• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Every test is important and there is no way Kepu and Slipper would want to be rested.
They'd both be looking forward to the week off before the 3rd Bledisloe and then another week off before the EOYT starts but there's no way they'd want to sit out tests they'd rightfully be in the starting XV for.

At $10,000 a test for each player, who can't blame 'em?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would have thought Alo-Emile before Pae but as a Rebels supporter you would know better. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with Sio, and Weeks, bbut not sure about Pek. Could be convinced that Toby Smith could be better?

Paul Alo-Emile = PAE
i thought Smith might have been a chance also but for whatever reason doesn't seem to be rated by sobs selectors

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The reason is I reckon because unless they are a member of the FRU no one has any fucking idea about what prop plays what side best and who the best and second best of each side is either..complicated further by the fact that a lot of them seem to play one side for super rugby and then get picked on the other side for the wallabies! So in selecting these fictitious sides most either go with the incumbents or with whatever everyone else is doing! I hope that answers your question.

Just one thing though, didn't Cowan cop a lot of criticism during the RC? And why are Alexander and Robbo the back ups currently if you are right?

i personally thought Cowan did OK from what i could see.

i have absolutely NO idea why the other two keep getting selected. i wasn't a prop, so there are probably technical reasons why they are favoured over others. we should get a friendly journalist to ask Link why !

T

Train Without a Station

Alexander and Robinson have been part of some of our strongest scrum performances. I know it's a while ago but they were part of the demolition jobs we did at Twickenham in 2008? and 2010? I think were the years.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Alexander and Robinson have been part of some of our strongest scrum performances. I know it's a while ago but they were part of the demolition jobs we did at Twickenham in 2008? and 2010? I think were the years.

That was then, this is now.

Neither are dominating anything, scrum time or around the park.

The bus, as always, moves on to collect new commuters

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Sio will come right back into the squad when healthy and could move to the LHP bench spot immediately. Robinson has been fine off the bench in the last two tests though. His scrummaging hasn't been an issue. On that basis it would seem that Link has potentially pushed him ahead of Cowan again.

Alexander was a worry when he came on against Argentina at scrum time. The problem is that on a viewing of the Super Rugby season, there's nothing to suggest that any of the other reserve options are better. Longbottom would have probably got a crack at some point this season if he'd stuck around. Weeks, Ryan and Holmes haven't shown anything to suggest they should be ahead of Alexander now.

It's a tough gig though at THP. Alexander also came on against the reserve Pumas THP who has started most of the tournament and dominated scrums far better than ours.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Still reckon Sio could be a viable long term option at THP. Got a beautiful arse for it (and he is probably only going to get bigger). he is a strong man but whether he is capable of doing the hard work required at THP remains to be seen (if it ever will)

T

Train Without a Station

That was then, this is now.

Neither are dominating anything, scrum time or around the park.

The bus, as always, moves on to collect new commuters

It was just a comment as to what they have done to get selected over others. They've shown capability. Others have not. It would be a bigger risk to select other players as there's no evidence to suggest they would be able to perform.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair on Alexander his scrummaging has been strong the last couple of years, was really disappointed to see him go back to his old ways against Argentina. I think he will do a good-enough job, But I predict Sio could really do some damage come RWC time. Seems like a better option from the bench.

T

Train Without a Station

He's been the tighthead in a strong super rugby scrum. It would be foolish to think that Weeks, the tighthead in a weaker super rugby scrum would be better. Just because Alexander struggled, doesn't mean anybody else would just be better.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And also like everyone else Alexander was probably shattered at the end of a tiring 2 weeks on the road

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have long been a Ben Alexander fan, but imo he was always better on the LH side. But my concern against the Argies is that on the "Set" instruction his head and shoulders dropped way below his hips and backside. I gather from others on this forum who know about such things, that this is not a good position for a THP to be in, and to my viewing it certainly contributed to the collapsing of the front rows. I don't doubt that the opposite LH probably also contributed if he was binding under Ben's arm as someone else has pointed out. It just seems that Ben A may be too tall, or not have the correct body shape, for TH. Many of the better THs going round seem to be shorter, nuggety types. A bit more like Benn R.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alexander is pretty much the same height as Kepu (listed as 1cm taller). He's only 4cm taller than Owen Franks so I don't think he's ridiculously tall to be a THP.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Alexander is pretty much the same height as Kepu (listed as 1cm taller). He's only 4cm taller than Owen Franks so I don't think he's ridiculously tall to be a THP.

I can see a likeness between the body shapes of Ben and Kepu but Franks looks to be much thicker set and built lower to the ground. The fact that Ben is built similarly to Kepu probably indicates that he has some technical issues when packing and it's not just a matter of size and shape.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's been the tighthead in a strong super rugby scrum. It would be foolish to think that Weeks, the tighthead in a weaker super rugby scrum would be better. Just because Alexander struggled, doesn't mean anybody else would just be better.
Where do you get the idea that the Brumbies scrum is 'stronger' than the Rebels' scrum?

The Rebels, according the scrum success % stats on their own ball (in Super Rugby this year), were the 6th best scrum in the comp (behind the top Australian scrum of the Reds in 5th).

The Brumbies are dead last.

Link shouldn't be so easily discarding Holmes, Weekes and PAE.

T

Train Without a Station

Bairdy the brumbies are extremely weak with their reserve props on. Could be wrong but don't think they lost too many with Sio, Moore and Alexander on the park

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Purely from what I have seen, I think the Brumbies scrum is far superior to the Rebels scrum. The Brumbies were the only scrum to really trouble the Force's in 2014 and it performed very well in other games I saw.

Scrums are a funny thing and you can't rely on statistics to paint a picture of which scrum is dominant. Sometimes the dominant scrum gets penalised. Often I see weak scrums win sloppy own ball but get penalised on opposition ball or sent into reverse.

One thing on Alexander is that he came on at about the same time as Skelton, didn't he? And was backed up by Skelton, wasn't he? Pretty sure a few Waratahs fans mentioned their scrum went downhill when Skelton was on. Matches up with what I have seen too. At the moment Alexander is the best we have. I'd have loved to see Longbottom get a crack- but I doubt he'd have been any better. PAE is definitely one to watch next season but he will really need to be starting at the Rebels if he wants to be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.