• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Force Rd 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Awesome rant in one extended response sentence @Gel. Richie Benauds favourite number - 222 words.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is all about effort and creating options for the ball player

At the moment the Reds are are all about Coopers wide money balls, but his options don't seem to be changing angles or running dummy lines often enough.

And then the support seems to lack depth

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good win Force. The Force are a much improved side, and with the injury gods smiling on them right now they could be the surprise packet of the comp. Think only Alcock and 3M are their injured players right now..

We had Rosalea and wykes go down early in this game. I don't think the injury gods are smiling on us as much now. Rosalea possible broken wrist as well so might be a while off. Hopefully wykes is ok.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rosalea had surgery this morning so I would say he is done Wykes was just a corked butt........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

Hahah,unfortunately,it's more,do as I say,not as I do!
But there was a bit of lettuce on my plate this morning to accompany my corn fritters,bacon & avocado..
With my Latte.

I'm assuming that by lettuce you mean Kale. ;)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

At the moment the Reds are are all about Coopers wide money balls, but his options don't seem to be changing angles or running dummy lines often enough.

Agree fp. As I've noted before, the Reds attack plans, such as they are, increasingly seem to hinge on QC (Quade Cooper) 'finding the answer every time to every question' presented by or from the opposition.

The remainder of the ensemble attack seems as though it's in a 'just wait for QC (Quade Cooper)'s answer' type mode, second level creativity or deeply practiced programmed attack linking forwards and backs, or a second playmaker starting other options up all seem absent from the overall plan. Then, as but one consequence, we see the handling errors pile up in tight plays close to the line in 50/50 (or better) try scoring opportunities.

This is very dangerous for the team but worse it will risk placing excessive stress and expectations on QC (Quade Cooper) with the result that he'll try and force too much alone, or start playing with too much execution risk. More or less as happened with aspects of his play under Deans when the attacking structures and ensemble work lacked coherence and depth, Cooper's tendency was to overplay his hand and the wild passes and high-risk moves gradually increased.

To this point in 2014, I see no discernible contribution of quality from the Reds attack coach Meehan. As distinct from, for example, Gibson's generally very good 2014 work in really improving the Tahs' attacking coherence, attacking support play, and much improved ensemble quality within the Tahs backs overall. Good coaches don't take long to make a more or less obvious contribution or marked improvements in their charges.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Coda re little-noticed fact.

Phil 'Chook' Fowler as team strategist, kicking coach and other things was rightly recognised as playing a major behind-the-scenes role as Assistant Coach to Link in the crucial 2010-11 Reds period.

He fell out with parties at the Reds and left in (IIRC) 2012 as 'the old firm' that built the truly impressive Reds revival and triumph broke up that year, Taylor off to Scotland for 2013, etc. Rumour has it that one major reason for the fall out was his unrelenting insistence on rigorous performance review of all players, very much including the stars and that some stars did not take kindly to this approach post the 2011 title period.

Lo and behold, where is 'Chook' now, as Rugby Strategist no less:

http://www.westernforce.com.au/Team/CoachingStaff.aspx

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know why Chook left the Reds and it wasn't because of the above. And as Matt Hodgson said on our podcast the other day his only involvement with the force is by correspondence. He's barely involved.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree fp. As I've noted before, the Reds attack plans, such as they are, increasingly seem to hinge on QC (Quade Cooper) 'finding the answer every time to every question' presented by or from the opposition.

This is very dangerous for the team but worse it will risk placing excessive stress and expectations on QC (Quade Cooper) with the result that he'll try and force too much alone, or start playing with too much execution risk. More or less as happened with aspects of his play under Deans when the attacking structures and ensemble work lacked coherence and depth, Cooper's tendency was to overplay his hand and the wild passes and high-risk moves gradually increased.

In my opinion RH, this is already happening. QC (Quade Cooper) is throwing every second long pass forward - thanks to the refs a lot are not getting picked up. The element of surprise has vanished and if the QLD coaching staff don't address this soon then the Red's season is cooked and they'll be back to trying to beat the Tahs just to have something to hold on to.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

You said it yourself that we miss the Digby style hard runner on the inside (I would call him the ninth forward). CFS I hope could fill the role. I think the inside ball personally is more dangerous than the long ball. When it doesn't create a line break it is certain to create quick ball for the next phase. We have become very predictable and easy to defend against. As we have been playing, a simple umbrella defence has been enough to shut us down. We have at times tried to unpick it with a short kicking game but our kicking hasn't been accurate enough. We miss the impact of a strong ball carrier. Somebody who always pulls in more than one defender. Our back row is industrious but lacks punch. It isn't balanced. I see no harm in trying McDurling at 6. What is the worst that can happen at this point?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Speaking of Force coaching staff who have made a real difference, I would be looking at David Joyce. We are finishing with a wet sail each week and that has got to be because we are fitter and stronger.

He has excellent pedigree and I can't see us holding onto him long term. I just hope he goes to the Wallabies or the Australian Olympic program. We can't afford to lose him to an opposition again.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Speaking of Force coaching staff who have made a real difference, I would be looking at David Joyce. We are finishing with a wet sail each week and that has got to be because we are fitter and stronger.

He has excellent pedigree and I can't see us holding onto him long term. I just hope he goes to the Wallabies or the Australian Olympic program. We can't afford to lose him to an opposition again.
He came to us from the Chinese Olympic team If I remember correctly.

dabiged

Stan Wickham (3)
I just caught the replay and I had a question about the placid/morahan incident in the 65th minute. I do not have a video of it but compare it to this incident north of the equator also last night?

http://balls.ie/rugby/gif-jared-payne-red-carded-ulster-4-minutes/

Is this is a NH vs SH rules interpretation? I cannot see a huge difference in the incidents, but one resulted in a red card, and the other was (in the opinion of the fox sports commentary team) a questionable penalty.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Rasolea will be missed but when Brache came on I thought he was really good, he's agile, has good acceleration and didn't miss a tackle(?)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Placid penalty was a joke. The ref blew his whistle an awarded the penalty and went to the TMO to check the severity. On replay it was as clear as day that both were simply contesting the ball. No penalty, it should've been a scrum restart but the ref had already made a big deal out of it so awarded the penalty to save face it looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.