• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
"Our little Tarquin? A tradesman?!! Now see here teach: my wife might love our pool cleaner - perhaps a bit too much for a man not to be suspicious - but that is NOT going to happen while I'm a Partner at the firm!"

;)

Tell her to look up the earnings of skilled tradesmen. She might be surprised (and leave a bigger tip for Ramone, the pool boy).

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Its not about the income, its about what she tells those other bitches at tennis ;)

You Aussies and your class system. :rolleyes:

Well I got one boy training up to be a welder, following his Uncle. while the youngest has started Uni, playing rugby, shagging himself to a standstill and occasionally passing a course, with the aim of being a teacher, like dear old dad. Both will end up on similar wages in a few years time. But the oldest will have a minimal student loan while junior's is going to be seriously scary.

But enough being serious, I should be happy. It is teacher xmas. 2nd to last day before the seniors go on exam leave. Countdown to summer has begun. 4 weeks left with the juniors.
Exam week
2 weeks of convincing them the work they are doing is important.
Last week is camp week. My favourite time. Off fishing for a week. Hand picking the good kids and off camping, fishing and shooting in the wilds. "Now remember, if anyone gets a bigger fish on than what I have caught, I am cutting the line."

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Ha ha.
Private schools don't automatically deliver the best education, which I think is what you are implying. They do seem to get an unfairly large slice of the pie when it comes to funding though, which can hide a lot of shortcomings. Take into account they get a lot of upper to middle class students with highly educated, highly paid parents, there is no reason for them not to do well.

Ben Smith's old school was the top boys school in NZ a couple of years back and is just a bog standard state school, with a lot of what you would call Houso kids.

Kings? Really? Fair play to them.

I was sent to a private school (high school years), in Australia. Only my opinion but it was definitely not value for money. I think I learnt more off my parents than at school. Perhaps the biggest thing I gained was an addiction to computers. Was coddled through everything, could get through with little graft and learnt few life skills.

As an example, I "heard", that the boys in my grade were 20% below the state average when it came to the end of year standardised tests. A few of them were high I think.

This explains so much..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You think? SBW came off as a truly great guy and took over the media with a great act benevolence. Then SBW was given another medal win\win

Now the cynic in me may think these acts can be contrived to improve someone's brand, but SBW just doesn't come across like that

He just rewarded a kid who broke the law. Bet he wouldn't have done it if an adult ran on the field. Not to mention this kid was very likely old enough to know better.

Would have much prefer him donate his medal to charity for an auction so they could raise money for people more deserving.

What do you think is going to happen next time SBW wins something?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think SBW acted admirably and it was a great gesture on his part irrespective of what has subsequently come out about the kid. SBW acted based on what he thought at the time and I think better of him for it. He should be banned from all professional rugby for a year for making an Australian like him like that though. :p

Also feel pretty bad for the security guard as well - he did his job and was put in an awkward position because of it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He just rewarded a kid who broke the law. Bet he wouldn't have done it if an adult ran on the field. Not to mention this kid was very likely old enough to know better.

Would have much prefer him donate his medal to charity for an auction so they could raise money for people more deserving.

What do you think is going to happen next time SBW wins something?

Mate it was PR genius by SBW, just like him tweating he wanted to give spare tickets to some Syrian refugees.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
SBW has had plenty of practice pushing his brand but was a nice gesture all the same. Shame it had to be given to a spoilt little shit who didn't deserve it.
Wonder if it appears on Ebay soon?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Although I tend to agree the kid probably shouldn't of been rewarded for breaking rules, I tend to think that SBW probably saw a kid get knocked over by security guard, and thought to make things a bit better for him, don't forget Messam put the AB beanie he was wearing on the kids head too. If SBW thought that quickly here is a chance for good PR, he is perhaps a bit smarter than I ever gave him credit for, because bottom line is it was top PR for rugby as well as for SBW, he also arranged for a couple of his tickets to be given to a couple of refugees, so perhaps I tend to bthink he should maybe get a little credit. as for the kid, don't know if he spoilt etc, but I know when I was a young fella I broke plenty of ground rules at rugby like climbing over fences etc to avoid paying, so unlike a lot of you here i can't point finger!

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Agreed.

When SBW gave the lad his medal it may have been good for his brand but it was great for Rugby's brand.

When he consoled Kriel after the semi it was good for his brand but even better for Rugby's brand.

When Hansen and Cheika spend time shaking the hands of the other team after a game it is good for their "brand" but it even better for Rugby's brand.

When the AB's clean the change room after a game it is looks good for their brand but again says more about a spirit of no matter how good you are don't believe you are better than anyone else.

Having played a little Rugby over the years all these actions seem to me consistent with the spirit of rugby and consistent with the reasons that my son now plays and I trust one day his son (or even daughter) may likely follow.

I prefer to see the positives rather than the pettiness.

The spirit of Rugby is one key reason we all love this great game and one of the key factors that distinguish it from other codes.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
agreed. I mean I am quite cynical by nature, indeed perhaps too much so.

But to be honest I am dumbfounded at the level of cynicism leveled against SBW here.

Maybe I have to re-evaluate where I sit on this sliding scale of cynicism. I honestly thought I was towards the extreme end.

Dunno if that makes me happy or sad.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
SBW has had plenty of practice pushing his brand but was a nice gesture all the same. Shame it had to be given to a spoilt little shit who didn't deserve it.
Wonder if it appears on Ebay soon?
How do we know that he's a spoilt shit?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whether its on ebay or not the kid shouldn't have been rewarded for breaking the law (certainly would be an offence here) - I dont blame SBW for that: he would have been walking on air!
Where were his parents i hear you ask.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nobody suggesting anyone should be rewarded for breaking the law, and I not defending the kid, just wondering why anyone would suggest the medal may get sold on ebay or that the kid is spoilt etc etc, did noone see the little girl that ran onto field after the AB/Tongan game, she corralled SBW to go over and get pics with her father etc, me think this is all smacking of selective outrage!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To get back to the game, I've just read @Force Fan's Ruck and Maul stats from the blog front page.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/rwc-final-ruck-analysis-all-blacks-v-wallabies/

Sir Richie GOAT was involved in an insane number of 55 Rucks/Mauls. The next best was Bordie Retallick on a "paltry" 42.
David Pocock lead the way for the Men in Gold on 34.

With a work rate like that, we are going to struggle to beat The Darkness while The Goat (with or without Invisibility Cloak) is playing for them. Hurry up and retire please so we can get a fair go at the Bledisloe Cup.

PS @Force Fan is a treasure. Well done, that man.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was noticeable while watching (and @Force Fan's stats back it up) that in that critical period of defence and then counter attack ie 60-75 minutes, that McCaw really upped his workrate. I thought he was everywhere and whether it was his tackling or ruck work, he made life difficult for the Wallabies in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.