• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So for me thinking through terms of what would define as world class players we have for RWC.only names that spring to mind are Slipper, Moore/TPN, Hooper, Pocock (if fit and what the player he was)..Palu/McCalum (latter impressed me on spring tour).TK, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau...

Fardy/Higgers got potential to get there.

But gees lot of gaps...

Fardy has been a top performer in the wallabies for 2 seasons now. Much more effective then McCalman and Palu have shown at test level.

Agree with the others.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fardy has been consistently one of our best players and I can't wait to see him back in gold. We've missed his presence at the breakdown on this EOYT. With him there the back row has a lot more balance.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I love Fardys mongrel and fight but the bloke leeches some penalties
He does, doesn't he, but I guess that's the roll of being an on baller 6. His really playing the on baller role for Brumbies and Wallabies last year. Year before he was much better in the penalty stakes when we had Smith, and he could pick and choose better.

I suspect with Poey back at the Brumbies his penalty count will drop.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He does, doesn't he, but I guess that's the roll of being an on baller 6. His really playing the on baller role for Brumbies and Wallabies last year. Year before he was much better in the penalty stakes when we had Smith, and he could pick and choose better.

I suspect with Poey back at the Brumbies his penalty count will drop.

Mate - there seems to be real excitment in Pocock's return, not only at Brum level but also Aussie level. IF he can return to his best the selection choice between Hooper and Pocock will be the subject of huge debate here.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Uruguay will basically play as a full time team next year in the lead up to the world cup. In a way, they'll have the best preparation of any team in the tournament as I think only 2 or 3 of their players are based in Europe. The rest have the following schedule:

February - Vodacom Cup in South Africa

March - Uruguay vs Argentina Jaguars - Estadio Charrúa
March - Uruguay vs Chile (TBC)

24 April - Uruguay vs USA - Estadio Charrúa

May - South American Championship and CONSUR Cup (against Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Argentina)

May - Uruguay vs Fiji (TBC) - Estadio Charrúa

June - Tbilisi Cup against Emerging Ireland, Emerging Italy and Georgia

July - Uruguay vs French Barbarians (Date to be finalised) - Estadio Charrúa

1 August - Argentina vs Uruguay - In Argentina
22 August - Japan vs Uruguay - Kintetsu Hanazono Stadium, Higashiōsaka
29 August - Japan vs Uruguay - Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium, Tokyo

September - Tonga vs Uruguay (TBC) - European Venue
September - Top 14 team/Belgium/Portugal vs Uruguay (TBC)

With a preparation like that they'll be as competitive as they possibly can be.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are any non-Aussie games going to be on FTA? Would be a shame if this tournament has near zero profile on FTA.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Steffon Armitage could yet make it to the Cup:

He would be a good "get" for England but no.8 is not a big problem for them: Morgan played well against us and Billy V seems to be coming good now.

He would be good in a squad though, to cover 7 or 8 - any backrow position really. He's a South African type of backrow: you have to see the number on his back to discover his official position.

There's one proviso though: if he plays, England will have to make sure that one of the two other backrows is a lineout jumper - he's a short-arse, but makes up for it by being like a barnacle over the ball.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The woes of timing and injury will haunt Benn Robinson. Once purported to be the best LHP in the world to possibly missing out on his third RWC.

The rise of Scott Sio may push him back to third. Rugby can be a cruel game and untimely injuries precluded Benn at RWC 2007 and 2011.

For any player who has been pretty dominant (except the past couple of years) for such a long time to not participate in a RWC would be a shame.

I haven't written him off but he needs to play very well, not only at strumming but around the park (where both slipper and Sio are clearly better) to get in the squad.

Reckon the motivation is there. Look for a big year from Benn.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WORLD CUP MATCH OFFICIALS

Referees: Wayne Barnes (England, 57 tests), George Clancy (Ireland, 38), JP Doyle (England, 12), Jérôme Garcès (France, 22), Pascal Gauzere (France, 17), Glen Jackson (NZ, 10), Craig Joubert (South Africa, 55), John Lacey (Ireland, 13), Nigel Owens (Wales, 60), Jaco Peyper (South Africa, 20), Romain Poite (France, 39) and Chris Pollock (NZ, 18).

Assistant referees: Federico Anselmi (Argentina, 5), Stuart Berry (South Africa, 15), Mike Fraser (NZ, 10), Angus Gardner (Australia, two), Leighton Hodges (Wales, 19), Marius Mitrea (Italy, 13), Mathieu Raynal (France, nine).

Television match officials: George Ayoub (Australia, 33), Graham Hughes (England, 60) Ben Skeen (NZ, 11), Shaun Veldsman (South Africa, 50).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rugby-announces-world-cup-12man-referee-panel

Only 7 x AR named so I'm assuming the 12 refs named will also do some matches as AR.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
WORLD CUP MATCH OFFICIALS

Referees: Wayne Barnes (England, 57 tests), George Clancy (Ireland, 38), JP Doyle (England, 12), Jérôme Garcès (France, 22), Pascal Gauzere (France, 17), Glen Jackson (NZ, 10), Craig Joubert (South Africa, 55), John Lacey (Ireland, 13), Nigel Owens (Wales, 60), Jaco Peyper (South Africa, 20), Romain Poite (France, 39) and Chris Pollock (NZ, 18).

Assistant referees: Federico Anselmi (Argentina, 5), Stuart Berry (South Africa, 15), Mike Fraser (NZ, 10), Angus Gardner (Australia, two), Leighton Hodges (Wales, 19), Marius Mitrea (Italy, 13), Mathieu Raynal (France, nine).

Television match officials: George Ayoub (Australia, 33), Graham Hughes (England, 60) Ben Skeen (NZ, 11), Shaun Veldsman (South Africa, 50).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rugby-announces-world-cup-12man-referee-panel

Only 7 x AR named so I'm assuming the 12 refs named will also do some matches as AR.
George Clancy:eek:
Glen Jackson:eek::eek:
George Ayoub:eek::eek::eek:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a bit sad that Australia can only provide one AR and one TMO. I guess Steve Walsh would have been one of the 12 referees if he hadn't retired.

I'm not familiar at all with Doyle or Lacey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anselmi is a shockingly bad, at least Pastrana is gone. I fear the main topic at this RWC will be the refereeing.

At least the ability of the assistant to make outrageous calls is decreasing thanks to replays.

Hard for them to reach a conclusion that is completely at odds to the main referee these days which is a positive.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I've always had a theory that something about the temperament of Australians makes them bad referees. I find in loads of international sports, Australia is underrepresented as referees, and the ones that are around aren't that good. No hard data on it, but it's one of my many wild hypotheses.

Status
Not open for further replies.