• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
In case anyone was interested. Uni just scored and now lead manly 7-0 with 19 minutes gone.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
26 minutes gone Sydney Uni now 14 Manly 3.

#6 Manly in Under the sticks, score now Uni 14 Manly 10 with 29 minutes gone

36 minutes now. Manly (ripia) just kicked Penalty now 14 - 13

Funniest News is it has finally been revealed that Props do have Hammies. #1 for Manly has just left with Hamstring Strain. I thought that front rowers had their hammies removed at birth.

Half time on ABC: Uni 14 Manly 13

Louise Ransome in 1/2 time Rugby Wrap
"Broadcast restrictions prevent us from showing any footage from last night Wallabies Game. Given the score that may not be such a bad thing...." or similar

13 man driving maul from uni, or so it seemed, Robeson #2 scores, Hangers converts. 8 minutes gone 2nd half Uni 21 Manly 13

22 minutes gone 2nd half. Ripia success with PK. Uni = 21 Manly = 16

Now 32 minutes gone. Uni have kicked something (just popped across to fox to see Poms in white jumpers with numbers staying on this time! v Georgia 14-3 30 min gone) Uni now 24 Manly 16.

Looking more and more like Woodies vs Uni next week in Shute Shield GF.

37 minutes gone. 'nother rolling maul try to Students converted by Hangers. Manly headed for Mad Monday. Uni 31 Man 16

Full Time: Job Done,

Uni 31 - Manly 16

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Uni 31 - Manly 16

Woodies would be excited by that game, Uni look very beatable. They aren't as physically imposing up front as in previous seasons and lack the trademark Uni control - plenty of ball spewing out of rucks etc.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
How many 1st choice "Students" are on International Duties?

This would impact on the "traditional Uni control".

The woodies would be happy.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Woodies would be excited by that game, Uni look very beatable. They aren't as physically imposing up front as in previous seasons and lack the trademark Uni control - plenty of ball spewing out of rucks etc.

Manly had a very good crack at it. Their impact in the tackle was immense, eclipsed Uni's, but their breakdown support was too slow or too few to control the ball when they had it.

I thought they should have kicked for touch more, the 3 points were only keeping them in the game when they needed to grip it by the jugular.

Manly's scrum was great, they had the wood on Uni but once one of their starting props (I've forgotten the name) had to leave the field through injury Uni got the dominance.

I think Eastwood have the potential to win this if their forwards play to their full potential. It will be won or lost at the coalface, in particular the scrum and breakdown support.

Oh and McCutcheon had a great game, first time I've seen him live up to the hype. Ripia was classy in combination with Seymour at times.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Its a pity the Shute Shield Final isn't a bigger event imagine the ways this one could be marketed.
Sydney Uni Vs Eastwood

East Vs West
Premiers Vs Minor Premiers
Rich Vs Poor
Boring Vs Entertainers
Structure Vs Ad Lib
Waratahs Vs All sorts
Full time coaches Vs Part Time Coaches

Should be a cracking game. I hope they get a crowd at Concord, Eastwood always have strong support and Concord isn't a huge trip for the Uni fans.

C

CoachTB

Have also heard the Parra coach is heading to West Harbour next year......Lindommer, can you confirm or deny?

Very unlikely to happen. Word is Parra is ready to go with a senior squad and an academy squad in off season programs beginning in November. Very organised at Granville and ready to continue growth. Hardly the actions of a Head Coach about to head to a close rival.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Very unlikely to happen. Word is Parra is ready to go with a senior squad and an academy squad in off season programs beginning in November. Very organised at Granville and ready to continue growth. Hardly the actions of a Head Coach about to head to a close rival.

Good to hear. Having been at Manly oval in Round 3 this year, I can honestly say the Marlins were very lucky to get away with the win. And to be honest, from other comments here, West Harbour seem to have some internal issues themselves, so why would a coach who has clearly transformed one of their fiercest rivals then leave without the job finished. I hope the Two Blues Coach stay for 3 more years or more.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That isn't the best ever Sydney Uni side to me, if Eastwood's set piece holds up they should be good enough I reckon

EASTWOOD v SYDNEY UNIVERSITY
Saturday 24 September 2011
Concord Oval
Kick-off: 3:10pm AEST
Television: Live on ABC1 (NSW/ACT) from 3:00pm AEST

EASTWOOD
1. Kieran Longbottom, 2. Damien Fitzpatrick, 3. Barry Fa’amuasili; 4. Mitch Lees, 5. Ben Hand; 6. Hugh Perrett [c], 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Locky McCaffrey; 9. Nic White, 10. Pierre Hola; 11. Lachie Turner, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. Ben Batger.
Reserves: 16. Chris Hill, 17. Matt Dunning, 18. Gareth Palamo, 19. Chris Dan, 20. James Stannard, 21. Jack Hammond, 22. Mark Frost, 23. Marty Plokstys.
SYDNEY UNIVERSITY
1. Sam Talakai, 2. Sam Roberson, 3. Jeremy Tilse; 4. Dean Mumm, 5. Dave Dennis; 6. Tim Davidson [c], 7. Jono Jenkins, 8. Pat McCutcheon; 9. Matt Schwager, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Michael Hodge, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Tom Kingtson, 14. Nathan Trist; 15. Bernard Foley.
Reserves: 16. Kirwan Sanday, 17. Paddy Ryan, 18. Sam Carter, 19. Phil Waugh, 20. Nick Stirzacker, 21. Angus Roberts, 22. Alfie Mafi, 23 Matt Mafi.

