• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The main question is what can we do as a sport to improve TV ratings, which have been slipping this year and seem to be on a dangerous downward trajectory compared to other sports?

Go well in the RWC. The success of the Wallabies goes a long way to dictating the level of interest of casual fans.

The Reds being more successful again should also help. TV audiences in Qld will decline both for Reds games and other Super Rugby games when they're not doing well.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I kept a log of the ratings data posted here each week. If you'd like to know anything in particular let me know and I can see what I can do. For starters, here's a few bits of info. (For Foxsports only)

Average rating - 58k
Australian games - 63k
New Zealand games - 51k

Average rating for Australian team's home games
v Au teams - 68k
v NZ teams - 52k
v SA teams - 47k

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think we need far more than that. Real structural change in the game.

Relying on the spasmodic exploits of the national team is too hit and miss as recent experience shows.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Average Away Team rating

Cheetahs
Lions
Bulls
Highlanders
Blues
Hurricanes
Chiefs
Stormers
Rebels
Sharks
Crusaders
Brumbies
Force
Reds
Waratahs
Grand Total

T

TOCC

Popular spectator sports and popular sports for participation are very often different.

Fishing would be close to Australia's biggest participation sport. I don't see it pulling in heaps of TV viewers.

Deadliest Catch gets good ratings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we need far more than that. Real structural change in the game.

Relying on the spasmodic exploits of the national team is too hit and miss as recent experience shows.

What are your ideas?

Australian rugby isn't really in a position financially to back out of their current arrangements and go it alone in an environment where rugby isn't particularly popular.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I kept a log of the ratings data posted here each week. If you'd like to know anything in particular let me know and I can see what I can do. For starters, here's a few bits of info. (For Foxsports only)

Average rating - 58k
Australian games - 63k
New Zealand games - 51k

v Au teams - 68k
v NZ teams - 52k
v SA teams - 47k

Is this all the data because some weeks it seems not all matches are posted...

BTW great work ..

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is this all the data because some weeks it seems not all matches are posted.

BTW great work ..
Every game that cracks the top 20 games is there (which is all but a few early kiwi games I think).

@mediaweekaus has every game even if they don't get posted here

I excluded all SA home games

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports SF2 #HURvBRU 123k http://t.co/kV5LbDWuVV

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports SF1 #WARvHIG 174k http://t.co/YaF2GbzBTB

Not too shabby but the downward trend continues.
Corresponding games last year were 132k and 248k but there were two Aussie teams playing in the later game

Reds v Blues did 265k back in 2011

A-League semis this year -> 143+121 = 264k total & 171 + 100 = 271 Total (SBS + Fox)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The trend is what counts.

Down, down, down. I bet whoever put the latest Fox Sports deal together is getting ready for the chop.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Average rating - 58k
Australian games - 63k
New Zealand games - 51k

v Au teams - 68k
v NZ teams - 52k
v SA teams - 47k

SC - would love to either use your data on the front page for a post, or have you write it.

Would need to make the trend clear and refer to some previous year data though.

Interested?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Gagger & Strewthecobber

I would like to see if possible the ratings from all the super years and total number of games each year. Just for the Super matches. Especially the Australian ratings.

The National team as a separate list.

My gut tells me we peeked 2006 to 2011 however with no hard data its all guesses. For all we know we may not have a problem and then we may have a huge problem but we don't have the data to analyse.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gagger & Strewthecobber

I would like to see if possible the ratings from all the super years and total number of games each year. Just for the Super matches. Especially the Australian ratings.

My gut tells me we peeked 2006 to 2011 however with no hard data its all guesses. For all we know we may not have a problem and then we may have a huge problem but we don't have the data to analyse.

I'd like to see that too!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Gagger & Strewthecobber

I don't think even foxtel knew what their ratings were before the late 00s. In any case I'm pretty sure its not publicly available.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
So how far can we go back to look at something like this...

Year / Games Played/ Aust Ratings / add whatever else may be interesting

as an example

00 ..... 120 ..... 100k
01 ..... 120 .... 101 k
02 ...... 125 .... 99 K

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So how far can we go back to look at something like this.

Year / Games Played/ Aust Ratings / add whatever else may be interesting

as an example

00 ... 120 ... 100k
01 ... 120 .. 101 k
02 .. 125 .. 99 K
f you want to trawl through the TVtonight TV blog rating archive you could probably get a pretty good idea from around 2011 onwards, maybe oztam have some of the earlier stuff, but it's a pretty massive job......Not something I'm going to volunteer for

I only have this year's data

Status
Not open for further replies.