• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Cheetahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leftside

playing in 32+ degree heat and playing against one of the best fetchers in the world in brussow, i have a horrific feeling that this might be all too big a task for robinson on his own - even as the good player he is...dropping gill could turn out to be a brain snap for mckenzie, as they will need a fetcher on the field for the whole 80mins and the only one the reds have is robinson.

do you think ewen saw brussow single-handedly destroy the waratahs last week? big call, very big call...i hope ewen can prove to me that this is the correct decision..

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
playing in 32+ degree heat and playing against one of the best fetchers in the world in brussow, i have a horrific feeling that this might be all too big a task for robinson on his own - even as the good player he is...dropping gill could turn out to be a brain snap for mckenzie, as they will need a fetcher on the field for the whole 80mins and the only one the reds have is robinson.

do you think ewen saw brussow single-handedly destroy the waratahs last week? big call, very big call...i hope ewen can prove to me that this is the correct decision..

If you listen to the audio on the blog post, The second last question is me asking almost the same thing. Link answers one player can't combat him alone, it is a team effort and that is what they are training for.

And the fetcher role is mainly for earning turn over ball, the whole team can protect the space over and beyond the ball and combat brussow.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is the subs bench: Hanson, Holmes, AWH, Shatz, Harris, Morahan, Chambers; or are they going the 5:2 with samo in for chambers?

Dont like the look of that team, I would have left Gill on the bench to run a muck in the last 25 minutes. In regards to tapuai, I wish him all the best and hope he can prove himself as 13 this weekend, however if not I really hope link doesn't do what he did last season with Brando Va'alu, and keep player a player who is obviously not upto the standard just because the teams winning.

Also looking forward to seeing the reserve backs get a bit of game time.

L

leftside

If you listen to the audio on the blog post, The second last question is me asking almost the same thing. Link answers one player can't combat him alone, it is a team effort and that is what they are training for.

And the fetcher role is mainly for earning turn over ball, the whole team can protect the space over and beyond the ball and combat brussow.

even so, they might struggle to get the quick ruck ball that they need

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
even so, they might struggle to get the quick ruck ball that they need

I wouldn't think so. Ive Higgers actually plays a tight game this weekend instead of diverting his effort into broken play we'll have the extra speed to the breakdown.

Kev and Simmo aren't slow old locks either, they both should be aiming to be at every other ruck when we have the pill.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
With the expected heat I am getting worried about the next game, last time the Reds lost something like 50kg in sweat and then lost. I dont think this game in the heat is going to help recovery for the following game. Will they have drinks breaks? What is the temp cut off for this rule?

T

TOCC

Shatz can also play open side to a certain degree as well, so it's not like there is no support on the bench for Robinson.
You can't allow the opposition to dictate your game plan.

He plays for the Bulls. You know, the other Dutchmen further up north.

But I am sure the Reds are happy anyway :)

Yeah my bad, confused myself with the other steenkamp playing lock I think..

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
He plays for the Bulls. You know, the other Dutchmen further up north.

But I am sure the Reds are happy anyway :)
Interesting is that all three Steenkamps, Guthro (Brutes), Wilhelm, Tin Ear captain and his younger boet de Kock (Stormers lock) are Paarl Boyshaaiers. Guthros mum is a teacher at Klein Nederburg and the other two come from a Karroo farm, Carnarvon/Williston district.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Remembering a few years ago when the Cheetahs played a Link coached Tah team on a hot Sydney evening, they were diving all over the place. It was orchestrated. The game ran over and I think it was a Force game over in PErth, the broadcasters were 10 minutes late for.

I wonder if they'll do the same? Slow the game down hugely? It may not be pretty.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't know why all the talk is about the heat, I know it's been hot & humid all week but there are showers & 28 degrees forecast for Saturday. Shouldn't be a problem if thats the case.

I hope so, because the heat ruined the force game. No one wanted to play rugby and the crowd didn't want to sit there and watch no one playing rugby. Only good thing about that game was the result.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Is the subs bench: Hanson, Holmes, AWH, Shatz, Harris, Morahan, Chambers; or are they going the 5:2 with samo in for chambers?Dont like the look of that team, I would have left Gill on the bench to run a muck in the last 25 minutes. In regards to tapuai, I wish him all the best and hope he can prove himself as 13 this weekend, however if not I really hope link doesn't do what he did last season with Brando Va'alu, and keep player a player who is obviously not upto the standard just because the teams winning.

Also looking forward to seeing the reserve backs get a bit of game time.
the bolded bit. Chambers not in the 22 again. I wonder whether he is being tempted to return to the dark side?

My take on Vaalu's inclusion last season was that he was QC (Quade Cooper)'s defence proxy, a role that has been assumed by Ben Lucas this year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I hope so, because the heat ruined the force game. No one wanted to play rugby and the crowd didn't want to sit there and watch no one playing rugby. Only good thing about that game was the result.

I'm going tomorrow and the one thing I am dreading is feeling as uncomfortably hot as I did during that Force game. Ridiculous game scheduling!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Remembering a few years ago when the Cheetahs played a Link coached Tah team on a hot Sydney evening, they were diving all over the place. It was orchestrated. The game ran over and I think it was a Force game over in PErth, the broadcasters were 10 minutes late for.

I wonder if they'll do the same? Slow the game down hugely? It may not be pretty.

Depends on the coach. I believe that was a Rassie Erasmus planned move, so we'll see if a different Cheetahs coach takes the same option.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The game was scheduled early to give the Reds more time to get home and have a good night's sleep before jumping on the plane to South Africa.

Sadly the benefits from this may be outweighed by the draining effects of the heat but if the current forecast of 28c and a shower or two holds up, then it's win/win for the Reds as the conditions will be manageable. Obviously a cool change is predicted to come through at some stage tonight. Even without the heat, I'm still taking Reds by 13+ at the TAB.

Forecast for Friday
Fine. Mostly light W to SW winds with afternoon NE seabreezes.

Precis: Fine City: Max 31 Bayside: Max 30UV Alert from 8:30 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Saturday A shower or two. Min 19 Max 28

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Geez, the heat really won't be that bad for christ sake. These guys live in Brisbane and usually train at the time the game is being played. As for recovery? Have a shower, drink some water, eat some food have a rest, it's not fucking rocket science. No way will the game affect the Reds the following week, to suggest it will is rubbish.

Gill is not on the bench because Samo offers a much greater impact and experience at the tail end of a game. Good to see Link is backing Robinson to do the job, and so he should.

Reds to win this game very easily.

T

TOCC

Link needs to give all his players decent game time before he hits the republic as well, i tend to think people read to much into the bench, its more or less just a rotational policy at times

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Geez, the heat really won't be that bad for christ sake.

You should try being in the stands Reddy, it's like a frigging sauna. Does anyone know whether you can view the game properly from the Rugby Club at Suncorp? Am a member but have never used that facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.