• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Don't the Waratahs and Reds also force their players to play in the local club comps?
Happy to stand corrected but thought it was only the Brumbies - not that we'd really notice the impact of any Tah's policy on the SS. On point however , tending to suggest I am mistaken Matt Lucas has declared himself a Marlin.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Just to clarify:
the Brumbies actually allocate their contract players to clubs in the Dent Cup
the Reds and Waratahs don't do this, but I do believe their contracts state that they have to play in the local comp

Is this correct?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well most of the Brumbies don't come from Canberra so they have no pre-existing link with the clubs down there, it would make sense to allocate them. Most of the Tahs players grew up playing for one of the clubs so continue their professional careers with them.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds and Tahs both have 'must play in local comp' requirements.

The Force did not allow players to come back and play with their clubs in Brisbane last year.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The argument that these players should be allowed to come back to Sydney is very narrow minded. If the players play in the Dent Cup then over time this will help make that comp stronger

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
The argument that these players should be allowed to come back to Sydney is very narrow minded. If the players play in the Dent Cup then over time this will help make that comp stronger
Like I said the arguments are well rehearsed . The Dent what ? As Paul Keating said if you aren't living in Sydney you're camping out ! :) - but seriously re club championship what format or agreement lead to the recent Club Champions games - Syd Uni v Vikings , Syd Uni v Uni QLD . Was this an initiative of the all three clubs , did one drive it etc ? Did Vikings play Qld Uni ?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Like I said the arguments are well rehearsed . The Dent what ? As Paul Keating said if you aren't living in Sydney you're camping out ! :) - but seriously re club championship what format or agreement lead to the recent Club Champions games - Syd Uni v Vikings , Syd Uni v Uni QLD . Was this an initiative of the all three clubs , did one drive it etc ? Did Vikings play Qld Uni ?
lost me. All starts Thursday night.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yep Norths a good test - understand catering will be a bit better than the last night game v Wests or at least the pies and beer won't run out!
Hearty Oliver Pies, 5pm kick off, and it will be a good evening. Will the crew be back from the Hong Kong 10s

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I hope I'm proven wrong over time, but my concern with this approach is that the dilution of talent will cause the same deterioration in quality as I believe we've experienced at S15 level since the number of teams was increased from 3 to 5 ie the overall standard has declined and this has impacted on the Wallabies. Spreading the non-test S15 players across multiple competitions seems to be a direct contradiction to the often expressed need for a 3rd tier. I think we would be better off centralising the talent after the S15 is finished. Obviously my bias is towards the Shute Shield which I still believe can form the foundation for the 3rd tier. Certainly the Dent Cup has produced some high quality Wallabies (eg Gregan, Roff, Larkham, etc) without press ganging players from Sydney and Brisbane into the competition.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No it wouldn't - this was a chestnut last year for Manly with 6 players impacted in particular around Michael Hooper - George Smith running out on the Village Green for the Marlins in 2013 would pull an extra 1,000 through the gate but doubt it will happen . Jake White has insisted that Brumby players must play their club footy in the ACT ; no other franchise makes such demands not surprising given they would probably rather have their non core 22 players each week maintain form by competing in the strongest competition . The arguments for and against are well rehearsed on other threads but I think the most compelling against is whether the players are happy about it . Would White and Alexander choose to play in Canberra ? The counter point being they signed a contract didn't they and the enhancement of ACT club rugby.

They both chose to play in Canberra before they were Brumbies.........

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
They both chose to play in Canberra before they were Brumbies...

Did they? Nick White played for Eastwood 2 years ago before getting a fulltime Brumbies gig and I have vague memories of Alexanda also playing for Eastwood.

I pretty sure that Nick White would continue to play for Eastwood if he was allowed.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Ok Fellas, round one is just around the corner and most if not all sides have played their last trial matches. Anyone impressed by any certain individual or team looking to have a good 2013 campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.