• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies - Rd9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Reds were off side all the second half... Ref Walsh was trying to give them an opportunity... He has history with the brumbies... Resulting in the brumbies being rushed and dropping the ball... In the end thou the best team won... And I must say a great effort from the young 19 year old brumbies lock Tom Staniforth against the 2 incumbent wallabies locks... Horwill was in the papers talking up another reds loss...

T

tranquility

Thought Quirk played well.

There is no point talking about individual decisions on here, as every non-red supporter is enjoying the Reds demise. Saying things like, Quirk should have gone too, and Moore was in his rights are just not in line with the game of rugby. Very disappointing.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The first ref to send off both the holder/niggler and the retaliator will earn my undying respect. He'll probably get shit-canned but he will have struck the first decent blow to stop this negative play becoming standard procedure with all teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
And I must say a great effort from the young 19 year old brumbies lock Tom Staniforth against the 2 incumbent wallabies locks.

He turned 20 today, and he did OK didn't he? The captions had his weight at 106kgs, if I remember correctly, but I doubt that it's correct because he was that weight at school. The Canberra papers mentioned his being 113kgs, and I think that is closer to the mark.

With a bit more upper body work he will be stronger but he is impressive in the lower half with tree trunk legs and a wide pelvis: good for using legs in tackles and for rucking dominance, and also serving well in having a low centre of gravity to break tackles, and other good stuff.

And I noticed that Fisher had him scrummaging on the tight-head side.

A good effort from the young bloke and I hope that the Brumbies release him for the Under 20s this year. His absence will be devastating because he just the kind of abrasive, playing a hard game player that the U20s are light on, as they are most years.

I mention that because the Reds withheld CFS last year and he wasn't considered for the initial squad. If I recall correctly, he got injured later and wouldn't have gone anyway, so it didn't matter.

Staniforth is already selected; so fingers-crossed that he is able to represent his country.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There is no point talking about individual decisions on here, as every non-red supporter is enjoying the Reds demise. Saying things like, Quirk should have gone too, and Moore was in his rights are just not in line with the game of rugby. Very disappointing.

I'm not sure about non Reds supporters enjoying their demise. Thankfully the game in Australia is now bigger than the NSW/Qld thing and there is healthy rivalry between all 5 sides. Personally, I couldn't have cared less who won last night, I enjoyed the game though and still would have enjoyed it had the Reds pulled off a late win.

You're right about the Quirk/Moore thing to the extent that no way should Quirk have been carded, while Moore was lucky not to. Maybe he got the better of a 50/50 call.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The first ref to send off both the holder/niggler and the retaliator will earn my undying respect. He'll probably get shit-canned but he will have struck the first decent blow to stop this negative play becoming standard procedure with all teams.

I agree that the refs should be penalising the holder/niggler, but it shouldn't be a card unless it is preventing a try or there have been previous penalties by the team or the individual.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Thought Quirk played well.

I didn't say that I repeated what walsh said which was he'd have too send both and would rather send either.

in my opinion there's no point discussing them as ever Reds supporter feel hard done by and the worlds against them.. see gross generalization dont work. But hey lets not discusd it because us fans of other teams are picking on the poor Reds

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He turned 20 today, and he did OK didn't he? The captions had his weight at 106kgs, if I remember correctly, but I doubt that it's correct because he was that weight at school. The Canberra papers mentioned his being 113kgs, and I think that is closer to the mark.

With a bit more upper body work he will be stronger but he is impressive in the lower half with tree trunk legs and a wide pelvis: good for using legs in tackles and for rucking dominance, and also serving well in having a low centre of gravity to break tackles, and other good stuff.

And I noticed that Fisher had him scrummaging on the tight-head side.

A good effort from the young bloke and I hope that the Brumbies release him for the Under 20s this year. His absence will be devastating because he just the kind of abrasive, playing a hard game player that the U20s are light on, as they are most years.

I mention that because the Reds withheld CFS last year and he wasn't considered for the initial squad. If I recall correctly, he got injured later and wouldn't have gone anyway, so it didn't matter.

Staniforth is already selected; so fingers-crossed that he is able to represent his country.
He was fantastic and will only get better

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I agree that the refs should be penalising the holder/niggler, but it shouldn't be a card unless it is preventing a try or there have been previous penalties by the team or the individual.
Walsh said to Horwill its the 3rd time his talked about holding and if he sent Moore he'd send Quirk and that he wanted 15 v 15 on the pitch so let's get on with it

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Did he penalise either of the previous 2 examples of holding?

