• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So what would be your Wallabies side for RWC including bolters and returning players from injury fully fit for me 1st XV would be:
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Spreight
12. Kuridrani
13. AOC
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Bench

Alexander
Polatau-Nau
Horwill
McCalman
Pocock

Phipps
Beale
Hunt/Horne

Think you'll find there must be another prop on the bench. And Henry's name id Speight - drop the unnecessary "r". By AOC I presume you mean AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Can't agree in any nightmare with moving our best 13 to 12, and JOC (James O'Connor) will need to show that his form in better class of rugby warrants selection in our national team. Similar comment applies to Hunt as well.

These matters might seem to be minor irritations but they indicate to me that you are a fair bit wide of the mark atm.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Questions over both back up props though, we need to build more depth there in time for the RWC.

Sio is a certainty on the bench if fit............ and then you've got some reliable options in Robinson and Cowan.

A the moment Alexander is still our next best TH, but after that we're boned............

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sio is a certainty on the bench if fit.... and then you've got some reliable options in Robinson and Cowan.

A the moment Alexander is still our next best TH, but after that we're boned....

Sio is good but the question there is what side the intend to play him on. I wasn't opposed to the switch to tight head they were working towards, but if he doesn't play there this year there might not be enough time. Easily the best option as a loose head backup, but I don't know if I'd call either of the others reliable atm.

Tight head as always remains a problem though, Alexander seems to be all over the place, starting the year quite well but more recently he's been a minor liability on the field, regardless of how solid his scrummaging is. I hope Laurie Weeks gets some decent time on the EOYT, so we can better see how he shapes up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sio is a certainty on the bench if fit.... and then you've got some reliable options in Robinson and Cowan.

A the moment Alexander is still our next best TH, but after that we're boned....

I thought Sio as well, and another year on.
Locks are my real concern, and I'd like to see some blooded on the end of year tour - and that'd include Luke Jones given he can also play 6.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Would love to see if, as the wallabies started to do, Sio can make the move to the hard side - THP. As others have said Alexander is off the pace.

Slipper and Keps are standout certainties for LH and Th respectively. Cowan and Robbo (maybe) backup LH and probably will do a reasonable job. TH is a different story.

Sio has the necessary arse and legs to be a good TH. Bloke is as strong as an ox and would be extremely competitive, once he has gained a bit of experience.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would love to see if, as the wallabies started to do, Sio can make the move to the hard side - THP. As others have said Alexander is off the pace.

Slipper and Keps are standout certainties for LH and Th respectively. Cowan and Robbo (maybe) backup LH and probably will do a reasonable job. TH is a different story.

Sio has the necessary arse and legs to be a good TH. Bloke is as strong as an ox and would be extremely competitive, once he has gained a bit of experience.

Scott is way ahead of both Robbo and Pek as backup LHP so moving him to TH would be detrimental imo. I have a lot of time for Paul Alo-Emile at TH and think he will make the grade to backup Kepu. Laurie Weeks is also another with promise.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Have known Paulie since he was in year 10 and have a lot of time for him as well. Trouble is that he doesn't regularly start at the Rebels wheras Laurie does.

Agree that Sio is ahead of the other 2 but Keps will "retire" sooner than Slipper and I reckon he would be run-on faster on the TH side. He also has the potential to be an absolute stand-out THP

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Wow, that's quite incredible. Lancaster hasn't really had more success than Johnson atm.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon the 2 most irreplaceable players for Australia at the RWC next year would be Slipper and Kepu. If both are fit we should have a strong scrum, if either is injured things get worrying, particularly at TH.

Folau is obviously important but if need be we have the depth in the backs to replace him.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Scott is way ahead of both Robbo and Pek as backup LHP so moving him to TH would be detrimental imo. I have a lot of time for Paul Alo-Emile at TH and think he will make the grade to backup Kepu. Laurie Weeks is also another with promise.

I agree I think Sio is still our first choice bench LH. I know the plan was to develop him as a THP, but I suspect that Link sees him as a LHP first and foremost.

For the RWC link seems to have two options:-
1) use one of his current LHPs as a 3rd choice TH (i.e. Sio); or
2) take a 3rd genuine THP.

Re option 2 above, the cupboard is pretty bare. Ryan has fallen out of favour for good reason - he wont make it. Weeks seem ok but yet to be truly tested and is quite limited around the ground - his absence during the RC means he's probably unlikely. Alo-Emile is perhaps a smokie, has been dominating at TH in the NRC. he'd have to have a massive Super season and he's currently stuck behind weeks at the Rebels - 2016 might be more realistics.

Looking at those options I'd probably prefer to see Sio given some time at TH on the EOYT and make him our TH/LH prop for the RWC.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
BTW does anyone know what the maximum squad size is for the RWC? I wonder whether they've extended to squad slightly given that teams now need 4 props in every game.

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
Here is my squad for next year, I have left Kurtley Beale out of the squad because I think he will got to the NRL or French rugby.

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sam Carter
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Israel Folau
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Benn Robinson
18. Ben Alexander
19. Will Skelton
20. David Pocock
21. Nick Phipps
22. Bernard Foley
23. Adam Ashley cooper

24. Saia Fainga'a
25. Scott Sio
26. James Horwill
27. Liam Gill
28. Scott Higginbotham
29. Nic White
30. Kyle Godwin
31. James O’Connor

32. Karmichael Hunt

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
I think if CFS can stay injury free and can get back to some good form, then he is a chance for that left wing spot. I thought Tomane was pretty poor on the weekend, particularly in defense.

T

Train Without a Station

JOC (James O'Connor) will likely start before CFS at the Reds if it comes down to the 2 of them.

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
I think CFS is a better fit on the left wing rather than JOC (James O'Connor). JOC (James O'Connor) is much more suited on the right wing and thats where I think he will be at the reds with turner moving to the bench.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK I'm starting here with my 'clean slate' 23 which assumes all players are fit and something close to their prior form..my other assumption is that the players' franchises are also going to play these players in the respective positions (back 3 excepted - you can arguably play up to 3 fullbacks). I will make changes to my 23 as time progresses.

I am also going to work on the premise that we fuck the 2nd playmaker thing off which clearly isn't working and go back to the older model of a pair of hard running centres (To'omua can play that way I reckon). Also, if Pocock and Hooper are both fit and in form for mine they both have to be in the side and therefore we go back to the left and right flanker model. If one is not fit then stay with the OS/BS model.

1. Slipper
2. Moore (C)
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Folau
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. O'Connor

16. Polota-Nau
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Horwill
20. Fardy
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Nothing overly contentious in there except for the flanker model and Folau on the wing which I have done because we have found out his kicking prowess isn't good enough - let him concentrate on making metres, he can always be brought into set plays regardless of the number on his back.

I also have a few other backs on my watchlist but the jury is out for now - Hunt, Kerevi, Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.