• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Jeez, the highest rating game this round was a Friday 5:30pm game between a kiwi and South African team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jeez, the highest rating game this round was a Friday 5:30pm game between a kiwi and South African team..

That's because our expat Seth Efrican and Keewee population like rugby.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Admittedly there were a few crackers goin on back on Friday, what with Broncos hosting Souths, Hawks and Crows playing a thriller at the G, and the Reds v City semi in Adelaide, but those figures were a bit disappointing all round for the Rebels game.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Rating seem to be holding up with crowds down.

However both figures are greatly affected by home games for the Tahs and Reds, and how they are performing.

Quietly confident crowds will recover. Difficulty with the ratings is not so much they are holding steady more there is little growth.

Nineties

Frank Row (1)
as soon as rugby lost its FTA presence in the mid nineties, grassroots rugby and popularity dropped as league took its place. bring super rugby back with a strong marketing push plus all the other stuff like getting it into public schools in 7 or 15 a side format. it's lost accessibility to the masses

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If FTA wanted to pay enough for it I am sure it would be on FTA. But they don't, other than for internationals, and even then there is legislation which requires FTA coverage.

We are now a niche sport in Australia, and the niche is getting smaller, due to factors largely outside our control.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
as soon as rugby lost its FTA presence in the mid nineties, grassroots rugby and popularity dropped as league took its place. bring super rugby back with a strong marketing push plus all the other stuff like getting it into public schools in 7 or 15 a side format. it's lost accessibility to the masses
For those of us who can't quite remember that far back, what FTA coverage was there back then?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So the best part of sweet fanny adams different from the one Shute game on telly now, except the Reds stream the Brisbane club game instead.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So the best part of sweet fanny adams different from the one Shute game on telly now, except the Reds stream the Brisbane club game instead.
There wasn't 15 Wallaby games a season back then either....

I can remember some Super 10 games on Ten, but there can't have been many

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think ABC covered most of the super rugby in the amatuer days.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Some fairly ugly numbers last night

Chiefs v Sharks - 46k
Force v Bulls - 30k

They really do seem to have abandoned that Friday evening timeslot. Saturday night must be more appealing to someone somewhere.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Some fairly ugly numbers last night

Chiefs v Sharks - 46k
Force v Bulls - 30k

They really do seem to have abandoned that Friday evening timeslot. Saturday night must be more appealing to someone somewhere.

Force v Bulls too late for me.

I was up with my two year old at about 5am so got to half time and was falling asleep.

For the Force to rate they need the east coast 7pm slot but this affects the crowd numbers (last night about 9000).

T

TOCC

Pretty sure that's the third time this season they have played the Force in the Friday night 9:30pm time slot while prime time is sitting empty..

Stupid scheduling, could have played the Force on Saturday at 7:30 and the Reds on Friday at 7:30 and probably received a greater overall rating.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Continuation of Friday night's poor results unfortunately....

Highlanders v Brumbies - 58k
Blues v Rebels - 33k
Reds v Cheetahs - 48k

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wamberal

You come across to me a very level headed poster capable of looking at things especially other codes and putting it into some kind of balance.

I just read an article from the Fin Review and its an interview with Stephen Lowy the chairman of FFA. Reading between the lines he appears to be saying FFA will take a massive cut in the revenue deal for guaranteed exposure on a commercial FTA.

This is the link. http://www.afr.com/business/sport/f...r-coverage-a-must-for-aleague-20160428-gohdw4

Is it to late in your opinion for the ARU to do the same at the next media deal or do you see it as to late and using your words today to much of a niche sport in Australia today. Or maybe we don't need to do it Fox is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.