• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC FINAL - New Zealand vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm sure if the opportunity presents itself accidents will happen but the french are screwed (...) if that's their gameplan.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Okay, some pre-match thoughts from a nervous AB supporter.

I think this is going to be an epic final. I think this will be a treat for anyone fortunate to watch it, and the only people who will be dissappointed come the final whistle will be the supporters of the losing team. Whilst my nerves would love a big All Black win, I don’t think fate will be so kind to Kiwis. And if we do win, I expect it to be by only a few points.

Whichever team best handles the extreme pressure and the emotion of this game will have a great advantage over the first 10-20 minutes, and will probably win the game. The All Blacks have looked relaxed and composed all week, but they will be under immense pressure come kickoff. A good start is imperative for both teams. If the French can start well then their self belief and confidence will soar. Conversely if the Abs start well I think French heads and spirits will drop. If the French are still within sight by half time then look out, because the Abs might start doubting themselves and that’ll be all this talented French team needs to gain the upper hand.

I have a bad feeling that injuries are going to play a role. Both teams have had long arduous campaigns, and both squads are carrying injured players. I am worried that both Read and McCaw have had serious injury concerns all season. Moreover, I think the Abs bench is relatively weaker than it has been in years gone by. Any injuries, especially to Read, McCaw, Weepu, Nonu, Thorn, Smith, Kaino or Franks could be devastating to NZ’s chances. I’m not sure why I have this feeling that injury will have a big impact on this game, but I do.

As is usually the case the battle of the breakdown will be match defining. And this will be largely decided by the tactics the teams employ and which team can gain momentum and get go-forward ball. I greatly respect the French backrow, and I think if they are supported by their mobile tight five, and the All Blacks fail to commit sufficient numbers to the breakdown (like what happened in the first half of this year's Brisbane 3N test), then the breakdown could be an area of concern for NZ. We all know how the French pack will approach this game. They will come out breathing fire, and will look to be as physical and aggressive as possible in the collisions. The AB pack needs to match their aggression and enthusiasm if we are to have a chance. Our tight five have operated well in general play all tournament, but tonight they will need to lift their game yet again, and provide support for our loosies at the breakdown.

Despite the the lack of success that the Wallabies had with the high kick, I think the French will look to test out Dagg and Kahui early. Nerves can do strange things to players, and the French short kicking game is a definite strong point. Our back three will need to communicate well, support each other, and show composure and accuracy.

France’s defense has been immense over the past few games, and I have no doubt that the Abs will have their work cut out penetrating the Bleu wall. Also, they will need to have some plans to counter the French line speed, including short kicks , inside balls and using the blind side. France’s defense against Wales reminded me a lot of their heroic defensive effort in Cardiff back in 2007, and like on that fateful day I fear the Abs are going to struggle to pierce a committed French defensive system.

Craig Joubert is clearly the best referee in rugby right now and his appointment to this match has been widely applauded. I think the French will want him to keep a very close eye on the ABs scrum, especially Woodcock's tendency to collapse and/or drop his bind on the oppositions feed. Whilst the ABs will be desperate for him to police the ruck, especially French players slowing down All Black ball in attack.

Overall, I think this game will be won by the team which works the hardest and plays with the most composure. Winnings RWCs is about executing basic skills and gameplans under immense pressure, and the team that can do this best will win. I’m nervous as hell, but I expect the Abs to win. However I have no doubt whatsoever that this talented French team will be well and truly ‘up’ for this game, and if they play their best rugby they will win.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It is fair game, it isn't tiddlywinks, if the kiwis want to send an injured player out, that is their perogative, however the French are under no obligation to play nice. As long as the tactics used by the french aren't illegal, then go for it, an accidental step on his foot here, there and everywhere, all is fair in love and war. But then again even if they are illegal who cares, as it's not as if the Kiwis won't be offside all night at the breakdown, I say go for it France, always attack the weakest link, and in this case it is McCaws foot.

