• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and besides, grade cricket is part of the legitimate development path for cricket in Australia. it has some prestige about it. Test and state players actually play it.

Subbies footy is, you know, sub-standard. That's where they get the name from isn't it?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Noddy said:
are grade cricketers getting paid $6k-$12k?

Yes, some players are only really state and international players though(not usually the Australian ones, usually the overseas players who are out here to perform!)

Quite a few get more though as Cricket NSW gives a coaching grant of about $14,000 each season which you must spend on coaching this is used by a lot of clubs to get that high quality player with a bit of an add on.

I know Grant Lambert knocked back $35,000 from a club. A lot of young International and state reps from the country(NSW Country Opens, NSW U19's & NSW U17's) are offered units and jobs by the richer clubs(Easts, Randwick) & then Sydney Uni & UNSW obviously can sort out scholarships,jobs & units for barely anything at their expense due to the uni having these facilities arranged for them.

Saying that most clubs give win bonuses & fees paid but not all first graders neccessarily get this but at those richer clubs mentioned above a lot of second graders get them as well.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Noddy said:
and besides, grade cricket is part of the legitimate development path for cricket in Australia. it has some prestige about it. Test and state players actually play it.

Subbies footy is, you know, sub-standard. That's where they get the name from isn't it?

Yeah I get what you mean, I was just pointing out the fact Grade Cricket isn't on TV etc.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
As far as I am aware the three main spenders in 1st Division are St Pats, Knox and the Dirty Reds.

Money comes from sponsors, but what the sponsors get in return is highly questionable. Most clubs get some money from the pub they associate with and then maybe some money if any of the players own a company or can wrangle their boss into giving something in return for a badge on the jersey. I dont think any companies expect much of a return on their investment. They obviously have some influential old players or get considerable press in their local papers. From my experience in playing in subbies the teams that play players have pretty poor club cultures but each to their own I guess.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
gambler - you playing Subbies this year?

Regarding the Dirty Reds, the story I first heard was that the money came from sponsorship, and mostly from companies run or owned by ex-players/people close to the club. Quite common for Subbies clubs...

I can tell you that plenty of other Subbies clubs struggle for sponsorship, and apart from a local pub (where the return promise is that the players will go after most games) most sponsorships are similar to that of Drummoyne: companies that have some to link someone involved or formerly involved in the club, and the money involved is generally small. As the gambler said, the return on the sponsorhsip is questionable.

Most Subbies clubs make most of their money (which is all "invested" back into the club) from the (overpriced!) canteen sales at home games.

I have heard stories how fringe Dirty Reds 1st graders who were not paid would leave the club in frustration, hence why their lower grades generally suck. Can't verify it though, apart from saying: their lower grades generally suck.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
PS I saw on the Two Blues thread that they only pay $150 per year for fees. Is that really the case? Subbies clubs generally charge more in fees (out of necessity)...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Souths fees for 2010 are $275, seemed very pricey to me but I haven't played for 10 years now.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Ash said:
PS I saw on the Two Blues thread that they only pay $150 per year for fees. Is that really the case? Subbies clubs generally charge more in fees (out of necessity)...

Yeah that's what their colts are paying. Im not sure what they recieve I know they get a dress shirt not sure if they get the jersey...

Eastwood was like $350 apparently...

Not that I care my grade cricket club charges $400 for students($300 for Under 16,$500 for non students) , but I suppose cricket's a bit different as you are hiring a ground for a day for 22 players not hundreds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades charging $150 this year after $50 in the first year (2007) and $100 per year thereafter. Luckily we have a good major sponsor and a manufacturer as our gear sponsor.

I know Subbies clubs who are charging $250+, which seems a little steep, but then I know someone playing softball who will be charged $180 for playing and then another $150 for gear.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Ash - Dont plan on playing too much this year. The broken coccyx in the last game of the season last year was a massive pain in the arse. I have said I might pick and choose my games (only play the white teams near the bottom of the table) so I might play against your boys if you are still at UNSW.

