• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm guessing the new scrum laws will be discussed next week.

They'd have already planned the show before Wednesday night so it would have been hard to add in a segment like that on the fly. The Kurtley Beale story would have filled the breaking news portion of the show they had set aside for contingencies.

On that note I thought the Rebels CEO was really good in his comments about the issue. He was forthcoming with information, direct with what he had to say and levelled with his response to the incident.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Credit where it is due.

Chez Jarse residents are happy with the recent versions of Rugby HQ.

A vast improvment on the format for the first few shows this year.

Just because Mungo footy show is unashamedly targeting the lower end of Charles Darwin's scale of evolution, doesn't mean that the rugby version has to follow suit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WTF was the "Get Rid of the Red, Go Green and Gold" promo that they showed tonight.

It didn't get my full attention at the time but my first impression was that they were having a go at Queenslanders.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
George lewisr I've mentioned earlier that he doesn't work well with a script, but when it is on the fly he shows how much he knows. For example: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wallabies-coach-robbie-deans-confirms-hes-interested-in-test-veteran-george-smith-for-lions-tour/story-e6frfkp9-1226625268175#

I dont know why but my computer wont play any of those videos for some reason. Can't find it on youtube either. You reckon the entire rugby HQ thing is scripted? (honest question). It's all live, I thought it would be off the cuff.

Personally i'm not concerned about what he knows, he's clearly a knowledgeable coach and footy player (as much as I love to bag him). He's just not a natural speaker and I don't think communicates in the most effective way.

We debate it heaps, I know, but I just don't think he quite gets the whole Wallaby and Australian Rugby concept. He's used to NZ where its Rugby or nothing and this is evident in his selections and game approach.

Sorry, I'm turning this into another Deans discussion aren't I...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I dont know why but my computer wont play any of those videos for some reason. Can't find it on youtube either. You reckon the entire rugby HQ thing is scripted? (honest question). It's all live, I thought it would be off the cuff.

I suspect the show is rehearsed prior, so scripted.

Some of the questioning might be on the fly if a certain answer is given, but I'd say all guests are given the questions pre-show, just as all guests on 7:30, that Hughies show, 60 Minutes know the line of questioning.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And some would defend him no matter what. Thef act is he has a win loss ratio around 60% and hasn't met one goal set by management. It's time to look else where.

defend no matter what? nah, defend against over the top, relentless whinging - yeah, it gets bloody depressing

To me, he isn't as bad as many on here seem to think and clearly not perfect either, but he is the coach for this series, nothing is going to change that and I see no point in the incessant moaning.

I would rather get excited about one of best rugby series you get the opportunity to watch and supporting my team, than who may be the Wallaby coach in October.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
And some would defend him no matter what. Thef act is he has a win loss ratio around 60% and hasn't met one goal set by management. It's time to look else where.
I don't know what his KPIs are or were but I imagine he has met a few of them, 3n win, world ranking improve on the back of a pretty empty tank, historic wins vs SA, 3rd in RWC and positioned as genuine 2nd best team going in, performance wise i'd say second equal with Boks, a pretty damn good bag of results last year given ridiculous injury levels and frankly I dgaf about Scotland.

But 60% isn't enough and it needs to ratchet up another level. Another level doesn't require winning the bled. No Lions, no Bled, no 3n,and I think he's done. Any other combination and he has a fair shot, and he's a walk in for RWC15 if he gets 2 of 3 imo. He will or he won't, and if he doesn't then hopefully Ewen gets the nod. Personally I am predicting a lot of whinging on these boards for the next two years. A lot of it. But we will see.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

Best example of scripting is Sean Maloney and Rod Kafer's segments. Of course Nick sounds scripted but that would just be because he's the host and needs to put some order to the show.

Honestly I think there would be two or three rehearsals beforehand, especially with interviews. You don't want Kearns going "what the..." while someone is talking live on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.