I would have thought that stomping on any part of a player's body was both illegal, and not in the spirit of the game. Whilst I would expect every team to target McCaw's foot, I am surprised that the French defensive coach Dave Ellis said this to the media, albeit he was most likely tongue-in-cheek.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A fairly balanced summary AC. I think you are just one of 4 million other very nervous buggers across the Dutch.

On paper the Darkness will win and win handsomely thank you very much.

The cruel mistress of Rugby often sees things different to what is written on paper. That is the beauty of our game. They team that most wants to win the game, has the players, skills and LUCK, and executes their game plan better than the opponent will win.

If the Darkness does not shut this game down in the first 10 minutes, then Les Frogge have a good chance of lifting Bill, and I won't have to change my avatar.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The only thing France have going for them today is absolutely no pressure what-so-ever. Everyone thinks they are gonna get smashed.

It is the only reasonable assumption looking at past form, but hopefully France prove us all wrong somehow.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A fairly balanced summary AC. I think you are just one of 4 million other very nervous buggers across the Dutch.

On paper the Darkness will win and win handsomely thank you very much.

The cruel mistress of Rugby often sees things different to what is written on paper. That is the beauty of our game. They team that most wants to win the game, has the players, skills and LUCK, and executes their game plan better than the opponent will win.

If the Darkness does not shut this game down in the first 10 minutes, then Les Frogge have a good chance of lifting Bill, and I won't have to change my avatar.

I agree that the firs 10-15 minutes is crucial. Emotions will be running high and the ABs will be under extreme pressure. If they are slow out of the blocks and the French get a sniff, it could set the rest of the game up to be an intense, close affair. I think this will be a close, tight match and it will be decided by a few key plays and key errors.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Power outage hits Kingsland... There'll be riots if they can't get that sorted out fast....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10761114

Power has gone out at packed bars near Eden Park, just hours out from kickoff for the Rugby World Cup final.

The Kingslander and Neighbourhood are among the bars reportedly affected by the power cut to 240 properties around Kinglsand.

A Vector spokeswoman said the outage had been caused by an underground cable fault at around 2:30pm.

She said workers had been delayed getting to the site of the outage because of large crowds waiting for tonight's final matchup between the All Blacks and France.

They were considering bringing in a generator to restore power urgently, she said.

"Underground cable faults can take a while to fix. We understand how critical this is so we've got to get it done as fast as possible."

Eden Park was run on a separate generator system and would not be affected by the outage, she said.

Vector was going to review what had caused the Kingsland fault

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Didn't Auckland go without power for a couple of weeks about 10 years ago?

Riots a certainty if there is no power AND Les Bleus win :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm on the All Blacks. They are, and have been, the best team in the tournament, and the world for some time. I really think they will have to be a fair bit below their best to lose, notwithstanding the French ability to pull anything out of their derrieres.
I hope it is won cleanly, and not by random acts of officiating, but with Joubert in charge that is less likely. He is the best ref for the job.
Good luck to both teams, and both sets of fans, but more to the ABs.
Kia kaha!

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I would have thought that stomping on any part of a player's body was both illegal, and not in the spirit of the game. Whilst I would expect every team to target McCaw's foot, I am surprised that the French defensive coach Dave Ellis said this to the media, albeit he was most likely tongue-in-cheek.

Twas a media beat up, nothing in it.
If you have an player with a weakness then you target that weakness.
I do seem to remember the ABs giving a certain aussie player's shoulder a good workout last weekend, it is just how it goes.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
R

RuckinGoodStats

What is of interest is which side of the field points are scored. Joubert has a preference for a side and it’s the side France like to run down.

Also like the semi Joubert and scrums are always interesting. He favours scrum infringements over scrum resets. Sometime he goes the other way, but it’s rare. If you have a look at the early points NZ put on Australia, or had the opportunity then you can see how Joubert’s preference plays out.

NZ showed they can play to Joubert with scrums. However they are up against a better scrum than in the semis. NZ concede infringements on the opposition’s feed and has a higher number of scrum resets than France. If Joubert refs a typical game then there are positives and negatives for both teams.