Think our subs are at about $160 and that only covers shorts and socks. No shirts or any other gear but we are struggling for sponsors and give students a pretty decent discount ($100).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
All UNSW teams made the finals last year and two make the grand finals (1sts and 4ths), but I am not too sure that we went too well last weekend in the first round of the season against Hunters Hill. I was supposed to play but couldn't make it. Somes grades look stronger, and some look weaker so I wouldn't guarantee that UNSW will be near the bottom of the table ;) edit: I would of course be in the lowest grade (being fat, unfit and rather useless)! There may be a 5ths too, but will probably be mostly full of players from colts and 4ths backing up (and losers like me who may be dropped from 4ths).

UNSW subs are around $280ish I think for a polo shirt, shorts and socks. Cheaper for students and members of UNSW Sport. Amount varies from year to year depending on the amount of gear (jerseys, balls, etc) that the club needs to resupply and $280 is on the higher side. Training shirts etc are sometimes included from year to year too and strapping tape, sunscreen, etc and all supplied for by the club on weekends.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
So I'm actually running a profit just propping myself up at a bar at the pub then ? Good to know !

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Teams have been announced for round two of the 2010 Tooheys New Shute Shield to be played on Saturday 17 April.
Tooheys New Shute Shield
Tooheys New Shute Shield
2010 TOOHEYS NEW SHUTE SHIELD
Round 2 - 17 April 2010

SOUTHERN DISTRICTS v MANLY at Forshaw Rugby Park (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. Sam Zlatevski, 3. John Ulugia; 4. Nifo Nifo, 5. Sitaleki Timani; 6. Matt Trouville, 7. Jono Hayes, 8. Ita Luitiene; 9. Nathan Sievert, 10. Josh Gamgee; 11. Nicky Price, 12. Brackin Karauria-Henry, 13. Ben Schreiber, 14. Sisa Waqa; 15. Marshall Milroy.
Manly: 1. Selesi Manu, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Eddie Aholelei; 4. Greg Peterson, 5. Caydern Neville; 6. Dylan Sigg, 7. Will Brame [c], 8. Marlon Solofuti; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Ben Seymour; 11. Lui Siale, 12. Alex Miles, 13. John Fakai, 14. Nemani Nadolo; 15. Adam D'Arcy.
Referee: Angus Gardner

NORTHERN SUBURBS v EASTWOOD at North Sydney Oval (3:00pm)
Northern Suburbs: 1. Nathan Rickard, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Nick Lah [c]; 4. Rory Walton, 5. Ben Matwijow; 6. Seti Tafua, 7. Carlos Blanco, 8. Mat Lamont; 9. Steve Evans, 10. Pete Smith; 11. Cam Crawford, 12. Chris Moore, 13. James Lew, 14. Junior Kolikata; 15. Ben Borg.
Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Barry Fa'amuasili; 4. Tom Alexander, 5. Jared Hanna; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], 8. Locky McCaffrey; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. James Foote; 11. Cameron Mitchell, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. Barney Wood.
Referee: Nathan Pearce

EASTERN SUBURBS v WEST HARBOUR at Woollahra Oval (3:00pm)
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga'anuku, 2. Jessie Davidson, 3. Rob McMickan; 4. Phil Mathers, 5. Matt McGann; 6. Richard Stanford, 7. Will Brock, 8. Pauliasi Taumeopeau; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Ben Ward; 11. Anton LaVin, 12. Tim Corcoran, 13. Lloyd Jones, 14. Gavin Debartolo; 15. Pat Dellit.
West Harbour: 1.Campese Ma'afu, 2. Todd Pearce, 3. Joe Afualo; 4. David Fungalei, 5. Sitiveni Mafi; 6. Sam Latunipulu, 7. Mark Porpiglia, 8. Isaiah Pine [c]; 9. Jeremy Su'a, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Tito Mua, 12. Henry Seavula, 13. Rory Sidey, 14. Damien Fakafanua; 15. Nick Reily.
Referee: James Leckie

WARRINGAH v GORDON at Pittwater Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Warringah: 1. Pingi Talaapitaga, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Chris Thomson, 5. Hugh Pyle; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Michael Lipman, 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Josh Holmes, 10. John Kennedy; 11. Ed Doyle, 12. Haig Sare, 13. Will Sare, 14. Dylan Smouha; 15. Maurice Kennedy.
Gordon: 1. Marty Plokstys, 2. Nath Nicol, 3. Lamarn Ma'a; 4. Ed Gower, 5. Kingsley Seale; 6. Craig Thomas, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Paulie Tuala; 9. Vinnie Byrne, 10. Dave Harvey; 11. Greg Wade, 12. Josh Keil, 13. Matt McDougall, 14. Terry Preston; 15. Mark Preston.
Referee: Steve Hardy

