• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
The Emus are always passionate about their cause but they need experience in coaching ranks and assistance from NSW Rugby which just doesn't happen. When have you seen a waratah or brumby play for penrith? Liam Winton went to Uni and now Richard Aho at randwick with a few other 1st graders. Is Jason Peseta still there or has he moved on to another club?

Emu's have lost a few with the three tight forwards now at Randwick, Mark Murray has returned to NZ and Cohen-Mason rumoured to be with Easts. Parra have picked up one Penrith First Grade player and all I will say is it's got nothing to do with money - unsure what's behind the decision of the other boys to move on but I thought they had a solid base to build on from 2012 but clearly they are starting from scratch again. Jason Paseta is rumoured (only rumour) to be going to the "other code" but I believe he will end up staying at Penrith.

They have some good people out there and I hope their passion pays off and they can get their processes right to begin building something sustainable for the long term. In terms of support from elsewhere it's not something they can count on - not sure on the history here in terms of how much support (financial or otherwise) they have had so probably a whole picture there that at least myself am not aware of.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The Emus are always passionate about their cause but they need experience in coaching ranks and assistance from NSW Rugby which just doesn't happen. When have you seen a waratah or brumby play for penrith? Liam Winton went to Uni and now Richard Aho at randwick with a few other 1st graders. Is Jason Peseta still there or has he moved on to another club?
THe Emu's in the past have had amongst their playing stocks Pete Besseling, Nathan Blacklock, Tui Talaia, Elvis Levi and Pete Niumata. All Super 14 or 15 players.In 2010 their front row had 2 Super players. I don't think it is the rugby community that is to blame. Quite simply this has been a traditionally strong league area. It might be time to cut bait. Or we risk becoming the Australian version of the CFL.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting to see how Souths go this year, they've lost quite a few players and will have some involved with the Waratahs now. Lost Brackin Karauria-Henry, Nicky Price, Dewet Roos, Sean Doyle all overseas mid-season last year. Grayson Hart, Jed Holloway, Lopeti Timani, Ben Volavola, John Ulugia might all be on extended Tahs duties as well.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Interesting to see how Souths go this year, they've lost quite a few players and will have some involved with the Waratahs now. Lost Brackin Karauria-Henry, Nicky Price, Dewet Roos, Sean Doyle all overseas mid-season last year. Grayson Hart, Jed Holloway, Lopeti Timani, Ben Volavola, John Ulugia might all be on extended Tahs duties as well.

they'll be just fine.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I have not heard the Wests losing Concord rumour myself and sincerely hope it is just yet another rubbish rumour. Both for Wests themselves and our code in general.

Personally, I just couldn't see it happening. They're one of Shute Shield's only profitable clubs and have been so for years!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Agree belly, Wests do make a profit and I'm currently putting an article together on the finances of all the Shute shield clubs. It will make for interesting reading.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree belly, Wests do make a profit and I'm currently putting an article together on the finances of all the Shute shield clubs. It will make for interesting reading.
I'm sure aot of people would be interested, were will it be posted?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why arnt more young players lured to Penrith - the chances for them to play 1st grade are greatly increased...the players would get great exposure to 1st grade and super rugby teams (watching) and also strengthen the Penrith side and the development and futre....I know if I was a young player coming out of playing for NSW/Aus as a junior - straight out of 1st XV...I would be looking at teams like Penrith...

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Why arnt more young players lured to Penrith - the chances for them to play 1st grade are greatly increased.the players would get great exposure to 1st grade and super rugby teams (watching) and also strengthen the Penrith side and the development and futre..I know if I was a young player coming out of playing for NSW/Aus as a junior - straight out of 1st XV.I would be looking at teams like Penrith.

I'd suggest there are a variety of reasons, especially the distance (and cost) to travel for training and playing if you (and your mates) don't live in the area. A lot of players also don't want to play for a club that regularly gets beaten and has very little chance of making the playoffs.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For those with FB and interested here is the link for Penrith's page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Penrith-Emus-Rugby-Club/217870781566126?fref=ts

Emu's have lost a few with the three tight forwards now at Randwick, Mark Murray has returned to NZ and Cohen-Mason rumoured to be with Easts. Parra have picked up one Penrith First Grade player and all I will say is it's got nothing to do with money - unsure what's behind the decision of the other boys to move on but I thought they had a solid base to build on from 2012 but clearly they are starting from scratch again. Jason Paseta is rumoured (only rumour) to be going to the "other code" but I believe he will end up staying at Penrith.

