• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rnd 17: Reds v Blues

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Really. There’s better 10’s running around in premier grade at the moment. I’m more interested to see what they do with the 9’s. Sorovi and Tuttle on the outer. Tuttle won’t play for reds again and sorovi will struggle to get a run in his last year. I’d say BT will elevate SM and abolish MS back to club next year. Good old BT looking after his own.

Id like to see Lucas/Gordon start to come through, McGahan hasnt shown a whole heap at 10.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll take the win even if extremely lucky. As I said last week this team never gives up, they showed it again last night.

Prefer Hegarty back at 10 and Stewart fullback next week, massive game pride on the line.

Think Moses was super sharp and deserves to start if Tate is still injured.

Breakaways again tackled their arses off, got through mountains of work and a crucial forced penalty turn over won yet again by Liam Wright with minutes to go and Auckland threatening, what a season he is having. An openside's openside.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I'll take the win even if extremely lucky. As I said last week this team never gives up, they showed it again last night.

Prefer Hegarty back at 10 and Stewart fullback next week, massive game pride on the line.

Think Moses was super sharp and deserves to start if Tate is still injured.

Breakaways again tackled their arses off, got through mountains of work and a crucial forced penalty turn over won yet again by Liam Wright with minutes to go and Auckland threatening, what a season he is having. An openside's openside.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the backrow. Fraser is looking very good, i personally think a back row of Wright at 6, McReight 7 and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 8 is a shout.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just watching the end of the replay - the Reds lucky not to have a penalty against them right in front of the sticks in the 74th minute...........

BPA legally pilfers the ball, the Blues attempt to pilfer it back.......... BPA holding on, Tupou comes in clearly from the side (in front of the referee), and then the Blues come in from the side and get penalised.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, but this is rugby and I can list off 4-5 ref errors that went in the favour of the Blues. It goes both ways.

The Red’s got the win and that’s all it will say in the papers.

B

Bobby Sands

Just watching the end of the replay - the Reds lucky not to have a penalty against them right in front of the sticks in the 74th minute.....

BPA legally pilfers the ball, the Blues attempt to pilfer it back.... BPA holding on, Tupou comes in clearly from the side (in front of the referee), and then the Blues come in from the side and get penalised.

Did this anger you greatly?

B

Bobby Sands

Will be interesting to see what they do with the backrow. Fraser is looking very good, i personally think a back row of Wright at 6, McReight 7 and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at 8 is a shout.

Yep, that is my feeling too.

But Harry Wilson will be in this pack one way or another, and I think he will ultimately play where he wants to.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, but this is rugby and I can list off 4-5 ref errors that went in the favour of the Blues. It goes both ways.

The Red’s got the win and that’s all it will say in the papers.

Agreed, Pickerell was very inconsistent around the breakdown for both sides. Refereeing has been better this year for the most part but these last few weeks it has gone down hill a bit.

B

Bobby Sands

Not at all, why would it?

Because you watched the replay, and then made the comment (in a Reds thread) that we were lucky because of an arbitrary infringement that may have happened in a ruck 6 minutes from time.

I could only assume that was to dilute from our much needed win.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yep, that is my feeling too.

But Harry Wilson will be in this pack one way or another, and I think he will ultimately play where he wants to.
All these guys look like very good youngsters and it is a great to see them coming through.

But this reminds me a bit of all the talk of guys like CFS, Toua, Quirk, JJ Taulagi, Browning and no doubt quite a few others. All of whom are good players and whom have achieved plenty - but were hyped to various degrees and failed to match the hype.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because you watched the replay, and then made the comment (in a Reds thread) that we were lucky because of an arbitrary infringement that may have happened in a ruck 6 minutes from time.

I could only assume that was to dilute from our much needed win.

No, it was just an observation of what might've been a game changing call at a crucial time in the match..........

Nothing more, nothing less......... don't go jumping at shadows.

I'm sure Dismal was filthy though.........

B

Bobby Sands

All these guys look like very good youngsters and it is a great to see them coming through.

But this reminds me a bit of all the talk of guys like CFS, Toua, Quirk, JJ Taulagi, Browning and no doubt quite a few others. All of whom are good players and whom have achieved plenty - but were hyped to various degrees and failed to match the hype.

Absolutely.

But above ability, Wilson seems to have the mentality ironically much like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) dad did!

Anyway, great problems to have.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

reminds me of Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Hocking, Valetini, Blythe, Swinton, McDermott, Petaia etc etc who were hyped to various degrees but succeded in performing at the higher level

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Haha - touché Reg. Fair enough. And I have been guilt my of hyping a few of the youngsters myself.

Sorry - didn’t mean to burst anyone’s bubble. It is nice to read some positivity.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've been keeping a close eye on Liam Wright these last few weeks--given all the hype Bobby Sands was giving him--and have been very impressed. Another 7 rolls off the production line.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just watching the end of the replay - the Reds lucky not to have a penalty against them right in front of the sticks in the 74th minute.....

BPA legally pilfers the ball, the Blues attempt to pilfer it back.... BPA holding on, Tupou comes in clearly from the side (in front of the referee), and then the Blues come in from the side and get penalised.
Shut up Slim!