PARRAMATTA v SYDNEY UNIVERSITY at Granville Park (3:00pm)
Parramatta: 1.Junior Leota, 2. Jono Ede, 3. Tor Killman; 4. Ben Fainga'a, 5. Sam Evalu; 6. Ropati Matangi, 7. Andrew Cox [c], 8. Maile Latukefu; 9. Brett Gillett, 10. Ben Gilbert; 11. Jesse Leota, 12. John Fonua, 13. Richard Williams, 14. Mark Frost; 15. Brendan Lane.
Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Sam Roberson, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Sam Carter, 5. Dave McDuling; 6. Adam Campbell [c], 7. Pat McCutcheon, 8. Trent Dyer; 9. Matt Schwager, 10. Josh Dillon; 11. Peter Betham, 12. Alex Rokobaro, 13. Michael Hodge, 14. Ed Jenkins; 15. Jacob Taylor.
Referee: Daniel Cheever

RANDWICK v PENRITH at Coogee Oval (3:00pm)
Randwick: 1. Daniel Spencer, 2. Atonio Halangahu [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Will Crutchley, 5. Ross Kennedy; 6. Henry Vanderglas; 7. Stephen Bennie, 8. Neil Meyer; 9. Danny Kroll, 10. Brent Kelly; 11. Bernie Orbell, 12. Dane Inman, 13. Gene Fairbanks, 14. Dave Dillon; 15. Toby Browne.
Penrith: 1. Dave Coventry, 2. Matt Borg, 3. Toa Asa; 4. Johnny Smith, 5. Wayne McDonald; 6. Winnie Paulo, 7. Junior To'o, 8. Chris Aho; 9. Sikuti Vunipola, 10. Gavin Duncan; 11. Leon Bott, 12. Stan Tuionuku, 13. Dave Alo, 14. Filipo Toala; 15. Luke Cross.
Referee: Anthony Moyes
REPRESENTATIVE PLAYERS FEATURED THIS ROUND
HSBC Waratahs: Chris Alcock (Gordon), Josh Holmes (Warringah), Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood), Nemani Nadolo (Manly), Rory Sidey (West Harbour), Chris Thomson (Warringah)
HSBC Junior Waratahs (Professional): Tim Bennetts (Eastwood), Adam D'Arcy (Manly), Ofa Fainga'anuku (Eastern Suburbs), Ed Jenkins (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Greg Peterson (Manly), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
Brumbies: Henry Vanderglas (Randwick), Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Sydney University)
Western Force: Haig Sare (Warringah)
Australian Sevens (2009/10): Talalelei Gray (Eastern Suburbs), Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts), Sam Latunipulu (West Harbour), Jacob Taylor (Sydney University)

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I doubt subbies clubs have the money to actually pay players... and if so what is the point? There is no financial gain/ any seeable gain from paying players..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
TV Game - Southern Districts v Manly

If anybody wants to have a look at 21 y.o. Oz Sevens player, Brackin Karauria-Henry, in the 15-man game, and I'm one, he is playing in the TV game for Southern Districts. Nicky Price is playing on the wing in his team also.

There are some interesting players in the Manly team as well: Tahs winger NN; Salesi Manu, 2008 Oz Schools LHP starting in 1st Grade for the first time IIRR, star 2009 Oz Schools lock Greg Peterson - from the Tahs pro Academy; and fullback Adam D'Arcy, ditto.

And have a look at young Manly flyhalf Ben Seymour also. He has looked good for the Junior Waratahs team this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:

If anybody wants to have a look at 21 y.o. Oz Sevens player, Brackin Karauria-Henry, in the 15-man game, and I'm one, he is playing in the TV game for Southern Districts. Nicky Price is playing on the wing in his team also.

they could watch the Brumbies game too on friday night. He's on the bench! ;)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Noddy said:
Lee Grant said:

they could watch the Brumbies game too on friday night. He's on the bench! ;)

What position would he play if he comes on? Back three, im assuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.