There are some great battles in the backs

Sione Piukala Vs Tom Carter
Tim Bennetts Vs Tom Kingtson

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eastwood will really miss Tom Alexander. But that Woodies pack is pretty good even without him - I would be more worried about the mobility of the Uni pack than the set pieces.

We are travelling down to watch the match. I really hope this is a good, clean, open game with no controversies and no injuries.

And of course, like the vast majority of rugby supporters, I hope the Woodies win the daily double, ones and twos.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
And of course, like the vast majority of rugby supporters, I hope the Woodies win the daily double, ones and twos.

I think Souths will get up in Twos as Eastwood have 5 front rowers in their named pack and Souths are in good form but Eastwood could still get a daily double of 1st Grade and Colts 1. I suspect that any club would prefer to win Colts 1 over 2nd Grade.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think Souths will get up in Twos as Eastwood have 5 front rowers in their named pack and Souths are in good form but Eastwood could still get a daily double of 1st Grade and Colts 1. I suspect that any club would prefer to win Colts 1 over 2nd Grade.

I understand your sentiments re 2nd grade v 1 st grade colts , but I disagree with your conclusion.
If you look at the stronger clubs in senior first grade , e.g. Sydney Uni , Eastwood , Manly , et al ,you will also see that they are amongst the main contenders in second grade.
You will also see that there are more potential first grade players in those second grade teams than there are in their first grade colts teams .
From my experience , only a minority of first grade colts players , go on to play senior first grade.I'm sure you will find that more second graders play some first grade , & in that
sense are more valuable to a club .

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am of the old school, my experience has always been that a strong club needs a strong reserve grade. Actually, I am absolutely overjoyed that Eastwood are in with a chance in all three games.

I go back to the days when we propped the competition up. From the bottom.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Grand Final should be an absolute cracker between the two stand out clubs from this years competition. Cannot wait to see the completely different styles clash and see which comes out on top. Lean towards Eastwood but it will be a mighty tussel. Really disappointed with the media coverage given in the lead up, I understand it is World Cup time but thought the rugby media could have provided a little coverage of the conclusion of the domestic competitions both Sydney and Brisbane. Thanks to Aunty at least the game can be seen by those unable to attend.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
That isn't the best ever Sydney Uni side to me, if Eastwood's set piece holds up they should be good enough I reckon

There are some great battles in the backs

Sione Piukala Vs Tom Carter
Tim Bennetts Vs Tom Kingtson

Interesting selection of Matt Dunning there. He signed for a French club, think it was Biarritz but don't quote me, and he actually failed a fitness test due to an on going neck injury. Wonder if the Eastwood insurers are aware of that.

Also Alfie Mafi for Uni on bench, was he on the bench last week? I'd heard a rumour he was off to West Harbour for $850 a game.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I understand your sentiments re 2nd grade v 1 st grade colts , but I disagree with your conclusion.
If you look at the stronger clubs in senior first grade , e.g. Sydney Uni , Eastwood , Manly , et al ,you will also see that they are amongst the main contenders in second grade.
You will also see that there are more potential first grade players in those second grade teams than there are in their first grade colts teams .
From my experience , only a minority of first grade colts players , go on to play senior first grade.I'm sure you will find that more second graders play some first grade , & in that
sense are more valuable to a club .

I agree with your sentiments that there are more future 1st Graders in 2nd Grade but I still think clubs would rather win Colts 1. Particularly at the moment given Uni's dominance in Colts. They have made 10 GFs in a row and I are going for 5 premierships in a row and 9 of the last 10.
I also suspect that there may be more future rep players in Colts compared to 2nd Grade.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip........

I'd heard a rumour he was off to West Harbour for $850 a game.

Is that the going rate?

There are lawyers, accountants, dentists, Engineering consultants and other medical professionals who earn that before lunchtime each and every day.

Enough to encourage the rugby jocks on their scholarships to hit the books and try to get into Uni on (and do well at) one of these traditional high earning professions.

Not sure if it is statistically true or not, but I have heard that there are more Neurosurgeons in Australia than Professional Rugby players.

I use this "fact" as a motivator to try to encourage the Junior Jarses to focus on their studies rather than their dreams of Rugby Glory.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Oh and McCutcheon had a great game, first time I've seen him live up to the hype.

The hype only belongs at schoolboy and an occasional club match. That is his level.

Status
Not open for further replies.