Think the stats say NZ need to play and convert territory and when they get into the French half so NZ they need to rumble it up. Say this for two reasons, the first is the French are 4 times mores likely to miss a tackle in their own half than in the opposition’s half; and secondly the French just don’t give many penalties away in their own half. As Wales and England found out you need tries to beat the French. 61 minuste before England got a kick at the posts and that was a conversion.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Also interesting to see Fanzone on wharf is packed to rafters already, having to open Cooks Wharf to handle the people, hell what a party!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I hope that they have the Army on standby to cover the situation if the Darkness lose.

There probs is not enough cops around to deal with 200 000 drunk and really angry kiwis.

From Andrew Mehrtens in the NZ Herald (or his ghost writer)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10761053
The traditional Gallic shrug is perfect for the Frenchman asked to rationalise the wins over the All Blacks in 1999 or 2007. To him it was just a natural tumble of the dice, and the romance of sport.

To me, three important ingredients were all present to produce this type of unexpected result.

First, self-liberation. The French coaching system favours dominant personalities as coaches who castigate and berate their players, without really educating them. When the players decide to play for themselves, disregarding their narrow instructions and primitive strategies, they thrive on the joy of living in the moment and freedom of expression that comes from playing "naturally".

Second, their pack mentality. While Anglo-Saxon teams will pull together to cover guys who are having an off day, French players tend to drop their heads a little when others around them commit errors. When they realise that everyone is up for it however, anything is possible.

Third, their physicality. French rugby is based on the combat, the forward battle: scrum, maul and ruck. When they feel they can bully a side physically, as happened to us in that second half in 1999, they grow a foot taller and feel invincible.

If these three factors all come together tonight, the French will be very difficult and it will still require a huge effort from the All Blacks to prevail.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It is fair game, it isn't tiddlywinks, if the kiwis want to send an injured player out, that is their perogative, however the French are under no obligation to play nice. As long as the tactics used by the french aren't illegal, then go for it, an accidental step on his foot here, there and everywhere, all is fair in love and war. But then again even if they are illegal who cares, as it's not as if the Kiwis won't be offside all night at the breakdown, I say go for it France, always attack the weakest link, and in this case it is McCaws foot.

This bloke should know - as the architect of much skullduggery from the past
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10761046
Sneaky French tactics a thing of the past
By Richard Loe

I don't think there is any way the French will come out employing filth against the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup final tonight.

Some think they may use that as shock tactics - and you've got to say they have done so before against the All Blacks, beating us in Nantes in 1986 and in 1999 at the Rugby World Cup.

But the game has changed so much, it is so well policed now; anyone trying the nasty stuff will get caught quickly. The game can turn even on a yellow card, let alone a red and all professional players know that; even the French.....

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Are any Aussie fans on here having a hard time getting excited about this here final?

Honestly, I just feel so flat that I just can't seem to get into rugby nut mode.

I guess it has not helped that my Kiwi friends just dumped a whole lot of shit on me all week, (friend is a word that I will revisit with this lot when they have calmed down) for not wanting to jump up and down with them.

Irony is that in 2003 I respectfully left them be, cause they were hurting bad. I even took my Wallaby flag down for five whole days so they did not have to look at it. I could have run about screaming FOUR MORE YEARS at the top of my lungs like they have all week and all the other shit, but I did not.

So, sure, I know exactly how kiwis felt after the semis in 2003.
I have just not been able to bounce back at all.
It does not mean I am a one eyed so and so who does not appreciate rugby.
It does not mean I am a sore loser; we were not good enough to win.
So go win the farking thing ABs and if it is at all possible, TRY and be a tiny bit gracious about it.

painful whinge over and out

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I hope that they have the Army on standby to cover the situation if the Darkness lose.
... quote clipped...

NZ and Army.... lol... what army.

I think NZ pulled the entire navy back to port three weeks ago but have sent the couple of tug boatsoff again.
I guess they did not want to add drunken sailors to the rabble.

Bugger Auckland, my own back yard will be bloody Maori Tangi if they lose, I don't think I could stand it. They better win.

Status
Not open for further replies.