• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final Qualifier 2: Crusaders v Sharks: Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bryce Lawrence is almost as one sided as Stu Dickinson was in the Reds Saders game.

As I've said earlier I dont think Bryce is being as bad as some are making out but in general across all games I believe in the use of neutral referees when two teams of different countries meet, I'm sure most people would agree with that.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Referee talk is all BS. Maybe the scoreboard would have been closer with fewer penalties but overall the better team won. Points differential means nothing in finals, no point jumping up and down about the ref when the Sharks were outplayed. Well done Crusaders, enjoy the trip to Cape Town.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Referee talk is all BS. Maybe the scoreboard would have been closer with fewer penalties but overall the better team won. Points differential means nothing in finals, no point jumping up and down about the ref when the Sharks were outplayed. Well done Crusaders, enjoy the trip to Cape Town.

Completely agree. I'm also hoping for a Reds/Saders final for mine but the Stormers are going to be tough and certainly the fav's in that game rested and at home. I'd be very surprised if the Reds didnt topple the Blues.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)

Yes, the Crusaders would have won anyway. But still the referee was pretty bad. I cheer for the Crusaders, but this was just embarassing. I'm just glad the game wasn't decided by one stupid decision.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting semis lined up now. Stormers v Crusaders in cape town will be a belter. Crusaders are always dangerous come finals time, but the travel factor may weight on them next week.

Blues v reds at suncorp should also be a great game. Far from a given for the reds. Hopefully they'll have more of their front line personnel back and ready to go and a good vocal home crowd behind them too. Go reds!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting semis lined up now. Stormers v Crusaders in cape town will be a belter. Crusaders are always dangerous come finals time, but the travel factor may weight on them next week.

Blues v reds at suncorp should also be a great game. Far from a given for the reds. Hopefully they'll have more of their front line personnel back and ready to go and a good vocal home crowd behind them too. Go reds!

Yep I think the travel may be an issue I remember that game v the Bulls last year in SA and the talk about travel was about then too (although it was against the bulls who were playing well). As I said I reckon the Reds should see off the Blues but you know the Blues maybe they'll fire up? Hard to tip them though.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Yes, the Crusaders would have won anyway. But still the referee was pretty bad. I cheer for the Crusaders, but this was just embarassing. I'm just glad the game wasn't decided by one stupid decision.
Lawrence has the final...

R

RuckinGoodStats

Missed tackles were key. The Sharks missed 24 or 1 out of every 5 tackles attempts. The Crusaders missed 10 or 1 out of every 8 tackle attempts.

Handling errors were a feature of a dry game. The Sharks made 12 handling errors to the Crusaders 9.

In the 2nd half the Sharks spent 2% inside the Crusaders 22, compared with the 29% that the Crusaders spent inside the Sharks 22.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Not a great game for a Sharks supporter, too many handling errors and didn't seem enough commitment on defending the offloads, which everyone knew would come. Crusaders were just too good, difficult to see a Sharks win even if they had cut the handling errors.

One thing I would like to see policed better is the side entry to rucks, as well as the players who join from the correct side but then 'accidentally' slide round the side of the ruck and fall on the wrong side. Slows good attacking ball down. I guess you could call it smart play but I prefer to call it cheating and would like to see refs picking this up.

Well done Crusaders, I think they even have another gear if pressed, will be difficult to beat.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
NZ commentators where talking about the game just meandering along in the first half, did anyone else see this? Both sides weren't really executing a gameplan and had no real direction, it was almost schoolboy tactics at times, as if there wasn't really an objective, they weren't moving the ball with purpose.

I think if the 'Saders do that against the Stormers they could well lose.

Crowds are obviously a problem in NZ. There are a variety of reasons for this.

Both Semifinals will have 50000 attending so no worries from here on in

A

antipodean

As predicted, the travel after a mighty effort against the Bulls hindered the Sharks. They weren't helped early on by the referee whose pedantic nitpicking robbed them of early momentum. Bryce Lawrence adjudicates without a feel for the match, relying heavily on strict interpretation of some laws and a mystifying dismissal of others. His enforcement of the breakdown is schizophrenic. He must be frustrating to play with, because he annoys the shit out of me as an observer, but I digress.

An armwrestle in the first half hour marked by two teams seeking to not make mistakes. The Sharks with dominance at the breakdown and a brilliant break by the Sharks halfback to set up the first try. The game opened up after a magnificent effort by Maitland to put SBW over. A poor long pass looking to take advantage of an overlap was swooped on by Keiran Read and the game was now beyond the Sharks.

The Crusaders will want to send an extra man or two to the breakdown next week as the Stormers will have noticed who well the Sharks exposed the Crusaders early on - too busy setting up for the next phase of their continuity play. It seemed to me that the Sharks numbers weren't joining their first man from behind the last feet, rather from the side, but behind their man enough for the referee to ignore the gate. Kudos to them, if the ref doesn't mind, it's legal.

Quick thumbs up to the Shark's skipper, Stefan Terblanche whose gracious and eloquent losing speech couldn't be more different to Phil Waugh's effort 24 hours previous.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Lawrence was pretty good, from my neutral point of view. If anything he was lenient for both sides at the ruck with the Sharks going off their feet or playing the ball off their feet with feet and hands and the Crusaders doing their usual trick of having tacklers/assist tacklers loiter past the ruck impeding defenders from joining. All in all I think the Sharks played their best game of the year against the Bulls last week but were poor for most of the season. They played well for 20 minutes of this game but dropped away.

I have to ask in all seriousness is Bismark Du Plesis deaf? In almost every game he plays on at least once well after the whistle when every other player on the field has stopped and even the crowd has gone quiet. Sooner or later he is going to hurt somebody from tackling somebody after the whistle who has relaxed and is not ready for the contact.

As a Wallabies supporter I hope that Jannie Du Plesis is THP for the Bok, with Smit the hooker that will be a fragile scrum.

R

Redsben

The Ref was no worse than the first bloke that let William Webb Ellis run with it in the 19th century. Are we still talking about them?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sharks started to dominate scrums when Smit came on. Even won a tighthead.

Did Smit play against Tahs last month? Can't remember every detail but Shorks scrum seemed to get crunched at Kings Park that game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not a great game for a Sharks supporter, too many handling errors and didn't seem enough commitment on defending the offloads, which everyone knew would come. Crusaders were just too good, difficult to see a Sharks win even if they had cut the handling errors.

One thing I would like to see policed better is the side entry to rucks, as well as the players who join from the correct side but then 'accidentally' slide round the side of the ruck and fall on the wrong side. Slows good attacking ball down. I guess you could call it smart play but I prefer to call it cheating and would like to see refs picking this up.

Well done Crusaders, I think they even have another gear if pressed, will be difficult to beat.

Referees definitely ignore this one too often...

New Zealand were doing it at nearly every ruck in the Junior World Cup semi last week... but as they had the dominant pack they seemed to be allowed to get away with it...

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Referees definitely ignore this one too often...

New Zealand were doing it at nearly every ruck in the Junior World Cup semi last week... but as they had the dominant pack they seemed to be allowed to get away with it...

Funny enough I also had that game in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.