• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What's his record like? Not good I think. Wasn't it him who walloped an Argentinian?

Yes, wasn't suspended for that one which looks like the higher level incident. That this is deemed to meet the red card threshold isn't a good sign.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Actually heard this was going to happen whilst I was out this afternoon. Burgess too. I tried scouring the replay for anything Pocock could be cited for but to no avail

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What's his record like? Not good I think. Wasn't it him who walloped an Argentinian?

I thought players were deemed to have "clean records" as far as RWC matters are concerned. I am not sure any past offences are taken at all into consideration.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought players were deemed to have "clean records" as far as RWC matters are concerned. I am not sure any past offences are taken at all into consideration.

I know you're usually better informed on these points than me but I could've sworn one of the other cases mentioned previous clean record as mitigation

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know you're usually better informed on these points than me but I could've sworn one of the other cases mentioned previous clean record as mitigation

Yeah, I'm not sure, but I seem to recall reading this last week regarding players all having clean slates. I just cannot remember where I read it. If past stuff is taken into account, Hooper will get no favours.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Nah. It was stupid. He lined himself up for the shot and left his feet to deliver it. In terms of Saturday, as I said earlier, I'd be happy if cheika took him aside and told him he was a prize tw@t. But IRB seems to be pretty scared to condone head shots.

The Hooper one in the gif? Sounds like we're not referring to the same incident...

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Indeed. But it would be ridiculous. Looks like a good cleanout to me.

I think Hooper's was worse than duPlessis. thought that was harsh. there was a point to what he was trying to do to free the ball. Mike Brown would have earned a penalty for coming round the ruck

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hooper will get off, no problem just a bit stupid, perhaps sir Bald was right, I'll get my coat,:rolleyes:

whilst we're on Lord Bald. Have you read Stephen Jones? Never disappoints in his stupidity (should ask him to change his name. easilly mistaken for one of us). He puts england malaise at feet of RFU for failure to appoint Lord Bald! they are not getting it!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I thought at the time that he was very very lucky not to get a yellow. I'm not surprised it got cited especially given the yellow given to Farrell later in the game....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought at the time that he was very very lucky not to get a yellow. I'm not surprised it got cited especially given the yellow given to Farrell later in the game..

That's the problem here.

If someone is lucky not to get a red card then it shouldn't be a surprise that they are cited.

If a red card wasn't on the table then it shouldn't be cited under World Rugby's own rules.

The incident was reviewed by the referee and TMO and considered being only worthy of a penalty.

Is this citing commissioner's view that this should be a red card? Should referees be adopting that practice?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's the problem here.

If someone is lucky not to get a red card then it shouldn't be a surprise that they are cited.

If a red card wasn't on the table then it shouldn't be cited under World Rugby's own rules.

The incident was reviewed by the referee and TMO and considered being only worthy of a penalty.

Is this citing commissioner's view that this should be a red card? Should referees be adopting that practice?

It's a good point. However, we are talking about Poite here who on several the afternoon seemed seemed to soil his shorts at the idea of any sanction whatsoever. It was the TMO who insisted Farrell went and Poite did nothing about Burgess. I think that the commissioner might feel our favourite frenchman did not uphold the laws on the field to the extent they warranted

Status
Not open for further replies.