• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If the
f you want to trawl through the
TVtonight TV blog rating archive you could probably get a pretty good idea from around 2011 onwards, maybe oztam have some of the earlier stuff, but it's a pretty massive job..Not something I'm going to volunteer for

I only have this year's data
If the compilation of the above data was possible, even for a lesser period, the icing on the cake for this exercise for me would be to also be able to see crowd attendance at the Australian games, and with full (as good as it gets) data, we would have a fairly good representation of eyeballs and bums; a total number.

It would be then really interesting to overlay the "known" marketing strategies and momentum marketing: for example, Folau period in the game and the return on investment; and if the Tah finals win provided benefit; and has this made any impact on numbers with other teams; if derby matches draw the $$ etc.

It may give an indication if the marketing is actually evidenced based or internal marketing and if its working to either consolidate or grow the game nationally.

The trends a worry and it may it suggest that the ARU (in partnership each union?) may be best served with thinking about expanding to deliver content on-line or similar media platforms (to the on-demand netflix type crowd etc) even if its a short term venture with a view to selling it off to say Foxtel once established etc.

Big piece of work that is beyond me but it would be fantastic to have it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just compare the Foxtel figures at the very beginning of this thread (link below - re the early rounds of the 2014 S15) with Foxtel viewership figures for this year.

Compare the Reds early round S15 2014 Foxtel figures with those of this year, for example. And then Reds v Tahs, etc.

I think we can safely say that a downward trend - and a serious one - is confirmed just by this simple comparison 2014 v 2015.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/super-rugby-television-ratings-2014.13891/

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ratings for the final should be interesting with no NRL competing with it. Can't remember that happening before.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe this says more about us. I looked to see how hard it was to get crowd and ratings details for the other codes and you can find it.

What I have linked below took less than half an hour and all done by fans. By me a google nerd says more about us I think. If Football has had a growth spurt as some suggest their is a unbelievable amount of info about the A-League.

I feel sad actually

Just some examples

RL crowds scores like for years
http://afltables.com/rl/rl_index.html

RL crowds and ratings recent
http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=767

AFL crowds scores like for years

http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html

AFL crowds and Ratings recent

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=672

A-League Crowds and stats

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=pg

A-League has a site called 442 each year they have huge amount of stats I could not believe the detail and number of posts and they also run a crowd thread and a membership thread.

442 ratings ... http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=86368

crowds ... http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=103030

memberships .. http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=103028

Another crowds and ratings page and again goes back a few seasons

http://footyindustry.com/files/ffa/media/tvratings/2015/2015HALRatings.png

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe this says more about us. I looked to see how hard it was to get crowd and ratings details for the other codes and you can find it.

What I have linked below took less than half an hour and all done by fans. By me a google nerd says more about us I think. If Football has had a growth spurt as some suggest their is a unbelievable amount of info about the A-League.

I feel sad actually

It a very easy mistake to market internally as its all a great idea, well supported and is popular.

I think you have just had the same revelation I had not long ago. Soccer went through this pre A league where the establishment knew all and best always, and they drove it over the cliff in blind arrogance, (cultural) traditions and hanging on to history in the end. Turns out it was the best thing that happened as soon as they got them out the door, got rid of the institutionalised thinking, smashing the old mould and started again it grew quickly and with strength!

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
So the netball final did still out rate the rugby final when free to air and pay are considered. That is dire. I am depressed.

T

TOCC

If you want to identify trends you need to look back further then 2011/2012.

2011 Super Rugby ratings in Australia experienced a massive 43% increase on 2010, in 2012 there was a 10% drop from 2011.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
TOCC

What has changed in such a short time. Maybe mst is on to something.

From April 2011

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...oss-all-boarders/story-e6frexni-1226047169688

SUPER Rugby is enjoying a bumper season of ratings in 2011, and Australian rugby bosses believe the audiences are set to grow further as a result of the AFL securing a new billion-dollar TV rights deal.
The new Super Rugby competition has clearly struck a chord with fans, with ARU figures claiming both TV ratings and crowd numbers this year are up significantly from the same point in 2010.
Delegates attending the Australian Rugby Union's annual general meeting yesterday were informed the average crowd in Australia had risen 18 per cent (from 17,201 to 19,140) and national TV ratings are up 34 per cent.
Research also shows the average audience for Australian local derby matches is higher than the most watched game in Australia last year.
As with last year, the exciting Queensland Reds are the most watched side of all five Aussie teams.
The AFL's huge new TV deal may not have helped the NRL's rights dealings but rugby officials believe it will see rugby viewership grow off the back of more pay-TV penetration into Melbourne.
The Victorian take-up of pay-TV lags well behind NSW and Queensland, but it is believed with Fox to show seven lives AFL games every week, subscriptions will grow and more people exposed to rugby.
Already the Rebels have proved very popular in Melbourne, with an average crowd of 20,000 at home games in their first season.
The ARU yesterday reported a surplus of $1.07 million for 2010 at an AGM that failed to live up to expectations of fireworks. Several member states reportedly entered the AGM keen to learn why the ARU failed to report renumeration figures of the board and CEO John O'Neill in the annual report, but were informed of the size of the pay cheques in a confidential briefing.
ARU chairman Peter McGrath later said the non-discolure of ARU director's renumeration fell into line with common reporting standards of major sporting groups, including NRL, AFL, Cricket Australia and most Australian rugby state unions.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
"ARU chairman Peter McGrath later said the non-discolure of ARU director's renumeration fell into line with common reporting standards of major sporting groups, including NRL, AFL, Cricket Australia and most Australian rugby state unions."