They have some good people out there and I hope their passion pays off and they can get their processes right to begin building something sustainable for the long term. In terms of support from elsewhere it's not something they can count on - not sure on the history here in terms of how much support (financial or otherwise) they have had so probably a whole picture there that at least myself am not aware of.

They might have to call Henry Scharf out of retirement, bet he still hits like a mac Truck!

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
For those with FB and interested here is the link for Penrith's page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Penrith-Emus-Rugby-Club/217870781566126?fref=ts

They might have to call Henry Scharf out of retirement, bet he still hits like a mac Truck!

In my opinion Penrith need to undertake a long term project to raise the profile and standing of the Club. Perhaps repetitively and continually been in a hurry to fix things and get things going has resulted in things falling apart over and over - hence the need to start from scratch every year or two. There is no quick solution and it will take 3-5 years to build something that people will really want to be a part of.

It is a challenging process for all involved - there are no guarantee's that committing to such a process will result in particular individuals being around to reap the benefits. Convincing stakeholders to come on board with such a process is challenging to say the least and it requires individuals to put ego etc aside for a greater cause - very difficult when dealing with such a large number of people. Right people in the right places sounds simple enough but very tricky. And there is a definite lifespan in terms to how many times you can get this wrong before it gets terminal.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
I have not heard the Wests losing Concord rumour myself and sincerely hope it is just yet another rubbish rumour. Both for Wests themselves and our code in general.

Personally, I just couldn't see it happening. They're one of Shute Shield's only profitable clubs and have been so for years!

Not many have heard the rumour Wests are losing Concord Oval because they are not. I guarantee it.
Also Kohen Mason rumoured to be at Easts is at Wests.
Don't believe everything you hear.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just saw a post from Penrith on FB about negative comments from other clubs etc...wonder what happened there?

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Not many have heard the rumour Wests are losing Concord Oval because they are not. I guarantee it.

That is good news regarding Concord. I am sure all S.S Clubs enjoy playing there (I don't personally - too hard to win there).

Regarding Kohen-Mason, a good pick up for West Harbour - the point remains he is lost to Penrith so undoubtately a blow for them. Tidy footballer though.

No one was believeing the rumours - thats why they are called rumours. Be great if all hearsay and rumours could be confirmed or dispelled so quickly on here.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
The Penrith dilemma is an interesting one. On the one hand you could dismiss the club as being dependent on out of area players, but on the other hand you have a club in heartland Sydney that could be critical to the long term growth of rugby.

I look at some clubs that have come from the abyss to be competitive. In the early 90s Sydney Uni was almost down and out but due to the work of Andrew Wennerbom and Buildcorp's support the club has prospered. More recently it seems Parra has started to re-emerge on the back of the triumvirate of GC/Belly/TPN et al.

Penrith needs some people of high profile to come in and build a sustainable future (John Bateman comes to mind immediately being an ex Panther director, mayor, and father of Aust schoolboy), and this calibre of person needs to be invited by the likes of Michael Hawker in the interests of the game.

SS is not a zero sum concept (ie one club's gain is another club' s loss) - rather it has the potential to be the third tier for Aust rugby.

B

BellyTwoBlues

The Penrith dilemma is an interesting one. On the one hand you could dismiss the club as being dependent on out of area players, but on the other hand you have a club in heartland Sydney that could be critical to the long term growth of rugby.

I look at some clubs that have come from the abyss to be competitive. In the early 90s Sydney Uni was almost down and out but due to the work of Andrew Wennerbom and Buildcorp's support the club has prospered. More recently it seems Parra has started to re-emerge on the back of the triumvirate of GC/Belly/TPN et al.

Penrith needs some people of high profile to come in and build a sustainable future (John Bateman comes to mind immediately being an ex Panther director, mayor, and father of Aust schoolboy), and this calibre of person needs to be invited by the likes of Michael Hawker in the interests of the game.

SS is not a zero sum concept (ie one club's gain is another club' s loss) - rather it has the potential to be the third tier for Aust rugby.

Agree.
The reality is the game needs Penrith in the comp and needs them to be competitive. Kicking them out, threatening punishment (to anyone), for struggling is not doing anyone any favours. If Penrith are lost to the comp, then they'll be lost forever. The game needs genuine leadership, definitive investment in long term development from the top to ensure 10% of Australia's population have access to the code.

It remains to be seen whether or not another CEO from Mosman will even know where the Western Suburbs even are!

B

BellyTwoBlues

Great news. It would just be wrong if Wests weren't at Concord.

Mason is a quality player and a good pick up for Wests too. He'll suit their style and provide a bit more ball for them. Anything could happen if Seavula gets more possession.

B

BellyTwoBlues

not to those in the know. How are you getting the information though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom