• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think a big reason is lack of control. In the NFL or the EPL for example, or even French rugby, the team owners in the league have so much power. The leagues are separate from the sporting governing bodies and they make decisions for the benefit of the league and the teams. On the other hand, with super rugby the ARU and SANZAAR have all the real control, and super rugby is not their top priority.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The School has those assets, not the Old Boys. And those assets were given to Kings in the 1800s, it's not like they purchased them last month

I was not serious, of course, but neither was I talking about the land, but about the improvements (like swimming pools) which surely have been at least partially funded by rich old boys. Surely not by us struggling taxpayers???

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The ARU are trying to milk these fatcats, got something called the 'Friends of Rugby' fund or something. Think that might be the smartest way to do it, a lot of it is on the sly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They are working on building up the Australian Rugby Foundation. They have been courting one of my mates trying to get him involved/contributing.

They had a trip to the US going to watch the Wallabies vs USA which included either a pre-season NFL game or a MLB game or both, function with the Wallabies and a matchday experience for the test.

It was something like $5.5k for the trip and then a $10k donation to the foundation.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Braveheart

I don't have any idea how to make it work, we have 5 super teams and the NRC teams swap a few players and I am sure we could get 8 teams of reasonable standard. But I will give you my back of the hand cals

Let me start by estimating our current revenue is roughly 100 million [media 60 million other 40 million], plus or less the net gate taking at the Super matches so lets say 20 million

To start with play out of ACT, NSW & QLD and use affordable stadiums to keep costs down.

Say 7, 000 crowd average across so roughly 120 games if they play four times each ... meaning 840, 000 thought the gate at say $25.00 per ticket 21 million, National sides 12 games 30 million,

Other revenue

Medial deal Fox / FTA 5 million
Competition sponsors ... across the Competition and 8 teams 10 million
SSO series media deal 5 million
Rugby 7's tournament 5 million

So back of the hand cacls we could get 76 million.

Plus savings on Stadium Costs and Travel and Accommodation big huge guess say 15 million.

Estimated Income + savings is 91 million ..... we get about again my guess 120 million. Say a 30 million dollar drop or 30% drop in income.

Also Increase in revenue per 1, 000 average is $ 3, 000, 000. My 7K average is low if you consider the crowds the Tahs, Reds, Brum, and say a Western Syd side would get

Gain for pain ... be in control with a 5 million dollar media deal and play out of very low cost stadiums.

AS I said I think I am the only person in Australia who thinks this is possible.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
120 games from 8 teams? That's a 30 round competition!

You're going to shut down professional rugby in WA and Victoria and start 5 brand new professional teams?

Your overall player salaries are going to go up substantially by having 8 teams for a competition that is longer than Super Rugby (30 rounds is clearly impossible but even if you did 20 + finals that would be an increase).

I just can't see how it is even close to being feasible and would send the ARU broke within two years. The Wallabies would also plummet quickly which would be detrimental to those earnings.

As Barbarian said, we are wedded to Super Rugby and nothing is going to change there.

The plan has to be to build up the NRC and make it more viable.

We just don't have the supporter base to have our main professional rugby competition being Australian only. We could never generate the income to keep our best players here when we are competing with European and Japanese salaries.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Braveheart

I don't have any idea how to make it work, we have 5 super teams and the NRC teams swap a few players and I am sure we could get 8 teams of reasonable standard. But I will give you my back of the hand cals

Let me start by estimating our current revenue is roughly 100 million [media 60 million other 40 million], plus or less the net gate taking at the Super matches so lets say 110 million

To start with play out of ACT, NSW & QLD and use affordable stadiums to keep costs down.

Say 7, 000 crowd average across so roughly 120 games if they play four times each . meaning 840, 000 thought the gate at say $25.00 per ticket 21 million, National sides 12 games 30 million,

Other revenue

Medial deal Fox / FTA 5 million
Competition sponsors . across the Competition and 8 teams 10 million

So back of the hand cacls we could get 66 million.

Plus savings on Stadium Costs and Travel and Accommodation big huge guess say 15 million.

Estimated Income + savings is 81 million ... we get about again my guess 110 million. Say a 30 million dollar drop or 30% drop in income.

Also Increase in revenue per 1, 000 average is $ 3, 000, 000. My 7K average is low if you consider the crowds the Tahs, Reds, Brum, and say a Western Syd side would get

Gain for pain . be in control with a 5 million dollar media deal and play out of very low cost stadiums.

AS I said I think I am the only person in Australia who thinks this is possible.
I don't think anyone would disagree that it's possible to put out 8 teams

Its who is playing in those teams that would be the problem. Because player salaries are the big cost - and you'd have to dramatically cut them if you're cutting $30m from the budget.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
BreaveHeart and Strewth

Agree with you both in many ways.

My point is very simple. Today or by the next media deal we could I believe have an 8 team competition as I described up and running with a 30% hit to revenue and walking away from Victoria & WA.

