• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs, rd2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How many times do I have to say Simmons is average? I refrained from using the word shit because he is infinitely better then me. Lol.
How old is he now?

Harrison could caption?

Saia has been average for the last 2 years. Hansen is much better and should start.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Slipper will be a lot better for the run vs the Brums. Incredible to think that since Link took over only Horwill & Genia had been needed to captain the side and that is coming back to bite us. Hopefully Finger will be back to provide extra leadership as i don't think Tapuai did much talking either.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Secondly and perhaps more concerning, the Reds really lacked leadership on Saturday. I like Slipper, but he did a shit job a captain. I dont think I saw him chatting to his teammates once on the weekend. We needed a Genia or a Horwill. I not sure who I'd choose to captain on the weekend.

No4918 beat me to it. I'd give the job to Ant F if he's fit. I imagine he would've captained on the weekend if he was playing but no such luck. Without Kev, Slipper will still have the (c) next to his name but I expect Ant will have a lot to say on the pitch.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I should probably add though, I've never thought much of the 'quiet' type leaders on a footy field. Whatever they add, they will add as captain or not. Your captain needs to lead the team with actions AND words.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
When the game was in the balance on Saturday, Mowen was going ape-shit yelling at everyone. it was great. meanwhile the Reds appeared to be captainless.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
When the game was in the balance on Saturday, Mowen was going ape-shit yelling at everyone. it was great. meanwhile the Reds appeared to be captainless.

Agree.
In the absence of Horwill and Genia, the Reds need to find another strong on-field leader, someone with a strong personality who hates losing games. Soon.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ant has been ruled fit and I think is the man to take the captaincy. He leads from the front but seeing the Reds live you only just appreciate how vocal he is.

Horwill being ruled out is a huge blow. Any news on if Samo will be fit? I would retain the back row and start him at lock if he is fit.

I agree Hanson should start. Saia is in a form slump. Not a big deal as it happens to all players but a benching maybe just what he needs.

Lance to fullback is a plausable option and by all accounts he has an accurate goal kicking boot in his own right.

A below par round one performance is nothing to worry about. We will be better for it and know what to work on.

I would be tempted with a 5:2 split on the bench.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
I heard Morahan is playing well, if I remember well last year he scored the only try in Canberra - he's a threat and I rate him - wonder why is not in the frame right now.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ant has been ruled fit and I think is the man to take the captaincy. He leads from the front but seeing the Reds live you only just appreciate how vocal he is.

Horwill being ruled out is a huge blow. Any news on if Samo will be fit? I would retain the back row and start him at lock if he is fit.

I agree Hanson should start. Saia is in a form slump. Not a big deal as it happens to all players but a benching maybe just what he needs.

Lance to fullback is a plausable option and by all accounts he has an accurate goal kicking boot in his own right.

A below par round one performance is nothing to worry about. We will be better for it and know what to work on.

I would be tempted with a 5:2 split on the bench.

Lance & Lucas are both very good goal kickers, so I'm not sure why so much is invested in Harris's kicking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Geez Tigerland I hope you are right with your team selection.
The Tah's will have a field day against that one..

Not sure if all these guys are fit, but this would be my starting XV

4.Douglas
5.Timani

I'd probably prefer to start Chapman and bring on Timani for impact around half time.

I thought Chapman was excellent against the Crusaders and was a massive boost in the lineout. Either way, Douglas, Timani and Chapman should all play plenty of minutes.

Folau might be awesome but then again he could be Tahu mark 2..or rogers.or tuquiri..or sailor.or blacklock. None of them are greats.

Out of all these players, Tuqiri really doesn't deserve to be on the list.

He scored 30 tries from 67 tests for the Wallabies which is a really good strike rate for a winger. Not as good as Tune or Campese but better than someone like Roff who scored 30 tries in 86 tests.

Out of all the league converts so far, Tuqiri managed to combine a strong career with the Tahs and Wallabies with being very popular amongst fans. I find it hard to criticise that.

Allsports

Stan Wickham (3)
Saia F & Simmons were a waste of space against the Brumbies, their whole purpose seemed to be disrupt & niggle, not play Rugby. Their team lost partly because of their lack of focus, Simmons laying all over players with no intention on moving & picking on a halfback isn't very tough. Although White handled it well, good for you. Looking forward to the game on Friday night, should be a good one

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Whichever way you look at it, there will be some humble pie consumed this weekend.

Both teams are missing key players, but that is a simple fact of life at top level rugby, always has been. This will add some ginger to the mix.

As always the Tahs have to show the long suffering fans that they have actually changed the corner, and that this current honeymoon is just not another of their false dawns.

As for the Reds, they were pretty unimpressive last weekend, and need to step up a notch for their first Supe Home game of the season.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Despite my prediction on last week's podslam that the Reds would lose to the Brumbies but then win this weekend against the Tahs, and despite adding several caveats to that prediction on this week's podslam, when forced to make a decision I have ended up tipping the Tahs on Saturday night!

P

Paradox

but better than someone like Roff who scored 30 tries in 86 tests.

Except Roff was a far better rugby player, won a world cup, Tom Richards Trophy, and a couple of super rugby titles. If you reread my post, I said Tuquiri wasn't a great which he wasn't and left the game in disgrace. For the record, Roff scored 57 tries in super rugby and often played full back. I believe he still holds the record for most tries in a season.

T

tranquility

Except Roff was a far better rugby player, won a world cup, Tom Richards Trophy, and a couple of super rugby titles. If you reread my post, I said Tuquiri wasn't a great which he wasn't and left the game in disgrace. For the record, Roff scored 57 tries in super rugby and often played full back. I believe he still holds the record for most tries in a season.

Tuquiri was at one point a walkup start in a world XV. That constitutes being a great in my book.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The point I was making is that Tuqiri's numbers stack up very well against someone who is pretty much universally considered a Wallaby great.

Whilst I would be hesitant to call Tuqiri a Wallaby great, he certainly didn't play 67 tests just because he was a high profile signing from rugby league.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Did Tiquiri really leave the game in disgrace?
I'm sure we have all heard rumours (maybe even the rumour) but was his departure any more than a reflection of the fact that he flouted JON's control?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Despite my prediction on last week's podslam that the Reds would lose to the Brumbies but then win this weekend against the Tahs, and despite adding several caveats to that prediction on this week's podslam, when forced to make a decision I have ended up tipping the Tahs on Saturday night!

Stop trying to put the mockers on us. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd probably prefer to start Chapman and bring on Timani for impact around half time.

I thought Chapman was excellent against the Crusaders and was a massive boost in the lineout. Either way, Douglas, Timani and Chapman should all play plenty of minutes.

One of the key reasons the Brumbies disrupted the Reds breakdown was their shifting at ruck time, Douglas & Timani should provide that and set the tempo, and knock their reach overs off their feet

The Reds are best when they quickly move the ball away from contact, the Tahs need to stop that

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.