• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Quotes of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I need to restrain myself a bit because there is a massive diatribe just under the surface waiting to come out.

But I have two points about what Ben said:

1) If we are limited to being able to criticise something that we only have first hand experience with, then the debate process will become redundant and things like political elections may as well be carried out via coin toss. In a rugby context, I am not good enough to be a Wallaby, nor even a bench player in the Wangaratta 4th XV, but I know when a player does something dumb. Just because I am not good enough to even do the dumb stuff does not prevent me from commentating on those that are.

2) As a (nominal) contributor to the salaries of rugby players on ARU top-ups, I reserve the right to praise or criticise as I see fit. That may be done either constructively, or in the heat of emotion, semi-abusively. Depends on my mood. Either way, if you accept the praise, you better be prepared to accept the criticism.

I need a cold shower, so I'll see myself out.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@daz I saw your interactions with Ben. Totally agree. I would add, however, that basing my judgement on his Twitter feed, not having the chance to joust verbally with him directly, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying.
Very good player, not one of rugby's great philosophers, although his Aldi comeback was OK!

Reactions: daz
D

daz

Most of his tweets have an over-abundance of vowels. Like "Wayyyyyiiiiyyyyy Budeeeeeeee!!" and so on.

Be a real shame if each person is allocated only a finite number of vowels in their lifetime.

There could be a whole generation of future pensioners that can only communicate with a combination of letters numbers and consonants.

Fck1ng k1ds, m8.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be a real shame if each person is allocated only a finite number of vowels in their lifetime.

<snip>

There are some who would say that many Central and Eastern European countries operate on a limited number of vowels.

Washington - (AP) BUSH DEPLOYS VOWELS TO BOSNIA
Cities of Sjlbvdnzv, Grzny to Be First Recipients.
Before an emergency joint session of Congress yesterday, President Bush announced US plans to deploy over 75,000 vowels to the war-torn region of Bosnia. The deployment, the largest of its kind in American history, will provide the region with the critically needed letters A,E,I,O and U, and is hoped to render countless Bosnian names more pronounceable.
"For six years, we have stood by while names like Ygrjvslhv and Tzlynhr and Glrm have been horribly butchered by millions around the world," Bush said. "Today, the United States must finally stand up and say `Enough.' It is time the people of Bosnia finally had some vowels in their incomprehensible words. The US is proud to lead the crusade in this noble endeavour."
The deployment, dubbed Operation Vowel Movement by the State Department, is set for early next week, with the Adriatic port cities of Sjlbvdnzv and Grzny slated to be the first recipients. Two C-130 transport planes, each carrying over 500 24-count boxes of "E's," will fly from Andrews Air Force Base across the Atlantic and airdrop the letters over the cities.
Citizens of Grzny and Sjlbvdnzv eagerly await the arrival of the vowels.
"I do not think we can last another day," Trszg Grzdnjkln, 44, said. "I have six children and none of them has a name that is understandable to me or to anyone else. Mr. Bush, please send my poor, wretched family just one 'E' Please."
Said Sjlbvdnzv resident Grg Hmphrs, 67: "With just a few key letters, I could be George Humphries. This is my dream."
The airdrop represents the largest deployment of any letter to a foreign country since 1984. During the summer of that year, the US shipped 92,000 consonants to Ethiopia, providing cities like Ouaouoaua, Eaoiiuae, and Aao with vital, life-giving supplies of L's, S's and T's.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

There could be a whole generation of future pensioners that can only communicate with a combination of letters and consonants.

Fck1ng k1ds, m8.

Like.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

There could be a whole generation of future pensioners that can only communicate with a combination of letters and consonants.

Fck1ng k1ds, m8.
Or indeed consonants and numbers? :p

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
50 minutes in. NZL v IRE. NZL have just been denied a try by the TMO.

Sir Ruchie GOAT is heard on the referee's microphone "That's a tough call, ref"

Nigel Owens replied "They're all tough, Richie"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Still laughing about this one.

Tom English on the Rugby HQ (AKA The Rugby Club) tonight, in answer to the question did they take the Force lightly:

"We were a bit laxative last week".

I reckon plenty of Rebels supporters probably think that their performance last week game them the sh!ts as well as any laxative.

Showing the benefits of a Private School Education, or just caught like a rabbit in the headlights on National TV.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Still laughing about this one.

Tom English on the Rugby HQ (AKA The Rugby Club) tonight, in answer to the question did they take the Force lightly:

"We were a bit laxative last week".

I reckon plenty of Rebels supporters probably think that their performance last week game them the sh!ts as well as any laxative.

Showing the benefits of a Private School Education, or just caught like a rabbit in the headlights on National TV.

Ha! I heard it to and waiting to see if Nick was going to pick up on it. Lackadaisical was the word I thought he was trying to say.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He did say that as a young player he was looking to leave his mark on the Super Rugby competition.

I guess the laxatives help with that.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ha! I heard it to and waiting to see if Nick was going to pick up on it. Lackadaisical was the word I thought he was trying to say.

Absolutely. Probably the first time he has been interviewed "properly" on the TV and looked pretty nervous. He was just wanting to sound knowledgeable and it just didn't quite come out right.

Exact quote was:
N. McArdle: Tom English, thanks very much for joining us on Rugby HQ. In hindsight with all those changes last week and now of course returning to that succesful formula this week, did the Rebels take the Force a bit lightly last weekend?

T. English. Yeah mate, ahh you could almost say that, you know, that I think um we came over there and were a bit ahhh, we were a bit laxative, you know we trained a couple of days before and......

Status
Not open for further replies.