From this base build.

Relying on Super Rugby on Fox especially with the issues in SA over player % is pure madness

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Players are your biggest single cost. You can't decrease the revenue and increase the number of players and expect that to work.

For most Super Rugby quality players there is an active world market for their services that sets the sort of salaries we need to pay to be competitive.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For most Super Rugby quality players there is an active world market for their services that sets the sort of salaries we need to pay to be competitive.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Which is yet another factor over which we have no control, and which has the potential to bury us.

The World governing body has to ensure that struggling domestic unions like ours are not raped and pillaged by the fatcats of the North.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Raped and pillaged. Love the sweet smell of hyperbowl and bullshit at tea time.

The States have just set up their own professional league. That's where World Rugby's medium term money is. (With the short term being Europe and the long term being Asia) would be unprofessional and self destructive for them to consider reducing the ability to for domestic sides to recruit foreigners when it could be the key to success there.

Why is it World Rugby's responsibility to bail out a Tier 1, 1st world Nation, who can't offer competitive wages to all but a few players?

In addition, you're going to stop a Bill Meakes or a Dave Porecki or a Brock James from obtaining a professional career because you don't want to lose the Super level and International players ranging from PAE and Hugh Pyle to Ben Mowen and Sekope Kepu.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good post Highlander. I agree that in the long term Asia is a potential commercial rugby powerhouse, and this is where the ARU and SANZAAR have to hitch their wagon. We can't compete with Europe on our own, we need to generate larger and larger global revenues. For that Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship need to continue to expand. I think Asia is the most logical market - at least for Australian and New Zealand rugby.

The medium term future I see is this: A genuine Asian conference in Super Rugby that's part of a larger Asia-Pacific division (the other division being the Atlantic i.e. Africa plus South America, maybe North America as well if Pro Rugby doesn't succeed, or if it does and they fancy a merger). And the Rugby Championships expanded to include Japan, USA and Canada. This, if well executed (enormous if), would substantially increase the size of the pie and we'd have a good cut of it. The more revenue the more money that can go into grassroots development here and perhaps eventually rugby could challenge the other codes in Australia.

International rugby is basically in an arms race at the moment. Either Super Rugby succeeds as a truly global competition and we continue to have world class domestic teams in Australia for the foreseeable future, or it fails and gets gapped even more by the money in European club rugby. If that happens we'll have to give up on having world class domestic teams and fall back to a local league (or Trans Tasman league) that is essentially a feeder to European and other overseas clubs. It'll be like Australian soccer or basketball.

T

TOCC

Why is it World Rugby's responsibility to bail out a Tier 1, 1st world Nation, who can't offer competitive wages to all but a few players?

On the subject of World Rugby, the RWC and governing unions, it's not the job of WR (World Rugby) to bail out countries but it is their job to provide fair and equitable compensation for a) lost revenue and b)revenue generated by their inclusion.

For all this talk about the profits that the RWC makes, what it ignores is that much of this revenue is merely revenue transferred from SANZAAR Nations to World Rugby. Much of the revenue earned by world rugby is revenue lost by SANZAAR countries. By shortening the Rugby Championship and removing inbound tours you remove a product that they can sell, in turn this product is then taken over by World Rugby and sold as the 'RWC'.

It's only fair that there is respectable compensation for this lost revenue, in previous tournaments their hasn't been. World Rugby sets an arbitrary figure prior to each tournament based on demands from governing bodies and I think this issue will only become more contentious in future tournaments as WR (World Rugby) tries to retain as much revenue as possible and we see more 'boycott' threats.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
WR (World Rugby) paid the ARU $19m in 2015 for WC

The ARU lost 5 home tests, 3 spring tests and the extra game they usually play.

Steve Tew has made a few noises that he doesn't think that's a fair tradeoff for NZ at the moment

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The $19m was substantially more than we got in 2011 I believe. I can't remember what that figure was though.

$19m is within the ballpark of replacing the lost revenue. It needs to be remembered that whilst they lose a lot more than $19m in revenue, they also don't have the matchday expenses to deal with.

The gap probably remains in the lost sponsorship considering the RWC jerseys and everything about it is sponsor free as far as each individual country is concerned (World Rugby obviously sell so much sponsorship their sponsors have sponsors).

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wookie

I checked your site it seems you have not undated the last round. Am I right or am I missing something.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wookie

Thanks for that, I had a good look at your site you have an amazing amount of information, across the codes.

Is it a hobby with you or your job because you have as I said some impressive records and in some cases going back years.

Am I correct in assuming you are an AFL fan and if so why the desire to keep such detailed information. Not that I am complaining because I like the Super Rugby information and also able to look at the other codes and compare.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wookie

Just asking on the round 9 spreadsheet you have recorded the Reds game in SA and not recorded the Force V Tahs in Perth.

Because you normally record the home match crowds.

Cheers and again thanks for all your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.