• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 2 - Australia v Argentina Twickenham, Monday 19 October, 2:45 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Was it just me - but I thought Toby Smith brought a lot more solidity to our scrum when he replaced Slipper.

Slipper with his injury is just not the player he was. Our one consolation is NZ scrum not as good as Argentina scrum.

But the positives our back 3 - Fardy Hooper and Pocock - would not swap them for anyone - world beating..

We don't have the fastest wingers but fast thinkers they are - smart positional winger play by them.

And how good did Genia play..very positive..and Foley in terms of leading the side in attackj and moreso cover defence very good..kicking a bit so so - but sealed for me any doubts that he will be our starting 10 for some time..

Yes the world 15 selection will be interesting.
I'm with you - balance, and skill set of these 3 cover so many dynamics, in their positions played.
But as does.
Kaino / McCaw / Read - they also bring a balance, a different balance.

Both combo's can lay claim to World XV starters - it will be interesting.
Kaino & Read play allot looser than Fardy & Pocock / Hooper brings a varied game to McCaw because of his partners in crime.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Look at the evidence. There is no argument.

I think some would disagree with you over that, like the SMH. But not me!!! I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't think it would have affected final results if it had been called forward.

I just reckon you guys were lucky George Ayoub wasn't sitting in the TMO box and asked to judge it. Who knows what could have happened!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Another amazing characteristic of Pocock is his fitness. After 80 exhausting minutes of being a pilfer merchant, he still looked to be the most energetic on the field, including substitutes.

What a bloody engine.

Hooper 2 - I'd love to see the distance those 2 travelled in the game.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Few things I took from the game:

- The uncalled not-straight calls everyones complaining about: I saw a few crooked throws, but I also didn't see Australia contest a lot of them. If we don't lift a jumper, its not a penalty. If it doesn't haven't a material effect on the game, its play on.

- Kuridrani. He's gone missing this World Cup, and aside from a few good games before it, I was never 100% convinced on him. I'm all for letting him play himself back into form, but next Super Rugby another 13 might play him out of the team. It'll be interesting to see how Kerevi develops next season.

- Sanchez. Wow. What a player. Surely the form 10 of the competition thus far, and I wonder if he'll be represented at all in the IRB Player of the Year nominees (Pocock, Nonu, ...?). Can't wait to see him and the likes of Matera and Cordero in the Super Rugby next year, the latter of which had an absolute cracker of a game. Such an electric runner of the ball.

- Izzy looking far from convincing, alongside Slipper. They'll both need to step up next weekend if selected. I thought Smith had a good impact off the bench, as did McCalman and TPN.

- Giteau's injury is likewise worrying. He's such a stabiliser in the back line and you can tell a lot of the team really look to him for leadership.

- The boys were exhausted. The last 10 minutes of the game was almost played at a walking pace. Neither team wanted to back down yet neither team had any juice in the tank. The next week will be crucial in terms of recovery. Light training and getting the boys mentally prepped is key.

What a game though, bring on next week. This will be a grand-final to go down in the history books.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
The wider (read: everywhere other than AUS) reactions to these great results is just as satisfying as the wins themselves.

Cheated England out at scrum time. Robbed Wales during a period of 13 man cheating. Paid off Joubert for a 'match deciding' penalty to steal the game from Scotland. Scraped past Argentina after a 'forward' pass where Barnes was on our side the whole match.

Pathetic.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

- The uncalled not-straight calls everyones complaining about: I saw a few crooked throws, but I also didn't see Australia contest a lot of them. If we don't lift a jumper, its not a penalty. If it doesn't haven't a material effect on the game, its play on.

NRC correct
Test match rugby = scrum, or line out.
And we did contest some of them, gee a number of them went to the Puma's outside shoulder they were that wrong. Why contest if not policed??

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The wider (read: everywhere other than AUS) reactions to these great results is just as satisfying as the wins themselves.

Cheated England out at scrum time. Robbed Wales during a period of 13 man cheating. Paid off Joubert for a 'match deciding' penalty to steal the game from Scotland. Scraped past Argentina after a 'forward' pass where Barnes was on our side the whole match.

Pathetic.

It's been gold, hasn't it? I so hope we win on the weekend so we can stick it right up dickheads like Lord Bald.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Obviously I'm biased but I thought we got hammered by Barnes.

Not only did the 50/50 calls go their way but the amount of non-calls was crazy. Not straights, collapsing mauls, offsides etc.

My fave was sometime in the second half Kurindrani got over the ball that the Argie had place. Once his hand hit the ball, the Argie (lying on the ground) picked it up and pulled it back into his chest. This happened 2 m directly infront of Jaco and maybe 4m directly infront of Barnes. We got penalized because Fardy then came in from the side. An argie sealed off two on the initial clean out, diving straight off his feet. 2 pens against Arg ignored then we got pinged. We had several off side as a result as Tevita going past the ball and it still a ruck, but Fardy marginally coming through the side got pinged.

EDIT: saw a gif of the incident on Twitter. The more I watch it the more stunned I am. https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CSMpyG_WwAATHWE.mp4

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
With the usual caveats (some tackles are more important than others, some of the missed tackles effective if they disorganize the structure of the attacking team etc.), the defensive stats of the wingers are nothing to be particularly proud of: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 4/4, Mitchell 6/5.

Fardy (16/1) and Douglas (14/1) both very good as expected.

Haven't yet watched my replay but live I don't recall getting all upset with our wingers' defence. Doubt AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s misses will be an issue, he's normally very reliable. Probably a result of either:
  1. Wingers who were back to collect a possible kick suddenly having to get up into the line to cover a linebreak, or
  2. Wingers coming in on the umbrella and then having to try and realign once the outside break is on.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Obviously I'm biased but I thought we got hammered by Barnes.

Not only did the 50/50 calls go their way but the amount of non-calls was crazy. Not straights, collapsing mauls, offsides etc.

My fave was sometime in the second half Kurindrani got over the ball that the Argie had place. Once his hand hit the ball, the Argie (lying on the ground) picked it up and pulled it back into his chest. This happened 2 m directly infront of Jaco and maybe 4m directly infront of Barnes. We got penalized because Fardy then came in from the side. An argie sealed off two on the initial clean out, diving straight off his feet. 2 pens against Arg ignored then we got pinged. We had several off side as a result as Tevita going past the ball and it still a ruck, but Fardy marginally coming through the side got pinged.

Read it the same - but fuck it was a good game.
Trusting the boys are in bath tubs of ice right now.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

Pretty sure that's not correct at all........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Trusting the boys are in bath tubs of ice right now.
It's 4:30 am in London right now @Dave Beat.

I hope they're all tucked up in their beddie-byes, and not out on Burger Runs, Ice baths or the like.
1372556928277.jpg

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes the world 15 selection will be interesting.
I'm with you - balance, and skill set of these 3 cover so many dynamics, in their positions played.
But as does.
Kaino / McCaw / Read - they also bring a balance, a different balance.

Both combo's can lay claim to World XV starters - it will be interesting.
Kaino & Read play allot looser than Fardy & Pocock / Hooper brings a varied game to McCaw because of his partners in crime.

A world XV back row is sure fun to speculate. I think Poey and Read would get in- they compliment each well. One tight and hard, the other loose and skillful. Then i'd probably chuck in Vermulen on the blindside flank cos he's a beast, or a 2011 Kaino. But then McCaw misses out (which is crazy that guys leadership alone might get him a spot) and Fardy is probably the form 6. Too many good back rowers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although not all of the English rugby press are down on Australia.

Paul Haywood thinks:
In the toughest of all the groups Australia beat both England and Wales before sauntering into a quarter-final against Scotland with more than a hint of complacency.
Kudos is due for their 20-point smashing of Stuart Lancaster’s side, which was inspired by attacking joie de vivre, and their narrower 15-6 win against Wales, which featured a heroic 10-minute goal-line stand when two Wallabies were in the sin-bin.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-Wallabies-have-shown-unity-and-maturity.html

As Brian Moore continues:

Australia and New Zealand's dominance comes down to one thing - they are simply more skilled than everyone else.

We have the two best teams in the world in the final next Saturday. We might beat them sporadically but the reason we don’t achieve a higher win rate is abundantly clear.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...re-teams-fail-because-of-a-lack-of-skill.html

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A world XV back row is sure fun to speculate. I think Poey and Read would get in- they compliment each well. One tight and hard, the other loose and skillful. Then i'd probably chuck in Vermulen on the blindside flank cos he's a beast, or a 2011 Kaino. But then McCaw misses out (which is crazy that guys leadership alone might get him a spot) and Fardy is probably the form 6. Too many good back rowers.

You left out Joe "Man of the Match' launchbury :)

Status
Not open for further replies.