. His decline was mystifying but almost looked terminal, it was enduring. I agree that his and Robinson's contributions may be on track to return to their best.

There is very little else that's improving in the 2014 Reds, and defence in particular is scarily deteriorating. Tonight on the S15 table we have conceded 189 points, the third worst there, 27 per game.

Yes - one of the few unequivocally positive things about last night's trip to Suncorp was noting that Ben T is defo getting his old form back. I wondered if this was on the cards back at season's start (or it might have been the Toowoomba trial?) when he came out looking like he'd had his jaws wired together during the off-season.

Bigger isn't always better...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am still trying to work out the Reds game plan in attack

Horwill said after the game it was to go out wide and try get isolated one on ones.

Great, but without the thrust on inside channels and/or the forwards making some yards, it is a bit easy to read

The Reds are really missing a unit to play that "Digby" role in the inside channels and someone in the pigs who can consistently get over the game line, the "Samo" role.

They have a set of workers, but they need someone who can get them over the gain line. They may have to invest more forwards into the attacking pods (driving the attacker forward) this year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One way to get over a disappointing loss, is a New Farm Deli cafe breakfast of 3 meats and eggs, coffee and the 4x4 tinnie and tackle show.

That sounds like a great day actually. Go the Dan Palmer route and garnish your meat with more meat.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is Horwill somehow struggling with injury/captaincy or whatever?? He seems to be not really hitting anything hard or carrying the bal with any real energy. Perhaps it just me, but he certainly doesn't look as good as he seemed to be a couple of years back.
But by gee the Force are playing well, and are certainly enjoyable to watch, Hogson is certinly playing bloody well, and I must admit to enjoy seeing how Haywood is going, always liked him when he was 12 for the Naki.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am still trying to work out the Reds game plan in attack
This is something that has had me puzzled for the last two years actually.

Other teams seem to be able to mount pressure off multiple phases and eventually exploit an overlap or defensive misread. Conversely the more phases the reds have, the closer they get to turning over the ball or going off their feet at the ruck and giving the ball to the other team. I just don't understand it.

The runners are just not there, and if they are, then most often they are so flat that the only thing the playmaker can do is throw a forward pass. I just don't understand what we are thinking.

We seem to make quite a few big breaks (on early phases) per match, but just completely and utterly blow it time and time again for multiple reasons (like the forward passes mentioned above, or knock ons, or getting isolated because there is no support, or dropping the ball, or rucking past the ball and leaving it for the opposition to pick it up, or getting it stripped, or grubber kicking it in a low percentage play, or passing it into touch, or passing it to the opposition, or not releasing the ball, or illegally sealing off the ball at the ruck, or getting counter rucked through no support, or dropping the ball over the try line, or being penalised for just about any offence known and unknown to the laws of rugby it seems, or allowing the opposition to slow the ball down whilst we stand there and ogle the offender instead of running in and smashing him off the ball, or we choose to pass it to the left where all the defense has reset instead of to the right where there is a massive overlap, or we elect to box kick it into touch but it doesn't find touch and finds the oppositions most elusive runner who returns it 80m with ease, or some others I have forgotten about).

So, now that think about it, if we could just get that little bit ^^^ right then our attack is probably actually ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.