• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
12191880_10153632688790731_1526662712707119_n.jpg

Typical AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), never thinks about passing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The player ratings on the front page are weird and unjustly low. Who does them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's Halloween. Nearly all the young folk are wearing fancy dress of some description in the entertainment precincts in the city. It is the Final Match of the World Festival of Rugby and it involves out national team.

A young lad lobs up to a venue in the said precinct wearing a Wallaby Jumper, hoping to get in to watch the Big Dance on the Big Screen.

"Sorry, You can't come in here. You're wearing branded sportswear." says the security man on the door, as an assortment of people dressed in rags walk into the venue.

"What if I ripped my Wallaby shirt, poured fake blood all over it, covered my face, hands, and clothes in mud and said I was a Zombie, would you allow me in?"

"Yes".

"So mud, blood, guts and violence is OK, but pride in Australia is somehow offensive. If I simply wear my Wallaby shirt inside out, will I be allowed in?"

"Yes"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thx must have missed those do u have a post no? but point being it was not reviewed by TMO at the time,.

Nah was on another site. Kiwis agreed he was fine, so I'm taking their word for it ;)

EDIT: actually the replay just happened to be on the Foxtel Play app - here is a screen shot.

Genia is clearly ahead of the end of that 15m line painted on the ground. Foley is right on it. Ball has left Genia's foot. Onside.

foles.png

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hugh Cavills match report first rate and really shows some class re how to win and how to loose. Agree totally. Only add is surprise that no one has mentioned that Foley probably offside at Genias chip that led to try. 50/50 at best and should have been reviewed. Any takers?

He wasn't offside. Beautifully timed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My 3 cents for what it's worth. It's just echoing the rest really.

From the first minute you could tell the AB's were up for it, conversely the Wallabies lacked that high level intensity for much of the game. Perhaps they were tired, one less day of rest, 5th tough test in a row. I'd say so. Often the AB's take about 30 minutes to wind up the gears so it was ominous for the Wallabies when they started well.

AB's got their tactics right. Although Pocock did get a couple of steals early (one straight from the side, couldn't resist sorry), I thought the AB's targeted him perfectly. When possible they run at him and if he was near the ruck they flooded it to clear him out. The "Hardcock" combo was good for the first 20 but lost the edge after that.

This could be me making up bollocks but I thought I heard one of the AB lineout calls being "blue 7". They threw it off the top and ran at Poey (blue headgear, normally a 7) eh eh??? Anyway, as I've said all tournament, NZ has the best lineout in the world at the moment so I wasn't surprised that they won that area.

Scrums? Shit, most of them probably involved some form of angling, boring, cheating, ball twisting. AB's only got pinged once for it (we normally get pinged at least twice) so put that down as a win for the AB's.

As for our old mate Nigel, yeah, AB's got the rub of the green but only a couple of obvious pieces of bullshit, the forward pass and the Kaino head high. The rest were 50/50 calls and the kind of things a pedantic ref would ruin a game for. If Barnes (sans forward pass) was in the middle, Australia would have probably won I reckon. Owens suits the AB's perfectly (i.e he lets shit go). Took a ridiculously long time to make the right call on Ben Smith.

The B.Smith yellow card was a huge turning point (obviously) but the Carter drop goal (praise be his name) was the finger in the dyke. Such a perfect, out of nothing, hang on, I'll just change my pants a sec, beautiful piece of play. Iced it for us.

This was just one game too far for the Wallabies who otherwise had a brilliant tournament. Good shit from Moore and Cheika after the game too. Cheika should make every Australian proud as punch.

Highlanders won the Super 15 and the AB's won a foreign world cup? This is rugby nirvana. I hope you all get to enjoy this one day.

Yep.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Owens was consistently the best ref in this cup by a mile.

He got the final because he deserved it.

By your logic EVERY ref is shit because almost without fail they all miss stuff. All the time.

Refs cop it in all sports. NFL. All the time. Soccer. All the time, NBA. All the time. Cricket. All the time.

From time to time all of us feel shafted when our team loses but we need to get perspective. Unless the game becomes refereed by three guys sitting in front of big screens with near real time angles, we are going to see blunders. I think it's quite remarkable that we are not seeing more than we are.

I dont feel shafted by Owens.
He is the ghost of Greg Hartley (and to the extent I follow it I support Manly)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think everyone should cool down about the reffing.
I'm sure the pass was forward (out of the hands) but these happen, and there was a knock on missed and plenty of those happen, and at the time I was pissed off about them (certainly mentioned it on Twitter), but as Omar says, Kepu pretty lucky not to be carded, and I'm sure we'd have fared worse with 14 men!
BUT - we were simply beaten by a better side playing better rugby, and the relentless harping just sounds sour. The better team won and won clearly.
Time to move on in this thread.
I will invoke Rule 10 if people feel the need to keep going in circles.

I think it is a bit rough to say Kepu was lucky not to be carded. The first penalty was line ball - even Owens himself said so 'you had a split second to put less into the tackle'. It was clear he wasn't completely convinced himself that it was a foul - a 50/50 call that went against us.

Reactions: gel

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think it is a bit rough to say Kepu was lucky not to be carded. The first penalty was line ball - even Owens himself said so 'you had a split second to put less into the tackle'. It was clear he wasn't completely convinced himself that it was a foul - a 50/50 call that went against us.

Thats even worse: I thought he said to pull out; putting less into the tackle - where's that in the laws?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

2 tackle infringements in a short period = very lucky in my view. Many refs would have carded him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

According to some Kiwis I've read today, Kepu deserved three yellow cards: late hit on Carter, high hit on Carter, and some wrestling thing with SBW.

It was pretty clear Owens didn't want to give any cards - and in a final you can see why. He was talking penalty for Ben Smith until the evidence was a bit too convincing for just a penalty. It got us two tries but our impact against 15 was limited.

Had we somehow got in front while Smith was off, people may look at that card differently in light of the fact that we received none.

Interestedoz1

Bob McCowan (2)
Is NZ's dominance of world rugby becoming a problem for the IRB?

Is it healthy for an international sport to be so dominated?

Food for thought....

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

Enzedder

Frank Nicholson (4)
Kenny, most of us do not have a problem with that contact on McCaw - in fact he brought it on himself.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I refuse to go behind the refereeing, but I wont sit back and listen a Kiwi saying this, Nige was so one eyed on the first half that captain Hook looks like having two eyes.

Still the better team won on the day and I hope the winners dont mention the reffing again as it wasnt fair on the first half.

All the whinging about the ref is a bit disappointing really, when there were clearly issues on both sides of the park in that first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.