It's a bit of an escalation to go from quiet word to card. Holding a player back who is not in possession of the ball is a penalty. It needs to be penalised if it is going to be eradicated to any extent. Then go to the card if a penalty hasn't worked.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a curious game wasn't it?

In the first half I was enjoying the hard, intelligent, quick ball play from the Brumbies (with a Wallabies' fan hat on) but wishing they would stuff up their chances like they did next time they played the Tahs (with a Tahs hat on).

They should have been out of sight by oranges with 71% possession and 67% territory, but their errors, often unforced, kept the Reds in the game. Full marks for their sterling defence in keeping the Reds out in the last quarter though.

Then in the second half it was if they had changed jerseys with the Reds. Once more the Brumbies' second half play, or a lot of it, looked bottom of the table stuff.

I empathise with Reds fans in how their season is going because as a Tahs fan I know the feeling every year. You can cop losing the odd close game but not losing so many, even if there good excuses in most of them.

• Moore would have been red carded by 90% of European referees I reckon. He was lucky to get the quixotic Walsh deciding his fate.

He is fortunate that he didn't have Mike Fraser to decide. Fraser yellow carded Dave Dennis two weeks ago for shoving, of all people, Bismark du Plessis (Mr. Goodie Two Shoes - not).

The trouble for Quirk and the Reds is that the SANZAR referees have been talking about playing off the ball matters recently and the profile of such stuff is over-shadowing more significant items such as scoring tries.

Nice dive over the ruck by Quirk incidentally: had there been a Brumbies' defender over where he dived over to he may have been blocked in an attempt to stop Genia.

• But it had to be Mad Eddie Quirk doing it to Mad "Squeaky" Moore, and Moore responding. If you picked which two blokes would do what to whom, even with the roles reversed, you would have picked those two.

There's a message there coaches.

• I thought that Chris Feauai-Sautia had a cracking game when he got chances: showing his skier's balance in eluding people, and that Nic White has to be pushing Will Genia very hard for the starting Wallabies' scrummie spot.

The only thing negating that at the minute is that you don't want to discard all that test experience that Will has.

Could that opinion change by the time the test team is selected? Hell, yes: Will is a champion.

• Oddly (for me at least) Ben Alexander is looking more and more like a real THP and the best he looked last night was when he was resting on the bench and watching his replacements.

A mixed bag for both teams then, but winners are grinners, especially when they do it away from home.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Did he penalise either of the previous 2 examples of holding?

It's a bit of an escalation to go from quiet word to card. Holding a player back who is not in possession of the ball is a penalty. It needs to be penalised if it is going to be eradicated to any extent. Then go to the card if a penalty hasn't worked.
Im just repeating what Walsh said

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
• I thought that Chris Feauai-Sautia had a cracking game when he got chances: showing his skier's balance in eluding people,
CFS was out played by Tomane and bumped off and turned inside out.. althpugh having the dropies ruin a great game for him

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You must be joking.

If you are going to send Quirk off for that and consistently rule that way for ruck infringements that try to get one team the upper hand we will be watching 3 vs 3 by the end of the game.

Yeah, I just hate the "niggle" when the niggler/agent provocator gets way with it and the retaliator ends up binned.

By contrast it is very very rare that an obvious punch like Moore's goes unpunished. What would have happened if Ant Fa'aingaa retaliated and punched Moore? Would we expect him to remain on the field.
Bin both as far as I care

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)

(c) Placing a hand on another player in the ruck does not constitute binding.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=16.2

If you look at the video for that entry the rule was designed for defenders trying to sneak into an offside position. Moore could have been done for incorrect binding though.

(b) A player joining a ruck must bind on a team-mate or an opponent, using the whole arm. The bind must either precede, or be simultaneous with, contact with any other part of the body of the player joining the ruck.

T

tranquility

Well if the Reds suck, and surely they do, then the Brumbies can't win it this year based on last night.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Brumbies really need to sort out their second half fading, can see it really hurting us at the business end of the season. We also need to tidy our game, still way too many mistakes more something you would expect in round 1.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
But the ref is already playing penalty advantage to you in a much better position than 1m in from the touchline. (Which he correctly went back to)

Yes, just pointing out an infraction that preceded Quirks and was pretty cynical.

So I wonder - if one of the reds had punched Tomane because he was killing the ball - would they have have received a yellow card or would it have been ok because of what Tomane was doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom