• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 2 - Australia v Argentina Twickenham, Monday 19 October, 2:45 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously Blue?...we get the fact that you think the OP's idea might be ridiculous but suggesting that he "take his kind to park" for F-sake? Accept the fact that some on the boards may have a different opinion about a particular player and show a little bloody respect. Insinuating someone is some sort of idiot for having a different take is uncalled for..IMO

Chill out. It was meant in jest.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Which flaws? Where? Penalised or not? Back up your statements with facts, it will help form the discussion, rather than just light an argument.

He lacks core strength. His back constantly rounds which is the beginning of the end unless his pack gets a good shove on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd say that if the pack doesn't smash the Argies backwards continually it won't matter what Foley does. The battle will be won in jerseys 1-8 for mine.

Scotland was probably a step back but I think the pack has done very well all tournament. I have confidence they will do exactly that next game. Especially if Poey is back.

I have more confidence in the forwards then the backs at this stage.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If you are calling for Cooper:

1. Watch Foley slot the arse-saving goal in the rain this weekend from 40 out. At least 20 times. Remind yoursekf that at that point he had to come enormous self doubt because if anyone knew he had an off day, IT WAS HIM.
2. Stand in front of a wall. Repeatedly bash your head whilst chanting "BMT, BMT, BMT"
3. Go back through ALL of the archives in the last 5 years. Produce compelling evidence of Cooper delivering in clutch, squeaky-bum, tight test match situations. Try not to trip over the howlers as you go along.
4. Go back to said wall. Bang head again. This time chanting "Can't find it, can't find it, can''t find it."
5. If you are still conscious, take your kind to the park and practice some no-look passes and try to get it out of your system.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

For a start Foley has no idea when to kick-in-play. He is too slow to do it & often gets charged down, putting a lot of pressure for the other backs in defense.
Why he attempted this below near his own 22 defies belief!
"As per this '59: DISASTER FOR THE WALLABIES! Bernard Foley goes for a chip over the top and it's charged down by Finn Russell. Russell regathers, is tackled from behind and then Seymour looms up on the inside and scores a TRY for Scotland in the corner. Foley is having a shocker!"
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-union-match-centre/rugby-world-cup-2015-quarterfinal-live--wallabies-v-scotland-20151018-gkc4k3.html#ixzz3p47EyWWY
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

If Foley hadn't of stuffed up, he wouldn't of had to do the pressure kick at the end.
I'm not out to berate Foley, but I'm getting sick of the shit people like you are putting on Cooper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd say that if the pack doesn't smash the Argies backwards continually it won't matter what Foley does. The battle will be won in jerseys 1-8 for mine.

Yes yes. AND if Foley plays like he did against Scotland it will be lost irrespective.

It isn't time to recall Quade, and if he wasn't used from the line last week he simply shouldn't be wasting a reserve/finisher slot. Unfortunately he's lost his chance this RWC. But it isn't hard to see that Foley needs to step up. Another game like England please.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My starting XV:

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Douglas
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8 Pocock
9 Genia
10 Foley
11 Tomane
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Smith
18 Holmes
19 Mumm
20 McCalman
21 Phipps
22 Giteau
23 Beale

Why I pick Tomane ahead of Mitchell?

Remember this game:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Totally agree that Foley had a poor game on the weekend and will need to get to what he did in the pool stages. However, he's built up enough trust through excellent performances in the tournament for me to say it was an aberration and Cheika should trust him to execute better in the semi.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't think the question should be around Cooper, but rather why didn't Cheika use To'omua in a game that was clearly calling out for some straight running and taking it to the line.

Cheika has been a bit off with his subs over the last few weeks (IMO).

Looks to me that he isn't a 'finisher' anymore, rather there as injury cover.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes yes. AND if Foley plays like he did against Scotland it will be lost irrespective.

It isn't time to recall Quade, and if he wasn't used from the line last week he simply shouldn't be wasting a reserve/finisher slot. Unfortunately he's lost his chance this RWC. But it isn't hard to see that Foley needs to step up. Another game like England please.

