• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Penrith was never 17th strongest, and know where near it.
There was a push for growth out west by Mike Clay of SRU and others, and 20 years later there has been no growth.
The lack of growth should not fall on the shoulders of the Emu's or the Two Blus, it should fall on the holders of the NSWRU.

If NSWRU stimulated rugby in the juniors out west 15-20 years ago i believe the Emus may have ranked a little higher now.

I recall Drummoyne was relegated in 95, in 97 the Manly v Eastwood grand final included 4 Dirty Reds, and their were 4 others with other clubs who finished top 5. So Andrew i think you are a little out or biased. Timing.
Penrith played in Kentwell Cup and were promoted despite finishing around 4th place.
IIRC Drummoyne pretty much folded for a year when a proposed merger with Hunters Hill failed to be sustained, despite a number of Drummoyne players joining what was a super hot HH Kentwell Cup team in 1995 (my local team at the time).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Penrith played in Kentwell Cup and were promoted despite finishing around 4th place.
IIRC Drummoyne pretty much folded for a year when a proposed merger with Hunters Hill failed to be sustained, despite a number of Drummoyne players joining what was a super hot HH Kentwell Cup team in 1995 (my local team at the time).
Yes and 3 quality players from NZ in Yarney. G, Chris. A, and Marcus S, it didn't take DD long to climb back and stay there.

Andrew Sampson

Frank Row (1)
I agree the blame lies with the NSWRU & ARU. After seeing Penrith's and to a lesser degree Parramatta's scores in lower grades and the inability to fill colts teams over the last 15-20 years you can't help but think a 2nd division was the perfect place to develop clubs and/or allow them to rebuild. Does Campbelltown stay a subbies club forever? Does rugby keep its back turned on the potential resources Uni of NSW could offer or other Universities for that matter? Does the game benefit from Drummoyne's resources being thrown into subbies rugby? I might be a dinosaur but I see nothing wrong with every district having a rugby club that provides a pathway to Super Rugby etc and as I mentioned playing Subbies doesn't give these clubs a whole lot of credability or motivation to advance themselves and the game in their area.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...as-a-garbage-man/story-fndpt9s1-1226589455147

Fetuli Talanoa speaks of his time with Rabbitohs, illness and life as a garbage man
Sometimes, as the crisp morning air hits his face, the 25-year-old's mind wanders to back to his previous life; the glamour of an NRL career and $200,000 annual pay packet which he chose to walk away from this year.

Doors used to open for him, Talanoa recalls as he opens the lids of trash bins. "But you know what, it feels good doing this," Talanoa says.

"It is humbling to realise what everyday people go through - you don't take things for granted any more. I am grateful for what I have, for my family, I cherish it..............................

Unlike them, however, Talanoa wasn't lured by dollars and promises. His stocks with the Rabbitohs fell after his illness, and by negotiation he was released from a contract that expired at the end of 2013.

Rugby was his own move, but due to a lack of suitors, and the responsibility to partner Kristie and daughters Mercedii, 6, and Caprese, 4, Talanoa grinds the 5-10am weekday shift on the back of Woollahra Council's trucks.

He then trains with the Sydney University club in the evenings before returning to the home of in-laws Steve and June Bishop, where his family of four is living. It wasn't always the plan, but neither was playing 95 NRL games for Souths................. ................................. ...........................Talanoa scored 25 tries for the Rabbitohs between 2009 and 2010, and was forming a potent partnership with Greg Inglis before the pneumonia struck.

He struggled thereafter, going in and out of hospital for affiliated health issues, and managed just two appearances for Souths last season.

Talanoa says he has now returned to a physical state he has not been in since the pneumonia, and wonders whether his Uni clubmates think he is odd for his high-fiving and yahooing on the way to the training paddock.

"I don't want to be one of those players who switches to rugby at the end of my career, I want to have a proper go at it and, being only 25, I've got time to make it happen," says Talanoa.

Not even a recent phone call from the Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin could persuade Talanoa to change his mind. So he continues on his path, the long way around.

May be a good pick up for one of the S15 sides for 2014, pretty good centre for Souths

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
They've got one player in the seniors side, just checked it. He's their fly half/captain. Uni are not at their strongest atm, in a bit of a rebuilding phase.
Thanks hawktrain - any insights into the rest of the Hunter team? I suspect the Marlins will get a tough first up hit out. If we ever do see an expanded grade comp championship in some form Hunter Newcastle would have to be one region which might field a team so the game albeit a trial will be of interest.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Thanks hawktrain - any insights into the rest of the Hunter team? I suspect the Marlins will get a tough first up hit out. If we ever do see an expanded grade comp championship in some form Hunter Newcastle would have to be one region which might field a team so the game albeit a trial will be of interest.

They'll be a tough hitout, especially if Newcastle field their strongest side in one of the games rather than mixing them together into two teams. There are plenty of players in the N/H side who could mix it in the Sydney comp IMO. In fact theres actually a player in the N/H side who played first grade with Manly back in the mid 00's.

Not sure how strong a side Manly will send up here, but it should be a good quality couple of games. There are a couple of other trial games but not heaps up here, I know our club has this weekend off so there should be a decent crowd.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Out of a squad of nearly 50 I only noticed Steve Lamont, Junior To'o and the Manly player Paul Dan who was a lower grader at Manly. May of played the occasional game of firsts but usually due to injury from memory.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
May be a good pick up for one of the S15 sides for 2014, pretty good centre for Souths

The biggest thing that divides SS and Super Rugby is conditioning, not necessarily fitness but little minors bits and pieces like core and neck strength.

An ex-NRL players ticks those boxes and plenty of others, if he's a solid performer for Sydney Uni he'd be a terrific EPS pickup in 2014.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
As stated earlier we are taking Colts and Grade to play the Central Coast and the 2 Blues.
13.00 - Colts Gordon vs Central Coast will play 4 x 20 minute quarters
14.30 - Gordon Vs Central Coast - 2 x 30 minutes
1530 - Gordon Vs Parammatta - 2 x 40 minutes (I think its 40s not 100%)

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Yup, Parra are spread far and wide this weekend.

Grade (X1) V Gordon @ Mingarra Rec Club
Grade (X2) V Harlequins @ Campbelltown Showgrounds
Colts (X3) V Warringah @ Warringah

Will be good to minutes into the guys legs and start sorting through them all.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yup, Parra are spread far and wide this weekend.

Grade (X1) V Gordon @ Mingarra Rec Club
Grade (X2) V Harlequins @ Campbelltown Showgrounds
Colts (X3) V Warringah @ Warringah

Will be good to minutes into the guys legs and start sorting through them all.

What time are the games at Campbelltown? Would be good to go down with my kid brother and watch them as a break from my law books for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.