• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Any more or updated figures?

@Strewthcobber / @The_Wookie - where does this one sit? Is this a new low?

I am wondering if anyone will tune in for EOYT game.

Nah - don't think it was too bad. 46k in 2014 was reported.

I wouldn't take too much notice of any of these late night ratings mst. They usually don't get reported, especially the pay TV and the way recordings are captured has changed over the years.

The time the game is on can also affect which day numbers get reported in etc

The other thing to think about - when we get down to these relatively small numbers, even one extra viewer with a box makes a big difference to the rating (~5k I think).

So we are really only talking about around 15 people watching this game

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks Strewcobber.

Not sure if I am getting this right, but does that FTA figure represent a smaller number that were actually at the NRL and AFL GF's (83K & 100k)?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks Strewcobber.

Not sure if I am getting this right, but does that FTA figure represent a smaller number that were actually at the NRL and AFL GF's (83K & 100k)?

An average of 15 people out of the 3500 with an oztam box watched the game live at 1:30am (because the data was for Saturday night - anyone who recorded it would have been captured in Sunday's numbers - which we don't have).

This is converted by the company to a rating of 77k.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It scares me that that I understand that answer and find it straight forward. I have been in Canberra too long!

For clarity, I gather they consider the early AM hours (Sun) in the Saturday night time slot due to the way they split the "segments" for comparison?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NRL GF had 4.2 million viewers, the AFL rated a bit better, apparently.

Depressing, ain't it?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The NRL GF had 4.2 million viewers, the AFL rated a bit better, apparently.

Depressing, ain't it?

Very! What makes it worse is every time I look at that 77K FTA figure my mind jumps to the attendance figures at the AFL and NRL GF; 99.8K and 83K. That's live bodies not TV.

The metrics and correlation may be wrong. but still......:eek:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Very! What makes it worse is every time I look at that 77K FTA figure my mind jumps to the attendance figures at the AFL and NRL GF; 99.8K and 83K. That's live bodies not TV.

The metrics and correlation may be wrong. but still..:eek:

How many of those numbers would likely tune into a Kangaroos match in England being played at 1:30 in the morning? Two major events played in prime time slots aren't an apt comparison.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
How many of those numbers would likely tune into a Kangaroos match in England being played at 1:30 in the morning? Two major events played in prime time slots aren't an apt comparison.
I suppose it depends what they were doing after attending the GF. :p

Thus my comment about the metrics and correlation.

But as you have taken it there I would hazard a guess of more then 77K!

Putting some thought in to it and using the available facts, assuming that probably about 10% (which is probably conservative as England do draw an audience) of those who would tune in to a game v the Kiwis would watch a game against England and watch at 1:30am - about 93K based on recent figures.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I suppose it depends what they were doing after attending the GF. :p

Thus my comment about the metrics and correlation.

But as you have taken it there I would hazard a guess of more then 77K!

Putting some thought in to it and using the available facts, assuming that probably about 10% (which is probably conservative as England do draw an audience) of those who would tune in to a game v the Kiwis would watch a game against England and watch at 1:30am - about 93K based on recent figures.

Are you using the ratings from a domestic test to come up with that figure? Just because that many may tune in for a game against New Zealand when it's at a convenient time slot doesn't mean they will at 1 in the morning.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I could argue that your comments have no relevance to my original post that identified it had no basis in reality, or that a figure of 10% is reasonable, in line with a sample of the past 4 Nations with games in that time zone between the two teams you named and it's unlikely you can provide anything that can challenge my hyperthetical hypotheses but as we are talking bullshit for no reason because of a silly comment I am happy to concede you right. Less mungos would watch a Australia v Eng league game at 1:30am even though every rating figure and analysis I can find indicates otherwise.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I could argue that your comments have no relevance to my original post that identified it had no basis in reality, or that a figure of 10% is reasonable, in line with a sample of the past 4 Nations with games in that time zone between the two teams you named and it's unlikely you can provide anything that can challenge my hyperthetical hypotheses but as we are talking bullshit for no reason because of a silly comment I am happy to concede you right. Less mungos would watch a Australia v Eng league game at 1:30am even though every rating figure and analysis I can find indicates otherwise.

The last figures from the RL 4Ns I could find was 2014. Played in Australia. The final of that tournament drew 697,000 viewers. So using your method that figure would be around 70,000 for a game played at 1:30 in the morning.

Here's an interesting one. The RLWC drew 201,000. The highest rating game in Australia of the entire tournament. But you cannot take WC's as indicative as the RWC final last year peaked at a touch over 1m viewers for its 3 am timeslot.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting that the ABC is advertising that every game in the A-League will be broadcast on their radio app.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bathurst dominated the top 20 on Sunday with lots of different shows so we may not get a rating for the Argentinian test Match. Was less than 48k on Fox (the rating for Sa v Aus cricket match)

Status
Not open for further replies.