That may be legal/traditional, but is it moral/ethical/transparent?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
"ARU chairman Peter McGrath later said the non-discolure of ARU director's renumeration fell into line with common reporting standards of major sporting groups, including NRL, AFL, Cricket Australia and most Australian rugby state unions."

The game is now professional, and corporate interests and money are, perhaps unfortunately, a very important pillar of the game. As you know, have a good look at the club you support.

To compete successfully, we need the best talent we can find, on, and off, the field. And we need to follow sensible corporate governance practices.

Morals and ethics are personal qualities, nothing to do with corporations, which are governed by law and the market.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

They used to reveal the director's renumeration at the AGM rather than in the Annual report.

In any case, the policy has changed, the director's renumeration is in the Annual report these days.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ratings jumped in 2011 almost entirely due to the Reds - and a lot of that was due to their style of play. There hasn't been a rugby bandwagon that full since the Wallabies were doing well in the late 90's/early 00's. Waratahs last year didn't create as big a buzz.

I think it'd be great in future if there could be an Australian conference final every year. Winners make a Trans Tasman final, winners of that make the Super Rugby final

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The game is now professional, and corporate interests and money are, perhaps unfortunately, a very important pillar of the game. As you know, have a good look at the club you support.

To compete successfully, we need the best talent we can find, on, and off, the field. And we need to follow sensible corporate governance practices.

Morals and ethics are personal qualities, nothing to do with corporations, which are governed by law and the market.

There are entire subjects dedicated to business ethics and morals in most management courses.

Bankers however generally either skip those courses or take the alternative, "how to screw as many people and businesses as possible and get the taxpayer to pick up the tab 101"

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The major problem with comparing ratings over the years is that a) the number of games, and particularly local games has changed and b) the impact of the finals has a pretty major impact on the average

2011 had Super 15 & Reds in the GF - hence the large jump.
2012 reduction could just about be all about the lack of any Australian finals
2013 Again no Au finals, and the brumbies played a couple games in SA
2014 3 finals here meant great overall numbers

As an example, the ratings for the 2014 finals was close to 900k over 4 games - or more than 20% of the total for this year

2015 was only 500k - no GF, no Brum v Tah blockbuster. So it will appear ratings are down 10% in total. Was there any real change?

This context is always what's missing from newspaper reports. Unless they control the numbers they compare (regular season games shown in Australian primetime?) they are often pretty meaningless

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A great pity that so few people watched the GF. The Canes V Clan game was one of the best Rugby matches I've seen in years and could have converted many a fan to our game seeing the great potential of Rugby. Even as a non-partisan observer I found it a riveting spectacle and I think not just because I am a tragic.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A great pity that so few people watched the GF. The Canes V Clan game was one of the best Rugby matches I've seen in years and could have converted many a fan to our game seeing the great potential of Rugby. Even as a non-partisan observer I found it a riveting spectacle and I think not just because I am a tragic.

The Shute Shield game that afternoon was pretty good. Given similar conditions, a decent ground, and professional television standards, it was not all that far behind in terms of attractiveness.

The unfortunate fact of life is that for every wonderful exhibition of quality rugby, there is a game between the Force and the Waratahs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It a very easy mistake to market internally as its all a great idea, well supported and is popular.

I think you have just had the same revelation I had not long ago. Soccer went through this pre A league where the establishment knew all and best always, and they drove it over the cliff in blind arrogance, (cultural) traditions and hanging on to history in the end. Turns out it was the best thing that happened as soon as they got them out the door, got rid of the institutionalised thinking, smashing the old mould and started again it grew quickly and with strength!

As I've said before, the best thing that happened to soccer in this country was going broke and that the ensuing government bailout was conditional on reforming their administratation.

Status
Not open for further replies.