Tough gig to be an Aussie first five.

You just cannot play a bad game. It simply is not tolerated.

Foley has gone from hero to zero in a lot of people's eyes. That is beyond ridiculous.

I think as fans we sometimes have no idea how big the pressure can get.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Looks to me that he isn't a 'finisher' anymore, rather there as injury cover.

To be fair, Gits was playing well so he probably didn't want to sub him. He can't sub Foley because that would mean Gits would be kicker... against Scotland, in the rain, and we all know how that ended last time.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I must admit that I didn't see Matt Giteau having much of an influential impact on the game. As second play maker, did he open up the defensive line with some brilliant attacking flair for the outside backs to capitalise on? My impression is that he played a very straight forward game, trucking the ball up into contact on most occasions, and if that is the game plan then Matt To'omua would offer better value imo. And further, if that was the intention, To'omua's fresh legs would have been beneficial in the last 15 - 20 minutes while playing essentially the same role.

Can't see that the term 'finisher' has any relevance anymore. Incidentally, the same comment applies to the non-use of McMahon in those last 15 minutes or so as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Tough gig to be an Aussie first five.

You just cannot play a bad game. It simply is not tolerated.

Foley has gone from hero to zero in a lot of people's eyes. That is beyond ridiculous.

I think as fans we sometimes have no idea how big the pressure can get.

Players who don't show consistency are easily criticized. Just so happens none of our fly-halves have shown any sort of consistency.

I don't think there's anything "ridiculous" about that. We simply do not know which games are his normal standard. The good ones or the bad ones? History suggests he's average with outliers of good and poor games.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Apart from the chip kick and missing some tough, wide conversations in the first half, I thought Foley was quite solid behind a pack not going great at times.

Just what should he have been doing?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It was a sublime Yellow Card?

Scored 28 points against England
Scored 15 points against Wales
Scored the winning goal against Scotland

Quade kicked at 55% against Uruguay.

And what we always seem to do is crucify a player like Foley for last test for when made a couple of crucial mistakes but also ignore some of the positives...namely his running game was very good. Sure was not overall a good game by Foley but:
a) His goal kicking against England and Wales was very good
b) It was the first charge down kick he had and was due to changing his mind at last minute
c) His running game was good for this game
d) He was behind a beaten pack/scrum...never easy for 9/10 in these sort of games...

STOP. STOP RIGHT THERE.

So you've spent some time pointing out Foley's shortcomings but you basically admit Quade isn't in form.

Yet you wondering why he was on the bench and not used?

Give me strength.

This isn't about Foley versus Quade, or NSW v QLD. Its about two players with varying abilities and form as part of a squad in a big tournament.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

And what we always seem to do is crucify a player like Foley for last test for when made a couple of crucial mistakes but also ignore some of the positives.namely his running game was very good. Sure was not overall a good game by Foley but:
a) His goal kicking against England and Wales was very good
b) It was the first charge down kick he had and was due to changing his mind at last minute
c) His running game was good for this game
d) He was behind a beaten pack/scrum.never easy for 9/10 in these sort of games

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
One game where he doesn't make it off the bench and suddenly the role he's had for most of the season has changed?

Doesn't seem likely to me.

The strange thing for me was this game seemed like the one where we needed the "finishers" more then ever. Given Foley seemed to be struggling.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
One game where he doesn't make it off the bench and suddenly the role he's had for most of the season has changed?

Doesn't seem likely to me.

My beef is the use of the term 'finisher'. Three bench players did not make it onto the ground against Scotland. I see that as their presence on the bench was simply as injury cover.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
d) He was behind a beaten pack/scrum.never easy for 9/10 in these sort of games

In hindsight we may well have been better with QC (Quade Cooper) out there from the beginning last weekend as he has some 50+ caps of experience playing behind "beaten pack/scrums."

.........and yes, I am joking before anyone cracks the shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.