• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tin Ears in afrikaans = BlikOre = Cauliflower Ears in rugby terms. They produced some fattie (props) legends in the good old days and thats where the name come from.
Sorry a tramped condense milk tin (their supporters actually wear them around their heads tied) look like a cauli ear.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Better get Higgers relocated in tight if they can. And get Houston there too. The Cheetahs targeted one off Tah runners and turned them over almost at will, so you need a buddy running on the hip in attack with 2 more close behind. If the Reds can nullify the Cheetahs breakdown work, they should have more than enough firepower to beat them with ball in hand, especially if it isn't wet.
I would not be surprised to see a reasonably large margin to the Reds to be honest. Big chance for Higgers especially to show he can play it tough and tighter.

Wrong thread I know but I distinctly remember in round 1 & 2 that this buddy running was a feature of the Tah game.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Has Link announced his team yet? Can't help but think that my earlier observation won't be too short of the mark.

If both Horwill and Schatz are fit this week, the forward selections will be interesting. Liked Samo off the bench last week and reckon he should stay put. Hopefully Horwill plays at lock, so maybe AWH and Samo on the bench and one of the young tyro's to have a break this week?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
It will be interesting to see the dynamic when Horwill returns as captain. I think Genia has lifted his performance with the extra responsibility. Hopefully he doesn't revert to Meerkat status on Saturday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tin Ear team
Riaan Viljoen, Philip Snyman, Robert Ebersohn, Corné Uys, Wilmaure Louw, Sias Ebersohn, Tewis de Bruyn, Ashley Johnson, Philip van der Walt, Heinrich Brüssow, Wilhelm Steenkamp (k), Martin Muller, WP Nel, Ryno Barnes, Coenie Oosthuizen.

PLAASVERVANGERS: Skipper Badenhorst, Lourens Adriaanse, Francois Uys, Kabamba Floors, Sarel Pretorius, Naas Olivier, Fabian Juries.

Juries paid the price for his defensive effort against the Tahs and Uys (who played for the Stormers a few seasons ago) in the injured Strauss place. The star of the Tah show, Sarel Pretorius still on the bench because of rotation policy. Good to see the x Paarl Gym and Matie capt fattie, Lourens Adriaanse on the bench. Lourens is the younger brother of Jacobie who plays Vodacom for the Lions.

T

TOCC

Steenkamp is out injured from the front row, good thing for the Reds

T

Tank

Reds announced - Horwill back in. No other changes to the starting 15. Schatz on to the bench with W-H. Quirk and Gill drop out.

From 15
Lucas, Ioane, Tapuai, A Fainga'a, Davies, Cooper, Genia, Houston, Robinson, Higginbotham, Horwill (c), Simmons, Slipper, S Fainga'a, Daley

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I wasn't too far away although I am surprised that both Quirk and Gill have been dropped out of the 22. Schatz must be the back up openside, and he definitely needs game time before the SA tour.

Good to see that there hasn't been too much tinkering with the side that won by lots last week. Tapuai needs to make every post a winner this weekend.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I know Taps was quite average vs the Rebels, but he didn't do anything god-awful or have any ridiculous brainsnaps. I'm happy for him to have another chance as he has the talent for sure...but again I just don't know about it being at 13.

I noticed the reshuffling in the Reds game when various people came on and off has Taps, Fainga'a and Ioane all playing 13 at some point.

T

TOCC

pretty impressive that the Reds have over 150 super rugby caps of experience sitting on the bench for the forwards.
That sort of statistic has been missing for the Reds in previous seasons.

T

TheTruth

I wasn't too far away although I am surprised that both Quirk and Gill have been dropped out of the 22. Schatz must be the back up openside, and he definitely needs game time before the SA tour.

Good to see that there hasn't been too much tinkering with the side that won by lots last week. Tapuai needs to make every post a winner this weekend.

Good side and great for Schatzy but disappointing for Gill and Quirk - probably means they may not be off to the Republic - happy to see Taps get another crack

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think people have been a bit harsh on Taps. While he didn't do anything spectacular the other night he didn't get many chances. I think he deserves another go but like many here think he would be better at 12.

Great to get Kev back but it is harsh on AWH. He was great for the Reds last weekend and really put the Rebels on the back foot by stealing quite a few lineouts. Thought he was close to best on ground.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I think people have been a bit harsh on Taps. While he didn't do anything spectacular the other night he didn't get many chances. I think he deserves another go but like many here think he would be better at 12.

Great to get Kev back but it is harsh on AWH. He was great for the Reds last weekend and really put the Rebels on the back foot by stealing quite a few lineouts. Thought he was close to best on ground.

Not sure that anyone has been too harsh on Taps. He was played out of position and at times that looked pretty evident. Most of us are hoping he has a blinder at 13, or else gets time at 12 to show his skills off to best advantage.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Good side and great for Schatzy but disappointing for Gill and Quirk - probably means they may not be off to the Republic - happy to see Taps get another crack

They take 26 on tour don't they? That would more than likely the 22 playing on Saturday plus four others. Gill and Quirk would both be a big chance to be in the 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.